PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about PSP Firmware

maalsa
September 24th, 2006, 19:47
Hey all,

I bought a PSP about a year ago. It was a 2.0 and was easiliy downgradeable to a 1.5.

Now, it seems that SONY has upgraded their firmware (and maybe hardware too?) to help stop downgrading.

So my real question is, if I go down to my local electronics store (i.e. Best Buy or Circuit City) and pick up a PSP. Does this mean I can't downgrade it to 1.5?

Thanks in advance!

Mariopop87
September 24th, 2006, 20:15
Hey all,

I bought a PSP about a year ago. It was a 2.0 and was easiliy downgradeable to a 1.5.

Now, it seems that SONY has upgraded their firmware (and maybe hardware too?) to help stop downgrading.

So my real question is, if I go down to my local electronics store (i.e. Best Buy or Circuit City) and pick up a PSP. Does this mean I can't downgrade it to 1.5?

Thanks in advance!
It depends on what the firmware is. If it's 2.81, you're out of luck for homebrew. (for now)

2.80, you can run TIFF games that they have just made.
2.71 and lower and downgradable.
TA-082 PSP's are probably never going to be downgradable. But, you can run the homebrew that is out for that version.

But anyway, why would you want a a new one? Did something happen to your other PSP?

I have a 2.80, and used to have a 1.5. I don't know why I upgraded. -.-

maalsa
September 24th, 2006, 20:24
Mariopop87 - Thanks, your post helped me out a lot!

I guess the real question is now, how prominent are the 2.80 & 2.81 systems on the market? Do most stores carry these versions now? Or is the chance of picking up a 2.71 version still pretty good?

I guess the only way for me to find out is to go buy one and see what version the firmware is, right?

Oh and to answer your question, this new PSP won't be for me, it's for my GF. I still have (and love) my 1.5 PSP!

CrackA
September 24th, 2006, 21:21
chances of picking 2.71 or lower are good. 2.8 is still a pretty new firmware. but chances of a TA-082 are high now. so if u get a 2.71 or lower, it may still be a ta-082