PDA

View Full Version : Something nice to see

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 11:04
I was looking around a very bad warez site which I wont mention but it was neat to see people actually wear sharing not just illegal DC files but people actually shared legal stuff. Its nice to see people actually dont just care about warez and they do like some of the free stuff too.

MetaFox
August 3rd, 2004, 11:16
I was looking around a very bad warez site which I wont mention but it was neat to see people actually wear sharing not just illegal DC files but people actually shared legal stuff.Yeah, but they were no doubt tainted with illegal material (ie: emulators with commercial ROMs, Quake/Doom ports with the official files, etc.).

I'm sure Beats of Rage is on there too, but I'm sure Senile Team and the mod creators would much prefer not having their hard work showcased on a warez site.

It's good to see people enjoying the homebrew, but I'd rather we distance ourselves from the warez crowd as much as possible (though, unfortunately emulation draws in the people with the warez mentality - so it's to be expected when emulation is the Dreamcast homebrew community's primary concern). Truth be told, I've been through so much in my near 10 years in the emulation community in general that people with the "where's the warez!!111" mentality don't even phase me any more.

What people choose to do in regards to warez is up to them - as long as they don't talk about it on legitimate message boards such as these.

curt_grymala
August 3rd, 2004, 15:52
MetaFox - You have to remember, though, that some of us can be reformed. I mean, I was never outwardly a WAREZ kiddie, but when I began in this scene, I did download quite a few roms to use with the emulators I found around here. I played them for a little while, but when I started to realize just how many cool homebrew things there were out there, I basically lost interest in the emulators altogether.
I have not even touched an emu CD in probably six months, because I am so enthralled by the whole homebrew apps/demos/games scene. The only emulator I have used recently is GPF's VBA port, and the only games I've even put on there are homebrew games (as we've talked about before, there are some spectacular homebrew games for the GBA).
So, even though I came into this scene with mild WAREZ intentions, I was quickly reformed to the point where I haven't even touched a commercial rom in over six months.