PDA

View Full Version : Hooking my laptop to a TV?

curt_grymala
December 6th, 2004, 07:47
Hey - I've got a "video out" RCA jack on my laptop, which hooks just fine into my television, but I can't figure out how to set my video resolution to 640 x 480. When I hook it up as is (1024 x 768), I only get about a quarter of the screen showing on my TV. When I lower the resolution to 800 x 600, I get most of the screen, but I still don't get the whole thing. My display settings don't seem to go any lower than 800 x 600. I have an S3 Graphics SuperSavage/IXC 1179 video card in the laptop. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite from about 5 years ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to be able to hook my laptop into the TV. It would be really cool to play some multi-player games without having to gather a bunch of people around the LCD screen on my laptop, and without having to try to fit two or three of us at my little computer desk.

wraggster
December 6th, 2004, 13:37
cant u change your display adapter on the laptop to a generic laptop screen ?

curt_grymala
December 6th, 2004, 13:48
Not really. Maybe I'm just stupid, and don't see it, but when I try to add new hardware, and I go through and choose to add hardware manually, and then choose display adapter, I am given three choices for Manufacturer. One of them is ATI Technologies Inc. The second one is ATI Technologies, Inc. The third one is Intel. There aren't any options for "standard (S)VGA adapter" or anything generic like that (like there is on my Win98 desktop machine).

Parodius
December 6th, 2004, 13:59
in the ati ones its easy, just plug it in and find the multi screen settings and customise it from there.

i've no experiance with the savage chipset.