PDA

View Full Version : Kojima despises NES Metal Gear

wraggster
June 15th, 2011, 00:44
NES made Metal Gear famous but series creator Hideo Kojima abhors that version of the game, calling it "pitiful", an "abomination" and a stain on his career.

Kojima designed and made Metal Gear for Microsoft's MSX computer in 1987. He did not make the game for NES.

"I had absolutely no participation in the development of the NES version," Kojima told Nintendo Power (via GameSetWatch). "The NES version was a pitiful title developed cheaply and simply by a small team in Tokyo. That was during the bubble economy where anything and everything that was released would sell.

"I came across the game in a bargain bin and tried play it," he revealed, "but the game design is pretty bad. There is some gameplay that includes infiltrating a base that didn't exist in the original. However, even I, the developer of the original game, was unable to infiltrate the base even once.

"That title has only soiled my reputation."
Hideo Kojima
"Furthermore, being Metal Gear, it goes without saying that Metal Gear should make an appearance at the end. However, from what I've heard, due to the technically difficulties in displaying the sprite on the screen, they swapped Metal Gear out for a gigantic monitor. That made me see that whoever created the game had no sliver of appreciation for the players."

His caveat, however, was this: "Even though it was an abomination, it was during the bubble economy and it sold millions overseas.

"That title has only soiled my reputation."

Metal Gear went on to become a legendary video game property, propelling Kojima to superstar developer status.

The last pillar Metal Gear Solid instalment was Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on PS3. Metal Gear Solid: Rising, an action spin-off, is rumoured for release next year.

Where is Metal Gear Solid 5? It wasn't at E3, but Kojima is planning "something big" for Metal Gear's 25th anniversary next year (7th July 2012).

To plug the Metal Gear Solid hole until then, Konami will release a Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS3 and Xbox 360. It's due out in November and contains HD remasters of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-14-kojima-hates-nes-metal-gear-solid