PDA

View Full Version : New Toolchain for KOS with newlib

GPF
August 10th, 2004, 16:23
Has anyone built a new toolchain with newlib for the newest Subversion build of KOS?

Thanks,
Troy

scherzo
August 11th, 2004, 14:30
I recently rebuilt my toolchain and KOS... about a few weeks ago. Here's the following versions that I used:

GCC 3.4.1
binutils 2.15
newlib 1.12.0
KOS 1.3.x subversion 147

Everything worked too! The only thing I needed to change was an objcopy switch for all my projects and the KOS examples.

WOW! I just looked at KOS's subversion site and it's up to 156 since I set up my new environment. Geez. Dan is working hard.

GPF
August 11th, 2004, 15:12
yeah I just recently rebuilt my toolchain up to 3.4.0 , but now with the recenty changes to KOS 1.3.X after subversion 147, needs to be rebuilt with newlib. I was hoping someone else already did it :) , otherwise I'll try to build it soon.

Troy

warmtoe
August 13th, 2004, 15:40
yeah I just recently rebuilt my toolchain up to 3.4.0 , but now with the recenty changes to KOS 1.3.X after subversion 147, needs to be rebuilt with newlib. I was hoping someone else already did it :) , otherwise I'll try to build it soon.
Troy

If you do get it done will you post it somewhere? I just don't have the strength at the moment to rebuild the world!

atani
August 13th, 2004, 20:20
If you do get it done will you post it somewhere? I just don't have the strength at the moment to rebuild the world!

If you are on Linux I can post a tarball of the entire chain, ARM and SH4..

warmtoe
August 15th, 2004, 01:50
If you are on Linux I can post a tarball of the entire chain, ARM and SH4..

I'm on Windows., but thanks.

GPF
August 15th, 2004, 17:29
that would be great if I was on linux :) I used to have a vmware linux partition set up, but I haven't used it for a long time, and just discovered I deleted it and never back it up. So I would need to recreate it. Probably easier to just built my own toolchain :)

Hopefully sometime this week I'll get a chance.

Troy

BlackAura
August 15th, 2004, 22:24
I could build a MinGW toolchain on my machine. It's a Linux box, but I have MinGW set up on here to cross-compile Windows apps.

GPF
August 15th, 2004, 23:52
that would be great. I was planning on building it for mingw anyway. since I could use it for the dcdev environment as well.

Troy

BlackAura
August 16th, 2004, 09:11
I can't get GCC 3.4.1 to build on MinGW. I'm getting some errors about undefined references to fork and kill.

GPF
August 17th, 2004, 11:12
Yeah I ran into those problems with 3.4.0 , it was a pain to fix.

A lot of Googling and lots of guessing to get it to build.
Thats kind of why I have been putting it off and hoping someone else would do it :) damn I'm feeling lazy lol

Troy

GPF
October 9th, 2004, 21:29
ok I attempted to build a new toolchain under mingw/msys with
GCC 3.4.2
binutils 2.14
newlib 1.12.0 with KOS patches

I was attempting to build with Jim Ursetto build script from http://3e8.org/hacks/dc/dc-chain-0.1.tgz , but I have been having a lot of problems. I was able to get the binutils, sh-elf-gcc , and newlib built, but even with workarounds on the internet been having a lot of problems getting sh-elf-g++ built. I am getting to the point were its trying to build in posix thread support, but it appears that the script creates hard links to the kos directories for the added support, but ming/msys doesn't support hard links, so I think I might have to manually copy kos/newlib headers to the /usr/local/dc/sh-elf/sh-elf/include folder before attempting again. I will retry again next week hopefully.

Troy

Ian_micheal
October 9th, 2004, 22:53
I had no luck doing it even from pre compiled im geting this error make[2]: kos-c++: Command not found no matter what i do using the set command all paths are set so it's a puzzle. When you get it done it be great to post it some were.

BlackAura
October 9th, 2004, 23:20
Now I apparently have my CPU overheating fixed (yay!) I might be able to build some. But not right now.

GPF
October 11th, 2004, 21:12
well manually copying in the newlib/kos headers appeared to work, with a couple of exceptions/workarounds :) , I was finally able to get the toolchain to build under mingw/msys . I haven't had a chance to compile KOS yet, and test it with anything to determine if it works or not . Hopefully tomorrow.

Troy

GPF
October 12th, 2004, 13:35
ok I finally got the newlib version of KOS 1.3 to build. I had to manually add the newlib export stubs, and change alot of Makefiles to get it to work.

But when testing any of the examples here is my output.

--

KallistiOS ##version##: Tue Oct 12 13:18:53 CDT 2004

davistr@dfw-xp-davist:/usr/local/dc/kos1.3/kos

*** ASSERTION FAILURE ***

Assertion "prev_inuse(p)" failed at malloc.c:3177 in `do_check_chunk'

arch: shutting down kernel

All threads (may not be deterministic):

addr tid prio flags wait_timeout state name

--end of list--

kernel panic: couldn't find a runnable thread

arch: aborting the system

Any ideas ?

Looks like it is trying to use KOS malloc instead of newlibs. Don't know if its mixing them up or not.

Thanks,
Troy