PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

Dagobert
September 25th, 2006, 02:44
Ok I did read arround but I still got some questions.

I sold my PSP which is a 2.71 firmware and got a 2.01 firmware PSP. Since 2.01 doesn't let you run emulators and shit I'm wondering do I have to downgrade to 1.5? Cause I got Valkyrie Profile and that requires me to run it on a 2.6 firmware. Now I know theres that devhook thing, but does that only run on a 1.5 firmware psp? What if I update my PSP to 2.5 will I be able to use devhook, or if I update it to 2.6 can I use any snes and GB emulators on it? Does the devhook change the interface or anything? And if I do downgrade can I always update it again in the future?

Is there any other way of me being able to play snes and gba roms on psp without having to downgrade and play 2.6 games on it?

PlagueMusic
September 25th, 2006, 03:01
download this to change your firmware to 1.0 then upgrade to 1.5
http://files.fanjita.org/psp/201DG.zip

Dagobert
September 25th, 2006, 06:56
download this to change your firmware to 1.0 then upgrade to 1.5
http://files.fanjita.org/psp/201DG.zip
Not even close to what I asked for.

NoQuarter
September 25th, 2006, 07:00
You really should downgrade to 1.5,then just use devhook to emulate 2.71.Then you can play all currently available commercial games AND homebrew.Trust me it's the best/easiest way at the moment :)
The alternatives are a little more complicated and do not have full compatibilty,close but not full.

dejkirkby
September 25th, 2006, 07:33
Devhook will NOT run on a 2.01 so to play Valkyrie Profle you will have to upgrade. It you insist on not downgrading you need to find the TIFF exploit, I think it's on the news page on this site. To run the Snes roms, you need Snes9xTYL and to run GBA roms you need gpSP. I have no idea if these will run using the TIFF exploit, but you can try. I
Hope this helps.
I would seriously consider downgrading to 1.5 though, it is so much better!

NoQuarter
September 25th, 2006, 07:38
Trust us, 1.5 is the best and offers the most compatibility

bah
September 25th, 2006, 10:00
Since 2.01 doesn't let you run emulators and shit I'm wondering do I have to downgrade to 1.5?No, you dont HAVE to downgrade, some homebrew will run through specific loaders for higher firmwares (not 2.8 yet though), however what will run is limited, things may run slower and there is generally more hassles than having a 1.5 PSP.

Cause I got Valkyrie Profile and that requires me to run it on a 2.6 firmware. Now I know theres that devhook thing, but does that only run on a 1.5 firmware psp? What if I update my PSP to 2.5 will I be able to use devhook
Devhook is currently your best option, once set up is VERY easy to use and allows you to run all games released up to now. It runs only on fw 1.5, a version designed to run on fw 2.71 and emulate fw 1.5 has recently come out, but even that requires some writing to your PSP's internal flash.

or if I update it to 2.6 can I use any snes and GB emulators on it?
If you update to 2.71 you can run some homebrew through the eloader http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36627, however I believe compatibility is limited, and you cannot run the 'Media Engine' versions of the SNES/GBA emulators which run faster than the standard versions by using more of the psp's hardware, not currently accesible on higher firmwares. Downgrading is still the better option.

Does the devhook change the interface or anything?
No, its simply an option under the psp's 'game' menu just like any homebrew, running it will load your psp straight into the umd game you have in your drive (by first loading firmware 2.71 into memory to allow newer games to run). If you press the home button and exit out of the game, you will see the standard psp menu from firmware 2.71 and will have access to all the new features like web browser etc, fully turning the psp off (holding the power switch up for a few seconds) and back on will bring you back to your standard 1.5 psp menu as devhook is only resident in your psps ram which is lost when powered down.

And if I do downgrade can I always update it again in the future?

Yes, if for some reason you wanted to you could, but once youve tried 1.5 and devhook you wont want to.

Is there any other way of me being able to play snes and gba roms on psp without having to downgrade and play 2.6 games on it?

Answered above, yes you can, but 1.5 is a LOT nicer, why do you thing theres so much fuss when a new downgrader is released? Its a good feeling to have proper access to the hardware you paid for, despite sony's objections.

PlagueMusic answered your questions in a much more breif, but equally accurate way.

His link will allow you to easily make your psp believe it is a version 1.0, allowing you to 'upgrade' to 1.5. Using the file he linked to, along with the firmware 1.5 update http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/4 on you 2.01 fw psp is the easiest and safest means to freeing your psp.

Dagobert
September 25th, 2006, 14:45
Hmm since so many say 1.5 is better I might aswell downgrade, when I get back from school today I gotta try it out, just hope I don't mess it up.

Thanks a lot for the info people.

Dagobert
September 25th, 2006, 22:26
Ok now I'm back from school, is there a specific downgrader I need to downgrade to 1.5 ? I tried the 2.01 downgrader thats on this forum and when I go to my psp and select the 2.01 downgrader I get a "this game could not be started" message. And yes I did follow the instructions in the readme.

So does that mean I'd have to upgrade to 2.5 or 2.6 to be able to downgrade to 1.5?

bah
September 26th, 2006, 15:10
The 2.01 downgrader has to be run through the eloader.

I was running 2.0 when i downgraded and could use the tiff exploit downgrader, I believe this is patched under 2.01 so you will need an original release copy of GTA: liberty city stories (the one that comes with firmare 2.0 on the UMD) and use the eloader through that.

You could upgrade to 2.5/2.6 but I Believe their downgraders also require gta and the eloader, the 2.71 downgrader doesnt require them, so that may be an option if you dont have access to a copy of GTA.

Dagobert
September 29th, 2006, 07:30
Yea I got the original GTA game, so is there like an option to load the eloader thru GTA? Or is it something that will automatically appear? And is there anything else I need to download?

bah
September 29th, 2006, 08:51
EDIT: Make sure your PSP is fully charged and plugged into AC power before you start.

Backup your game saves first, just to be safe (Copy and paste the \PSP\SAVEDATA folder from you psp to your pc somewhere).

You need 3 things, 2 to trick the psp into thinking its a lower firmware: eloader and the downgrader, and the psp firmware version 1.5 placed in \PSP\GAME\UPDATE\eboot.pbp (the 1.50 pbp eboot file) to 'update' to 1.5 once you've used the downgrader.

If your running windows just use the 'installer version' of the eloader from here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36627
At the 'installation options' screen either tick the 'gta version' checkbox or choose the correct option for you from the dropdown box.

Then, copied/pasted from the eloader readme.txt:

'Running eLoader : via GAME mode
-------------------------------

- Load up the GTA game from the UMD.

- Open the menu with 'START', then select 'Load Game'.

- Select the eLoader icon from the list of saved games.
Confirm that you want to discard current progress.

- The eLoader should start after a few seconds.

- If instead, GTA loads a normal savegame, then you have the
patched version of GTA.'

You should be at the eloader menu and have the downgrader as an option. Read through the downgraders readme and off you go.

Once its done its work you just need to go to the game menu and select the 1.5 update.

From Kaiser's 2.0 downgrader guide:

'If so all is well, goto the game menu and Launch the PSP Update and simply
follow the onscreen instructions to update your psp. The update will get to
99% and Fail, No cause for concern this is still correct. The psp will now
do a faily length restart just let it play out. Now one of two things will
happen either the PSP will restart or it will turn off. If the PSP does not turn off automatically you can perform a hard reste to turn it off. After the LED goes off and the psp has turned off.. Wait 10-15 Seconds and power the PSP back on. You now have a 1.50 PSP, Congratulations.'

For me the psp just froze at 99%, I left if for a cpl of mins to make sure it had finished, held the power switch up for 5 secs to hard power-off, turned it back on and have been a happy 1.5 user ever since.

Hope that helps, try to search the forums for answers before you ask questions where possible.

bah
September 29th, 2006, 09:25
I know this is a double post, sue me.

I believe the new eloader can run through the tiff method under 2.01 as well, sorry, I havnt had much to do with downgraders/eloders since I downgraded myself.

You should be able to install the eloader, default settings in the windows installer, have your downgrader/1.5 update files in the right places, then go to the 'photo' section of the psp xmb (the psp's menu) and select eloader and hit x.

This should have the same effect as loading eloader through GTA, but is a bit less hassle for you.

Sorry I didnt think to check this sooner :)

Dagobert
October 11th, 2006, 22:57
Ok it's been a while now.

So anyways I did all that when I was doing the thing thru the eloader where I chose the option set to v1.00 it did was checking some things and then It said failed to assign to Flash2 Device : 8001000D. So it said press any button to exit which I did, so I go back to the eloader after rebooting my PSP and chose the 1.5 updater and when I chose that it does some check for like a second or two and it goes back to the eloader screen. So I press the home button and I choose yes to go to home, and then I get something that says Please wait... with the option yes or no so I chose yes. Now my PSP is frozen stuck on that screen with the power light blinking on and off.

I tried to turn it off but it wont go off, so what do I do?

edit: So I took out the battery for anything to happen so now I'm back to square one, and I'm doing every thing it says in the readme's theres something I'm doing wrong but I dont know what.

splodger15
October 12th, 2006, 10:47
just update to 2.71 then downgrade through that

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/755

MikeDX
October 12th, 2006, 11:35
These downgrading "help" posts need locking and some posts deleting. There must be a guide on here somewhere how to downgrade to 1.5 from any TA-079 FW. I read this and cringed at some of the replies.

It's like the lame leading the blind.

dejkirkby
October 12th, 2006, 12:49
These downgrading "help" posts need locking and some posts deleting. There must be a guide on here somewhere how to downgrade to 1.5 from any TA-079 FW. I read this and cringed at some of the replies.

It's like the lame leading the blind.
There's no need to be nasty. People are only trying to help others. I agree about too many threads asking for help with downgrading, but it's not fair to slate the people helping as lame. It's not qj or psp-hacks you know.

MikeDX
October 12th, 2006, 12:56
There's no need to be nasty. People are only trying to help others. I agree about too many threads asking for help with downgrading, but it's not fair to slate the people helping as lame. It's not qj or psp-hacks you know.

I'm not being nasty, I'm being honest.

If I ask for help on a forum, I would hope that the people helping actually know what they are talking about and the answers are actually worthy of reading.

I wouldnt trust the advice of somebody who has made over 600 posts since july and whos replies and comments mostly consist of 3 word answers.

dejkirkby
October 12th, 2006, 13:00
I have arounnd 800 replies, I think. and I'm quite proud that the majority are not spam and are to help people. But because I've made them in less than a year, does that mean I'm lame or untrustworthy?

MikeDX
October 12th, 2006, 13:03
I have arounnd 800 replies, I think. and I'm quite proud that the majority are not spam and are to help people. But because I've made them in less than a year, does that mean I'm lame or untrustworthy?

Since this is going offtopic I've replied personally.

bah
October 12th, 2006, 15:51
Hope MikeDX's help works for you Dagobert.

Mike, I dont claim to know all but I can normally help the new folk. If my replies are erroneous i'm more than happy to be corrected, even if that bothers you somehow then i can still live with myself.

MikeDX
October 12th, 2006, 15:56
Hope MikeDX's help works for you Dagobert.

Mike, I dont claim to know all but I can normally help the new folk. If my replies are erroneous i'm more than happy to be corrected, even if that bothers you somehow then i can still live with myself.

It was aimed at splodger15, not you.

I personally wouldnt offer help on something I knew little or nothing about.