PDA

View Full Version : Fighting game genre won't collapse again - Ono

wraggster
August 1st, 2011, 17:48
Street Fighter IV producer and Capcom veteran Yoshinori Ono, a key driving force behind the recent resurgence in fighting games, has said he doesn't expect the genre to crash again through over saturation like it did in the 90s.

Using the first person shooter genre as an example of a crowded yet continually successful marketplace, Ono said the fighting genre is capable of sustaining its recent momentum.

"For first person shooters, you have Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, and other games," he told Siliconera. "It would be awesome to get fighting games that big. I don't think it will ever get quite that far, but I think it is possible for fighting games to thrive, you can see how long the FPS genre sustained itself without collapsing, and I think we can do the same this time.

"The key is not just attracting new fans, but keeping current fans satisfied, keeping them plugged in, and interacting with the community," the Street Fighter x Tekken producer added.

"We need to make sure the player's voices are heard and they feel cared for. As long as we treat the fans right and cater to them, I think they will stick with us for the long haul. I don't think we will see the bubble burst like the way did in the '90s."

These days, the idea of fighting games reaching Call of Duty levels of success seems far-fetched, but in 1991 few games could match the popularity of Street Fighter 2. At its height, the arcade game is rumoured to have caused a 100 yen coin shortage in Japan.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313569/fighting-game-genre-wont-collapse-again-ono/