PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - How To Make Your Nintendo Wifi USB Connector A SoftAP

kcajblue
September 17th, 2006, 03:33
Ok. If you are an owner of a DS and a PSP and you only have a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector to connect to the internet with you can use this tutorial to change your Nintendo Wifi USB Connector in to a SoftAP so you can connect online with any other devices like a PSP.

To do this you need to have this rar file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S4VLBP9A
or you can get it from here:
http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/nin_wifi_Fullpack.rar

You can also watch a video of me installing the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector if you dont feel like reading.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=31QXFFP2

Then follow these steps:
1)
If you want to use the official Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector as a standard SoftAP make sure you have removed the Nintendo software and drivers as they will no longer be needed.
2)
Inside the Drivers folder of the RAR file, you will find modified Buffalo drivers. Install these drivers for the USB Connector. Then install the ASUS software (also in RAR file(eng_2371.zip)). When it prompts you to restart, select No. I have found that there is no need to.
3)
Now in the ASUS EXEs folder of the RAR file, extract the six EXE files in the into the ASUS folder (C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities). Make sure you overwrite the existing files.
4)Then click Start -> All Programs -> ASUS Utility -> WLAN Card -> ASUS WLAN Control Center. You will get a dialog asking if you want to use the Windows configuration utility or the ASUS one, select the option that uses ASUS one and disables the Windows one. Then there will be a wizard. Click Cancel to close the wizard.
5)
Now copy the file (C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities\Driver\WinXP\AP\rt2500usb.sys) to (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers). Make sure you overwrite the existing file.
6)
Right-click on the ASUS software icon in the System Tray (bottom-right corner of screen) and select Wireless Settings. When the settings dialog opens, on the left select Config, then go to the SoftAP tab, and select Soft AP Mode. Then un-tick the Enable ICS checkbox. Then on the left click Apply. You will get a message box asking if you really want to change to SoftAP mode, click Yes. A message will come up saying something like "add the adapter to the network bridge", just ignore it and click OK. If all has gone well, there will be no error messages. Now close the ASUS Wireless Config utility or it will start conflicting when we manually set ICS.
7)
Now go to Control Panel -> Network Connections (this may have opened automatically opened up when you Applied the SoftAP settings). Right-click on the Network Adapter you are currently accessing your Internet through (or your internet connection icon) and open the properties for that connection. Go to the Advanced tab, and click "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". Then click OK. If you get an error message saying the IP address is already in use, disable the Network adapter you are trying to share then try again - be sure to enable it again afterwards. It can take a long time for ICS to be enabled so wait patiently.
8)
Now right-click on the Wireless Network Connection and click Properties. In the middle of the dialog there will be some protocols, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then open the properties for that. Windows would have assigned a static IP address if ICS was successfully enabled, check to make sure this IP address does not conflict with other IP addresses on your network. Also, it should be on a different subnet to the Local Area Connection (for example, my computer's IP address is 192.168.0.2, I assigned the wireless network connection the IP address of 192.168.1.1 - which is on a different subnet). If it is on the same subnet, ICS will not work correctly.
***9)***
With that done, open the ASUS Wireless Config utility again. On the left select Config, in the Basic tab set a SSID. In the encryption tab, select Shared for Network Authentication and WEP for Data Encryption - I have found that this works with the DS. Now enter a WEP key. Go back to the Basic tab, and at the bottom click on Advanced, change the 54g Mode setting to 802.11b only. Click Apply on the left to save the settings.
10)
Now turn on your DS, play a Wi-Fi Connection game, go to the Nintendo WFC Settings, and select Manual Setup. Enter the SSID and WEP Key (both of these are case-sensitive) you entered to the ASUS Config utility before. Select No to Auto-obtain IP Address (you must do this because the Nintendo DS doesn't seem to DHCP correctly with ICS for some reason). Now give your DS an IP Address (this must be on the same subnet as the USB connector, I gave my DS the IP address: 192.168.1.2). For subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0. For gateway and primary DNS, enter the IP address of the USB connector. Now try and test connection, and if all has gone well the connection should be successful!
11)
Now with the ASUS Wireless Config utility, hide your SSID, and use MAC Address filtering to improve the security of your wireless access point.
12)
You now have an Official Nintendo Wifi USB Connector that can connect online with any other devices. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note 1:
I did not make this guide. I just happened to find it and want to share it with everyone else because it helped me a lot.

***Note 2:***
I use different I use different ASUS WLAN Card settings than the ones in step 9 so I can connect with the DS and PSP at the same time.
here are my settings:

Basic Tab
-Network Type - Infrastructure
-Network Name (SSID) - Hide SSID
-Channel - 6
-Data Rate - Fully Auto
-PS Mode - CAM
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/7373/01uc6.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Encryption Tab
-Network Authentication - Open
-Data Encryption - Disabled
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/4268/02em2.jpg
Advanced Tab
-RTS Threshold - 2347
-Fragmentation Threshold - 2346
-Preamble Mode - Long
-Frame Bursting - Disabled
-54g Mode - 54g Auto
-54g Protection - Auto
-Use Short Slot Time - Disable
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/453/03ru2.jpg
Soft AP Tab
-Soft AP / STA Mode - Soft AP Mode
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8420/04ye4.jpg
Access Control Tab
-Access Control Policy - Accept
-Access Control List - (enter the MAC Addresses of your device)
http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/5228/05dl4.jpg

Lampdevil
September 19th, 2006, 02:58
Awesome guide, simply awesome. Although I've been mucking about with it in a desperate attempt to do something that I probably shouldn't...

Hokay, so I've got Windows 2000. And I'm too stubborn to return my newly-gifted WiFi Dongle-thinger to the store without seeing if I can do SOMETHING to make 'er go. As it is known (and as it said on the box, too!) it's only intended for use with Windows XP. But I'm stubborn and a bit stupid... So I tried this out, everything sets up fine, except for the Internet Connection Sharing. I can get my DS to recognize the access point, but the access point can't get on the internet.

It may be relevant that my computer connects through a router. Just a plain ol' non-wireless router. So I'm probably mis-configuring an IP somewhere along the line. Grr.

Perhaps I'm just trying a touch too hard to do something that I can't... :(

pibs
September 19th, 2006, 07:09
cool im bookmarking this so when i get my ds pretty soon i dont have to go searching.

Thanks kcajblue

kcajblue
September 20th, 2006, 00:25
Hokay, so I've got Windows 2000. And I'm too stubborn to return my newly-gifted WiFi Dongle-thinger to the store without seeing if I can do SOMETHING to make 'er go. As it is known (and as it said on the box, too!) it's only intended for use with Windows XP. But I'm stubborn and a bit stupid... So I tried this out, everything sets up fine, except for the Internet Connection Sharing. I can get my DS to recognize the access point, but the access point can't get on the internet.

It may be relevant that my computer connects through a router. Just a plain ol' non-wireless router. So I'm probably mis-configuring an IP somewhere along the line. Grr.

Perhaps I'm just trying a touch too hard to do something that I can't... :(well. having windows 2000 is most likely your problem. but tell me your ASUS WLAN Card Settings and the internet Settings on your DS.

cool im bookmarking this so when i get my ds pretty soon i dont have to go searching.

Thanks kcajblueno problem. :D

kcajblue
September 21st, 2006, 01:45
i updated the video on installing the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector.

Lampdevil
September 22nd, 2006, 00:06
Mmmyes, the Windows 2000 may be the heart of my problem. I've done further browsing and putzing and putzing and browsing, and I can get my DS dongle to work! My DS gets the signal. Your drivers don't seem to skip a beat. My major issue was the firewall preventing me from getting out. I've gotten it going.

BUT... now my problem is that after a bit of working, Internet Connection Sharing goes and flips the hell out, refuses to play nice with my router, and eventually robs me of all Internet connectivity entirely. At least, until I turn ICS off and restart. I'm assuming that the IPs are conflicting horribly.

So lesse, relevant info...

ASUS WLAN Settings

Encryption: Shared, WEP
Soft AP: Soft AP Mode
Access Control: Accept (with my DS's MAC address assigned, among other pertinent ones)
Advanced settings:

http://www.icebreed.com/ducky/ASUS_WLAN.jpg

I will note that my Soft AP tab doesn't have all the pretty graphics and additional junk that your screenshot does. Win2k wonkiness? ICS had to be enabled manually, and the IPs had to be set. Which, speaking of IPs...

Router's IP - 192.168.1.1

My computer/main Ethernet card's IP - 192.168.1.101 (Although this'll tend to crap itself after ICS is on too long or I restart with ICS turned on for this connection, and it'll tend to become something random that shows no relation to anything anywhere.)

WiFi's assigned IP - 192.168.2.1
DS's assigned IP - 192.168.2.2

If there's some other specific info you need, feel free to ask and I'll dig it up. I've narrowed the issue down to some kind of insane conflict with how ICS works and what my router expects. There's no problem at all making the WiFi itself work. It's all peachy. I'm hoping that the way Win2k handles ICS isn't the reason the dongle wasn't meant to be used with this OS.

kcajblue
September 22nd, 2006, 00:16
try changing your WiFi's assigned IP & your DS's assigned IP to something thats not 192.168.x.x

Lampdevil
September 22nd, 2006, 02:52
try changing your WiFi's assigned IP & your DS's assigned IP to something thats not 192.168.x.x

Hrmm, there's a thought. So I could bump 'em both to 193.168.x.x instead or something, and it'd still be functional?

Let's give 'er a go!

....and so far, so good! No bizzare problems as of yet. Thanks for the help. :D

kcajblue
September 22nd, 2006, 02:57
no problem. your happiness is my reward. lol :D

RadioPunker
September 29th, 2006, 01:47
I don't understand. I download the rar and extracted it. I uninstalled the nintendo program and all that. Then when I put the wifi connector in my usb drive I got the new harddrive message thingy, but I didn't get one for the buffalo drivers (which you have to install to the connecter?) in the video it does the hardware installer for the buffalo thing. How do I install that to my wifi connector?

EDIT: ok i figured that out. Now my problem is when I go to the ASUS Wlan Wireless Settings the Enable ICS option is disabled so I cant uncheck it. I'm not sure what to do.

EDIT2: Solved that problem myself too :P. Now when I try to allow other connections in on my main connection I get the ip in use error. But it still comes up even if I disable the other one. What do I do? I am under a router if that makes any difference.

kcajblue
September 29th, 2006, 01:59
did you pick SoftAP mode

ellishnoo
October 8th, 2006, 19:30
[QUOTE=kcajblue]Ok. If you are an owner of a DS and a PSP and you only have a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector to connect to the internet with you can use this tutorial to change your Nintendo Wifi USB Connector in to a SoftAP so you can connect online with any other devices like a PSP.)

Is i possible for me to use this set up to use aircrack, Ive got the key connecting to the internet fine using the recomended drivers, but cant get asu to install properly, not bothered using it for the nintendo gaming, just wanna use it to get free internet access

Is it possible you can tell me what asus configuration managerr you were using as from these pictures its clear it wasnt the one in the package.

Thanks

Elli

Many Thanks

kcajblue
October 8th, 2006, 19:53
i do use the software that came in the package.

killaruna810
October 9th, 2006, 21:01
ok, at step two, in the drivers folder there are system files and a securtiy log, how do i run them?

also, on those exes.(the 6 in that folder), it doest run, it says it cant find a wireless lan card, i really need help.

kcajblue
October 10th, 2006, 00:25
you are supposed to install those drivers for the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector. the 6 exe's are supposed to go in another folder when you install the ASUS software.
btw. did you watch the video of me installing it. it should help a lot.

killaruna810
October 10th, 2006, 21:46
ah, video i shoulda checked that out. thanks. ill try it soon.

EDIT

more problems, i go up to step 5 where you go to program files and do the card setttings. So I plug the USB connector in, it says it has a low signal strength, and i go to the program files, and it says that it wont work and it will once it can find the tray file.
Why?

Also, the right window went up, i clicked cancel because i wasnt up to that part yet(was experimenting) DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, tried again and it didnt work, maybe i should restart? I'll try tomorrow.

kcajblue
October 11th, 2006, 02:31
try uninstalling everything then starting over.

killaruna810
October 11th, 2006, 23:41
ok, now i did that, it worked UP TO STEP 6. When I uncheck ICS, there is no internet connection in the white box, so i drag something over, and it doesnt work! :(

kcajblue
October 11th, 2006, 23:55
it has to be the internet connection of the internet on your computer.

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 00:10
yeah, so sorry for asking you a bunch of things because i keep on "lagging". I got uber far, up to the part where you play the game. it says an error code (not sure what exactly). I THINK 52100. not sure. but uhh im pretty sure its because of the IP adresses's i chose. Is it possible for you to give me IP adresses's to put in? Thanks! If not, can i give you my IP for the USB dealy, and you can give me the one to put on the DS? Because im really confused about that whole subnet stuff.

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 00:15
allright. ill post a picture. hold on.

EDIT: here is a picture
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9438/2uu0.jpg

for the settings on the DS. use manual settings
IP: 192.168.0.13
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
1st DNS: 192.168.0.1
2nd DNS: keep it blank
those were the settings i remembered from the top of my head. if i missed anything tell me.

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 00:24
k,cuz the DS sees the router and stuff, so its giving off the signal, i just have an IP adress problem.

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 00:27
my Nintendo Wifi USB Connector's IP is 192.168.0.1
my DS's IP is 192.168.0.11
they have to be different

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 00:28
oh, so the last two numbers can just be changed? k, ill try it out.

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 00:37
yeah i got error 52100. again. hmm

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 00:43
what are your IP's

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 00:47
on the bottom right of my screen, where the computer gives off those lines,(wireless network connection status)

the IP says

oh, and for some reason when you told me to "un-tick ICS" i "un-ticked" it. and then it "re-ticks"

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 01:00
what about the IP on your DS and computer

it should re tick after you "allow other users to use the connection" or what ever the thing said.

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 14:20
how do i find those? hm.

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 14:35
you can find the one for the DS by using a wireless game to configure your internet settings on the DS.

killaruna810
October 14th, 2006, 22:31
i can only find my mac-adress can you tell me where, plz? and also for the computer.

EDIT- IT WORKS!! THANKS!! if there is any other problems later, i'll post here thanks!

kcajblue
October 15th, 2006, 00:10
good to see it works! :D

killaruna810
October 15th, 2006, 16:53
quick question, is it possible to have 2 DS's connected at the same time while still using the settings you said in step 9? or do i have to change them?

kcajblue
October 15th, 2006, 18:01
as long as both DS IP's are different it should work.

Merkage
October 21st, 2006, 02:24
Uhh...
I think I had the same problem as killaruna810.
Can I ask, how did you get it to work...?

dbzimran
November 9th, 2006, 16:50
i want my nintendo wifi regiteration tool back but i installed this now i dont want it so i uninstalled the asus programs and the drivers and i install the original drivers the nintendo ds internet connection pops up and theres a error i want my nintendo wifi usb connector registeration tool back please can some help me please

mnuhaily22
November 9th, 2006, 17:36
Awesome stuff you got here, nice guide.

Mathewie
November 12th, 2006, 14:19
I dont get it i uninstalled all the nintendo wifi stuff but i still recouldnizes it as the nintendo thing

kcajblue
November 12th, 2006, 16:35
it doesnt matter. just as long as you install it as the buffalo adapter.

chanlord
November 20th, 2006, 17:00
ok, now i did that, it worked UP TO STEP 6. When I uncheck ICS, there is no internet connection in the white box, so i drag something over, and it doesnt work! :(

I'm having a similar problem here, where the my Internet Connection isn't showing up in the Wireless Settings and drag and dropping my connection from the Network Connections doesn't seem to work. What can be done?

Also, I get the following error message when accessing the SoftAP tab in the Wireless Settings.

Access violation at address 0057403F in module 'Wireless.exe'. Read of the address 027A3744

Would that be affecting it?

Andrew052
December 26th, 2006, 05:55
"Communication With the Server Failed.
A DNS error has Occurred.
(80410410)"

I get that error. It connects to it fine but then when I try to view a webpage I get that error.

My psp's ip is 192.168.0.4
The defaut router on my psp is set to 192.168.0.1
The primary dns on my psp is set to 192.168.0.1

On my computer the wireless conection ip is set to

my computers ip is 192.168.1.101

VampDude
December 28th, 2006, 22:20
thanks for telling the world your IP addresses, now everybody knows where you live and you will have no privacy! lmao

xnobugx
January 12th, 2007, 23:17
Can someone tell me what to do on step 5? It won't let me uncheck the enable ICS box, it's grey.

kcajblue
January 13th, 2007, 20:13
are you in softap mode.

killaruna810
January 26th, 2007, 18:35
k, i know i had problems before and after that it worked fine. Now, for some reason, it stopped working so I decided to reinstall. Everything works fine up to step 7, where you have to manually allow ICS. When I click the box to enable it in the network connections menu, I get this error:

An error occured while Internet connection sharing was being enabled. The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Can you please help me, once again?

Miika
February 3rd, 2007, 10:18
First of all, thanks for posting this, I've been using this for several months now, BUT, does this software and drivers work in Windows Vista?
I can't install it before I know, so please tell me xD
Thank you.

Raekwik11
February 3rd, 2007, 23:18
First of all, thanks for posting this, I've been using this for several months now, BUT, does this software and drivers work in Windows Vista?
I can't install it before I know, so please tell me xD
Thank you.to tell you the truth, i really dont know.

kcajblue
February 3rd, 2007, 23:23
^ that was supposed to be my post but my brother was logged in and i thought it was me.

softhands
February 6th, 2007, 07:34
Hi, I read on one of the other sites you've posted this tutorial on that someone has gotten this to work on the wii. So I was fooling around and somehow, only once, did i get this to show up as an AP on the wii... but i forgot the WEP key, and now i cant get it to find it again. Has anyone here had any luck?

Mike83
February 9th, 2007, 14:48
Can this work if I have a setup as followed:

I am using the cable modem my ISP gave me, connected to the main computer via USB. This then shares its internet via a wired network connection and ICS with a second PC.

If i wanted to add wireless to this set up for the Wii. Would it work, and if so, is it simple to do?

Thanks

striker911
February 18th, 2007, 18:02
Hey, this is a very nice hack, despite the fact I'm having a problem. In step 4, When I hope ASUS WLAN Control Center, It shows me this: http://i5.tinypic.com/4dwkhhl.jpg so can you tell me what's wrong? I did step 3 correctly.

kcajblue
February 18th, 2007, 18:16
ive never seen that error before.

striker911
February 18th, 2007, 20:48
ive never seen that error before.

So you're saying I can't do this?

kcajblue
February 18th, 2007, 21:01
you might have just did something wrong.
did you watch the video i made.

striker911
February 19th, 2007, 16:59
you might have just did something wrong.
did you watch the video i made.

Yes, I did. When I open the ASUS WLAN Control Center, I don't get this: http://i5.tinypic.com/4910zf5.jpg

I get the other pop up I showed you in my previous post. I'm guessing you don't know why? If it helps, I'm using vista. I'm using this because my wifi connector doesn't support vista so I wanted to try this.

keefurxxcore
February 19th, 2007, 17:38
do they sell the wifi thing at eb or gamestop?

kcajblue
February 19th, 2007, 19:25
Yes, I did. When I open the ASUS WLAN Control Center, I don't get this: http://i5.tinypic.com/4910zf5.jpg

I get the other pop up I showed you in my previous post. I'm guessing you don't know why? If it helps, I'm using vista. I'm using this because my wifi connector doesn't support vista so I wanted to try this.i guess vista isnt supported then.

do they sell the wifi thing at eb or gamestop?they should. if they dont you can get it at circuit city or probably best buy.

Mike83
March 2nd, 2007, 11:44
When I get to step 4 and try to open 'ASUS WLAN Control Center' I get the following image:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6353/wirelesslessnesssh6.jpg

I'm running vista though :(

kcajblue
March 2nd, 2007, 23:43
dunno if it works on vista.
might not. might.

jondoe696911
March 10th, 2007, 02:39
quick question, i got the connector for my wii. i do enjoy mt wii, if only to hold me over till i can buy a ps3, but i then found this excellent tutorial. immediately i tried it, and my psp hooks up fine no problems, the wii on the other hand now doesnt connect to the internet. any clue as to why this happens? anyone get both a wii and a psp to connect?.

wolfmasterkouga
March 10th, 2007, 03:52
How can I uninstall this program? Because I just bought a D-Link wireless internet for 30$, and this wireless USB ninitendo thing won't go away > : (

lightningdude
March 29th, 2007, 08:10
My connection works and hooks up just fine, but after a while, my Nintendo USB dongle stops. The computer says the wireless connection is still active, but I can't connect my DS to the Wi-fi.

The light on the dongle stops flashing, if that helps any. What must I do to fix that?

Classic80s
April 1st, 2007, 19:58
will this work on ds lite?

[R]ixile
April 5th, 2007, 02:57
In Step 6 when I switch over to SoftAP mode, I get an error message stating "Cannot copy driver to system directory" So eh...I'm lost.

Kingstevie
April 7th, 2007, 19:53
Wow nice steps! Thanks! (Running XP) One problem though, when trying to install the drivers to the USB, it says the "Microsoft licience" thing, I hit continue anyway and it comes up "The file 'rt25usbap.sys' on Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and hit ok"

Any idea of how to get around this? Thanks!

AGM3002
April 10th, 2007, 22:22
LOL I can't even get pass the 1st step

Ok, the video shows the divers being install in the BUFFALO WLI-U2-KG54-YB dive. But, where do I find this BUFFALO WLI??

Also, will this make my laptop go wireless? Or is it just for psp/ps3..ect

Sorry for being a noob here.

Dash Krimson
April 24th, 2007, 07:39
Can this work if I have a setup as followed:

I am using the cable modem my ISP gave me, connected to the main computer via USB. This then shares its internet via a wired network connection and ICS with a second PC.

If i wanted to add wireless to this set up for the Wii. Would it work, and if so, is it simple to do?

Thanks

You probably already know this, and I'm not so much replying to you as telling other n00bz how to do it, but that's a big, fat :thumbup:, good buddy. Here's my setup, and how I got it to work;

1x PC running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
1x USB ADSL modem set to auto-obtain IP address (I'm sure DSL/Cable modems via USB will work too)
1x NIC, IP 192.168.0.1
1x Xbox 360, connected to NIC via crossover ethernet cable
1x Playstation 3, same (though not at the same time as the Xbox 360, and vice versa)
1x Nintendo DS Lite
and, of course, 1x Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Firstly, complete the installation process as detailed in the OP. Now, after you've finished, and are testing your DS's connection with a NWFC-enabled game, you may find that your DS won't connect, and will give you an error code - 52100, I think. This happened to me too, and it's because ICS can only work for one type of connection - in my case, I had it connecting to my local area connection (LAC from now on), so it wouldn't share with my new wireless connection.

The solution to this problem was to open Network Connections in Control Panel, select both the LAC and the wireless connection, and bridge the connections together. This makes both connections use the same private IP, in my case, 192.168.0.1. From there, I opened the wireless settings dialog, clicked on config, went to the Soft AP tab, drag-n-dropped the LAC from the "Available Network Connections" window to the "Home Network" window, and then clicked Apply. After a few seconds, the setting was applied, and I clicked OK to exit the settings dialog. I then tested all the machines' connections to the Internet, and all turned out OK. I then tried connecting with both my DS (wireless) and my 360 (wired), and both connections worked without a hitch - SUCCESS!!! :D

Now, I'm wondering if I can get my 60gig PS3 to connect to the wi-fi dongle, whether on its own or together with the DS (I have a feeling that doing that with the 360 would present no problems, as long as all the private IPs were different, as they should be) - hell, maybe it'd work with all three together (DS & PS3 wireless, 360 wired)! I guess I'll try that out later...'cos right now, I need to sleep...zzzzzzzzzz...

Keilick
April 24th, 2007, 18:26
I've got everything working up until the part where I test my DS with the connector, what happens is that the connector is receiving the data but it isn't transmitting any of it, any suggestions?

Keilick
April 24th, 2007, 18:28
Wow nice steps! Thanks! (Running XP) One problem though, when trying to install the drivers to the USB, it says the "Microsoft licience" thing, I hit continue anyway and it comes up "The file 'rt25usbap.sys' on Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and hit ok"

Any idea of how to get around this? Thanks!

Use the location of the "Drivers" folder from the nin_wifi_Fullpack.rar file you downloaded

Dthruking
April 26th, 2007, 04:52
hi im having some troulbe with this....im trying to connect my psp to the internet with the nintendo wifi usb adapter..everything on the pc part went fine but when i try to do it on the psp it screws up...i try to test the connection and it says this:

A connection error has occured
A connection to the access point could not be established.
Check the security settings for the network and try again.

Connection Name: NWCUSBAP
SSID: NWCUSBAP

someone try and help please

thanks

Dthruking

Hyrule_boy
May 4th, 2007, 23:30
When I'm installing the drivers in the drivers folder it asks me for the USB Wifi stick CD...

imprompt
May 7th, 2007, 14:08
I've sucessfully modified the driver but have had no luck connecting to WI-Fi Homebrew- just keep looking for a connection, any suggestions

NintyFanGirl
May 20th, 2007, 16:12
It does work with the PS3

With me it managed to work with the PS3, Wii, DS & PSP

Also if you have a wireless connection like a Home Hub but you can't plug it onto your computer because it is too far away you can turn it to station mode and it will receive the signal and connect to the internet.

Jongamer
May 28th, 2007, 03:30
Yeah Somebody freakin help me,

"Cannot copy driver to system directory"
Error when I try to switch to Soft ap mode

soma36
June 2nd, 2007, 10:34
ok, everything really simple up until step 6 where I right click, go to wireless settings, click config, switch to soft ap mode........

two problems

one is that enable ICS box is grayed out as enabled.

so hoping that something might give after I applied the settings I also get the "cannot copy driver to system directory" error.

The only thing that happened different from the video was when I copied the usb.sys file to the system32 file it didnt overwrite anything before.

I got this yesterday and linked it up with the normal software/drivers from Nintendo through my DS to make sure, but removed them completely...so I cant imagine what the issue is.......

:(

ok, figured out the ICS deal, I had to drag the right connection which was automatically done in the video. I had a few to choose from (I have a disabled wireless connection, a bluetooth connection, the normal 1394 and my main LAN connection), but I dragged my broadband connection just like the video, disable ICS and applied. Still the same message.

I even double checked that I put the usb.sys file in the system32/driver file..........as I said, was there supposed to be one that was overwritten? (un the video there was a 136 over written by the 101 that I got from the fullpack.zip)

??????

F2bnp
June 11th, 2007, 21:43
Hi I tried to use your guide and did exactly as it says,but when I try to connect with an WFC game,the signal is at full for some seconds and then just hangs out and I can't connect to the server.Previously I had the same error,but I figured out a kept making a mistake,by using the current network connection's as default gateway and primary dns.I got past this error but then I had another.This is from another forum:

Although the programs find my access point they stuck in authenticating for a while and then they say they can't connect.Official wifi games work perfectly.What should I do?I'm using M3 Simply.

On now i've got some progress.I put network authentication to OPEN and with win2DS I managed to get to the waiting screen after the password.But then nothing happens.Also official games won't connect to WFC when put to OPEN.

Here is the whole thread:

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22148

Plz help me this is serious prob.

ren102686
June 19th, 2007, 02:47
Hey, I'm new to these forums :)

For everyone trying to connect the Wii to the USB adapter, I wanted to show the configuration that actually worked for me. After tinkering with the settings and reinstalling, etc., I've finally gotten the adapter to work with the Wii console.

Here are my settings:

SSID: Ren (I didn't hide it, so I'm not sure if it will work if it's hidden)

Channel: 1 (If your Wii has trouble detecting the adapter, try either 6 or 11)
54g Mode: 802.11b only

Network Authentication: Open (won't work as shared)

As far as the Wii console goes, I was able to just detect the access point. No need for manual setup unless you have your connection encrypted or your SSID hidden.

Hope this helps! :D

Kraton
July 7th, 2007, 20:22
I've got a problem. I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate and deleted XP and so I tried to install this softApmod too but Asus Control center.exe won't work. Error: "The application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000005). "

This is serious problem so please help!

xylos
July 11th, 2007, 23:04
Anybody know how to fix the cannot connect to the wireless lan card message whenever you try to double click on the ASUS WLAN Control Center icon?

AiEri
July 24th, 2007, 03:53
I got thru the step by step guide without any hitches.
However i still cannot connect my psp and ps3 to the connector..
(my ds and wii is fine.)

any ideas where i went wrong?
the ps3 cannot even get pass the ip address of connecting.

Mike83
August 8th, 2007, 00:38
You probably already know this, and I'm not so much replying to you as telling other n00bz how to do it, but that's a big, fat :thumbup:, good buddy. Here's my setup, and how I got it to work;

1x PC running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
1x USB ADSL modem set to auto-obtain IP address (I'm sure DSL/Cable modems via USB will work too)
1x NIC, IP 192.168.0.1
1x Xbox 360, connected to NIC via crossover ethernet cable
1x Playstation 3, same (though not at the same time as the Xbox 360, and vice versa)
1x Nintendo DS Lite
and, of course, 1x Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Firstly, complete the installation process as detailed in the OP. Now, after you've finished, and are testing your DS's connection with a NWFC-enabled game, you may find that your DS won't connect, and will give you an error code - 52100, I think. This happened to me too, and it's because ICS can only work for one type of connection - in my case, I had it connecting to my local area connection (LAC from now on), so it wouldn't share with my new wireless connection.

The solution to this problem was to open Network Connections in Control Panel, select both the LAC and the wireless connection, and bridge the connections together. This makes both connections use the same private IP, in my case, 192.168.0.1. From there, I opened the wireless settings dialog, clicked on config, went to the Soft AP tab, drag-n-dropped the LAC from the "Available Network Connections" window to the "Home Network" window, and then clicked Apply. After a few seconds, the setting was applied, and I clicked OK to exit the settings dialog. I then tested all the machines' connections to the Internet, and all turned out OK. I then tried connecting with both my DS (wireless) and my 360 (wired), and both connections worked without a hitch - SUCCESS!!! :D

Now, I'm wondering if I can get my 60gig PS3 to connect to the wi-fi dongle, whether on its own or together with the DS (I have a feeling that doing that with the 360 would present no problems, as long as all the private IPs were different, as they should be) - hell, maybe it'd work with all three together (DS & PS3 wireless, 360 wired)! I guess I'll try that out later...'cos right now, I need to sleep...zzzzzzzzzz...

Legend! I got this working when I first asked, but had since reformatted, and hadn't set it back up. Going to set it up in the morning, and this will be of much help for me.

Cheers:cool:

Edit: Just one thing, have you managed to make two things connect at the same time? For example, I have a second computer connected, which when turned on, the DS can't connect, I turn the second computer off, and the DS connects fine.
I'd like both connected at the same time.

blag_d
August 18th, 2007, 04:29
i cant see the steps :S

supersimplesim
August 23rd, 2007, 01:49
HELP !!!! im trying to connect my ps3 using the wifi adapter and the setup and everything has gone fine the ip adresses are really confusing me and i need help please

GaYut
August 25th, 2007, 06:58
I tried getting this to work most of the afternoon, to no avail.

But trying again after leaving it alone for a while (and trying different methods, such as bridging my LAC and the Wireless connection created by the USB connector), it works now.

Thanks for the tut! :)

evilhydrax
August 26th, 2007, 00:05
This may be a stupid question but first I gotta say this was a great tutorial I got it working and in turn fixed the internet on my wii (It wasn't working with the official connector stuff)

But when installing this it cut off my firewall which I noticed did the same thing in the tutorial video, How can I fix this?

EDIT-It was a stupid question sorry haha, After experimenting I fixed it so simple :)

Now know it just does it automatically because it doesn't work otherwise once again great tutorial thanks

rsthill
September 5th, 2007, 18:18
Hi

I need some help.

1. Is this not suppose provide internet to devices like the labtop and I cannot connect to it. It just not seeing it. It was seeing it but before it saying it was not connecting to the network.

2. What is the MAC address?

3. It is working but when I watch the status of the network it saying that the packets #:

Sent: 896
Receive: 0

But I will try to reinstall everything.

Please help

rsthill

cal360
September 5th, 2007, 18:21
Nice tutorial I might give this a try.

burningeclipse
September 22nd, 2007, 01:17
what u mean by removing the drivers ?? uninstaling it ?? and liek there is nothing that allows me to intall stuff in the rar driver folder .... wtf am i doing roung plz help

Mike83
September 27th, 2007, 16:58
Anyone managed to connect there PS3 to the Nintendo adapter after doing this?

If so, how?

khmer1
October 1st, 2007, 03:51
ok im stuck i have drag my network into the box atop from enableICS and i unclick it when i apply it said it something about (please add my local network and wireless network to network bridge and junk

after i did that allow other network crap and junk i click apply on the ASU and it still pop that please ADD network crap also everything i check the ASU card setting thing and go to the soft ap tab the ENABLE ICS AND THE BOX IS CHECKED eveytime i check it and it happeneds everytime the pop and the check box so for some reason i cant seem to get it to work

i wonna get it working so i am able to play my psp online using XLINK if you'll able to able to setup the nintendo wi-fi to work with psp and to be able to play on xlink please do tell

p.s if you need more information please ask as i am waiting for a response

Tyril
October 2nd, 2007, 23:25
Hi there. I've been having problems with my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adaptor - Basically kept getting an error after the drivers were installed that stopped it installing the software I needed.
I was following your instructions here as they provide both drivers and software already, but apparently I'm not destined to get any of my damn consoles online.
When I opened ASUS and went to config and clicked the tab I got an error saying "Access violation at address 0057403F in module 'Wireless.exe'. Read of address 027A3744."
When I close the error window I can't uncheck the Enable ICS window. Any help would be appreciated, I'm kind of desperate. Thanks.

sog777
October 8th, 2007, 15:36
yeah nice guide btw but when i try to open the WLAN control center then it says "unable to connect to the wireless lan card..."

please help me!!! :D thanks

NintyFanGirl
October 28th, 2007, 02:10
Hey

Does anyone know if this works on Windows Vista?

Mike83
November 10th, 2007, 11:06
Has anyone managed to get a Nokia N95 using the web via the wifi connection setup with this? Mine sees it, but won't browse the web and stuff.

Hey

It didn't when I tried.

preetyforu
December 26th, 2007, 16:31
Hey, I went and bought an ASUS WL-167G wi-fi adapter because my Nintendo WFC adapter broke, since it was only $20. I've followed all the steps in the SoftAP part (since it uses the same ASUS Control Center) because I don't need to hack the drivers...but something's not quite working. I've given my WLAN an IP (different from my school's network), given the DS and PS3 IP addresses on the same subnet, and made sure all the settings match up to the ones you gave...but the devices do not connect. It seems as if they are recognizing the network, but can't access their respective gaming networks (the DS says it can't connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and gives one of those common error codes). I'm certain it's not my school's network, because I was able to use the Nintendo USB dongle and it allowed my DS and Wii to connect to the WFC without any problems whatsoever. So I know it's *possible* to get ICS working right, I just seem to be missing something essential that allowed the Nintendo configuration to work but not this one.

Thing is, I'm pretty good with computers and networking stuff to a certain extent, so I can't even think of where I'm going wrong. I've tried having the DS get an automatic IP, I've turned WEP on and off, I've tried hiding and unhiding the SSID, adding the MAC address...I am at my wit's end. Please help! It's driving me crazy not being able to connect my systems to the internet. It can't be THAT hard, I'm sure, because the Nintendo one worked fine...

Does anyone know exactly what the Nintendo one does as far as ICS and IP addresses are concerned, using the proprietary software? I mean, the only thing that I can think of that is different is that the DS and Wii have options to "Connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector"...but I really don't know how that can be much different than setting it up this way.

If it weren't for the fact that I have a PS3, and intend on getting a 360 soon, I'd just go out and buy another Nintendo dongle. Too bad Microsoft and Sony don't make dongles of their own...ugh, I'm determined to make this work. I just please need some help. If I can get one system to connect I'm confident I can get them all to work...but not even my laptop will connect to it.

preety
webmaster
http://www.entertainmentvenues.org

Carlotta_Monroe
December 31st, 2007, 01:15
Can I just ask how safe this is before I continue? I've followed the instructions, and everything is set up - the wireless connection shows it's working - But as a novice of wireless networks, I have to ask how safe it is and if anyone else can connect to this?

yo kv
January 19th, 2008, 00:56
i keep getting an error message, Cannot copy driver to system directory, help?

DarkXtrike
February 18th, 2008, 03:10
Every time I try to put it in SoftAp mode and try to un-tick.And It will always go back to station mode

DarkXtrike
February 18th, 2008, 03:11
i keep getting an error message, Cannot copy driver to system directory, help?

Thats what happen to me.

DarkXtrike
February 18th, 2008, 14:08
ok i fixed it.Have you copy the rt2500usb to the correct folder.

nowid50
April 15th, 2008, 21:47
Is it possible to use the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector to connect my PC to an other SoftAp ?

I mean, I have already a wifi network in my house, but I setted it up after I bought the Nintendo-thingy, can I use the others Drivers (STA in C:\Program Files\Asus\Drivers\) to connect to an AP ?

Thanks for your answers ;)

ppierce
April 19th, 2008, 21:53
Please post drivers for use with this method that are Vista x64 compatible.

The NETU2G54.inf in the rar package will not work w/x64.

unacquainted
June 9th, 2008, 22:48
I have tried all-sorts to get this to work, Help please.
I have tried the tutorial settings, and the custom settings below.
I only need to connect my DS and WII.
I dont know what a subnet is... Also, it should be on a different subnet to the Local Area Connection (for example, my computer's IP address is 192.168.0.2, I assigned the wireless network connection the IP address of 192.168.1.1 - which is on a different subnet). If it is on the same subnet, ICS will not work correctly.
I have tried different IP for both DS and WIFI (111.111.111.111 and 222.222.222.222 but they didn't work aswell as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.2)

Whats wrong? btw my connection to the internet (for my PC) is not static, I use zonealarm too? error 51301

cavanboy18
August 15th, 2008, 22:16
does this work if u use wifi to gain access to the internet already or no?

cavanboy18
August 16th, 2008, 04:45
my internet locks up after about an 1-60 minutes of use its random and i have to restart my computer. do you know why that is?

charlie1234456
August 18th, 2008, 01:24
im good till step 3 but in 4 it says it cant connect to the wlan card and its connected does anyone kno wats up?

hervek
September 1st, 2008, 03:23
Hey

i'm not sure cause i tried it n it didnt work, n i tried on xp n it worked.

Dave_2285
October 11th, 2008, 19:00
hey once i try to open the ASUS WLAN control Center it gives me a error saying unable to connect to wireless lan card. The tray will be loaded once the card is inserted, but i go to device manager and it shows the card is in and active

Harrison
January 17th, 2009, 00:39
I tried everything and followed everything as the tutorial says but I always get:

Connection error:

Error 805F0005

What should I do ?

bonghitter
January 24th, 2009, 20:47
i've been able to set up the nintendo wifi usb connector as a soft ap using the directions supplied, but for some reason, when I go to the advanced tab under the properties of my local area connection, there is no option to make the connection a sharable connection. i've tried to set up a new connection, but that didn't change anything. any ideas would be most appreicated

Encephalon
May 25th, 2009, 20:03
Okay.. Um, I finally figured out the Buffalo drivers thing.. But now I'm in the configuration (ASUS WLAN Card Settings) and when I select SofTAP Mode, or anything for that matter, it won't let me even touch the Enable ICS. Is it all right if it stays ticked?

nissanfreak37
July 1st, 2009, 01:11
Um why doesnt the bufallo driver things wont install its so frustrating I tried re downloading eerything and still doesnt work.Wait I fixed that now the ASUS doesnt detect the Buffalo driver?nintendo wifi connector culd some one pls help me