PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft has “lost its way” with recent Halo releases

wraggster
July 11th, 2011, 18:12
In a surprise admission, the boss of Microsoft Game Studios Phil Spencer has claimed that the platform holder has “lost its way” with the smash hit Halo franchise.

The statement comes as Bungie makes an emotional farewell to fans, having officially stepped away from the series that it helped make into one of the most popular console IPs in the world.

As Microsoft’s own studio 343 Industries takes the helm of the next Halo trilogy, Spencer says that the anonymous stars of both Halo: Reach and Halo: ODST will be a thing of the past. The Master Chief is back.

“Playing as Master Chief, the ‘John Wayne character of the universe’, was a key part of what people loved about the franchise,” he said in the August 2011 issue of OXM.

“We really spent time thinking about the story arc that we want to tell, in the world, to get back to Master Chief. Make it simple. It’s not Halo-anything, it’s Halo 4. It’s the beginning of a new trilogy.

“That’s the role I want Halo to play. It’s not about re-enacting previous wars, it’s not the kind of comic-book pulp that Gears of War is which I obviously love. Halo is a very story-driven, immersive experience, centred around Master Chief.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-has-lost-its-way-with-recent-halo-releases/082215

WhizzBang
July 11th, 2011, 19:57
I have completed Halo 1, done 2/3rds of Halo 2 and about 1/3rd of Halo 3 and I can not say I even noticed the story. I just got from A to B on each level and occasionally looked at the pause screen to remind me what my objectives were. The central character did not matter to me one bit.

Fonixx
July 11th, 2011, 20:15
Thats what i always said about Halo, you play one you played them all, and i absolutely love FPS games but i just cannot comprehend the continued popularity of Halo because the game just never changes apart from the turd that was ODST, all it is is a well polished 90's style FPS where stuff like Gears Of War have moved the game on hugely, you can't say it's just fanboys buying it because there's really not many of them around anymore, so i dunno maybe Halo 4 sales are low enough to make them actually do something new on future Halo games.