PDA

View Full Version : (Australia) Modchippers Under Fire with New Law

wraggster
September 15th, 2006, 00:01
Users of modchipped videogame consoles could face fines of up to AU$6600 under new laws being put in place by the Australian Federal Government, a news alert from law firm Minter Ellison says. Those who distribute or offer modchipped devices could face fines of up to AU$60,500 and/or up to five years in jail.

The new laws, which are being put in place to comply with Australia's obligations under the Australia United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA), will be in effect from 1 January 2007. A draft of the legislation was released for public comment earlier this week. According to the Minter Ellison statement, the "AUSFTA requires Australia to prohibit the use of devices and services to circumvent technological protection measures (TPM)".

Some exemptions to the law will be put in place, including for those doing computer security testing, law enforcement and library use.

Video_freak
September 15th, 2006, 00:36
Australia was supposed to be the mid chip country... :(

skater9269
September 15th, 2006, 01:22
wtf what if you use it for homebrew

GobboFett
September 15th, 2006, 02:06
Jeez, I live in Australia and the Mod Chip "Laws" keep changing like the seasons. First it was illegal, then it wasn't, then it was again, then it wasn't again and NOW it is illegal again?! Holy christ :eek: Why don't I just go live in Mexico, everything is legal there :p

opiate81
September 15th, 2006, 09:30
you could still softmod your consoles though :p
and stick with the trusty 1.5 psp :)
I think it will hurt us in a few years though :(

ACID
September 15th, 2006, 09:37
I dont think it would hurt keeping the psp 1.50 in a few years. The coders will progress as sony does its thing.