PDA

View Full Version : Nyko Psp Tech Armor

John Vattic
September 19th, 2006, 15:44
Ok this is a review for the new NYKO case for psp. It's called the Tech Armor. And this is my first review so feel free to crap on me.

For most of us the playger pocket from Logitech has served us very well, aside from a couple of things. It's extremely bulky, and has some exposed ports(headphone and power jacks).

As I was searching for a somewhat more enclosed case with less thickness, i ran across a new case from Nyko called Tech armor. This case was only 10usd$ from my local gamestop.

The case is aluminum(very tough) and apparently less thick than the logitech. Also the ports are all covered, except for two tiny openings above the right and left triggers. Those are so tiny it's not detrimental. It has some padding inside but only enough to prevent front and back scratches. the sides are not padded (which they should have been). since the case is similar in size to the psp unit itself, there are raised areas of the case for the buttons.

It has a latch-type locking system which is one of two downsides to this case. Since the latch is hidden inside the case it could scratch your psp if you're not carefull. Also the psp does not fit as snug inside the case(rattles around) as it does with it's playgear pocket rival. This should have been addressed in quality control.

If your like me you can figure ways out of small issues like these. I simply placed my cleaning rag inside the case also to fill the space.
After doing this it still did not fit snug. So I placed a second cleaning rag in the case(one underneath the psp and one over the screen). This worked great! Now the psp doesnt move enough to be concerned about. Also I save about 1/4 inch in my pocket and have no exposed ports.

Let me just say that if i had a scratch on my psp I would not care as much as if I had a rusted headphone or power jack. Also, I need the case to be less bulky and this is at least 1/8 inch thinner than the logitech. So I am mostly satisfied with my purchase.

Since I was comparing the logitech playgear pocket to this case, it must be said that the logitech would still protect better in a fall. But I am very carefull and this case, I'm sure, would protect enough in the event I dropped my psp.

So my playgear is in my closet. And I recommend this case to anyone who thinks the exposed areas and bulkiness of the playgear case warrant an alternative.

pros ratings (10 being highest)

quality-8 -it covers my ports which is important. however requires at least 1 cleaning rag to make up the space inside

size-10- saves alot of bulk and makes it more of a pocket case

price-9 $10 usd isn't too bad (I'm very satisfied with the case, as it sent my logitech case to the closet)

cons
-doesn't fit snug in the case
-not enough padding
-latch on the inside(so without a rag or two rattling can cause scratches on the bottom)(bottom being the side with the serial number)

In closing, I think that if Nyko would improve on this design they would have the best psp case made.

attached below are some pics! sorry they're so large it isn't my camera!

dejkirkby
September 19th, 2006, 16:22
Nice review. Thanks.

Apoklepz
September 19th, 2006, 19:21
Good review...My friend has this.

ACID
September 19th, 2006, 19:22
You could show a pic. Makes it better

John Vattic
September 19th, 2006, 19:57
thanks. I'll try to figure out this camera i have. and post it before the end of the day or sooner.

ACID
September 19th, 2006, 19:58
Cool looking forward to it.