PDA

View Full Version : Things are finally looking up for the Max Media Player

girardsummer
September 25th, 2006, 06:30
Before you guys flame me, let me present my case. I mean, when the MMP first came out, all you paid for was a 4GB CF card and a NDS CF reader dock for the Nintendo DS. It had no native funtionality and relied on MoonShell for any media playback. The data transfer speed on the 4GB CF card was slow, the 4GB CF would heat up in your pocket, and it was hardly compatible with any hoebrew. Well, good homebrew anyway. But now in September, things have vastly improved. Thanks to their update that finally allows you to natively watch video and listen to MP3s, Max Media Player has become something worth having. And I must say that the video quality is excellent and the video playback is PSP smooth. With good headphones, (I prefer Sony - They ARE good for something) the audio playback is decent. I have the first Star Wars trilogy on the 4GB CF and it works perfectly and smoothly. Maybe if all this functionality was available from day one, MMP and MMD would have a better rep.

PS: Go ahead and start flaming :)

EDIT: Edited out ROM disscussion.

kcajblue
September 25th, 2006, 06:40
THERE IS NO ROM DISCUSSION ALLOWED!!!
none at all!!!

NoQuarter
September 25th, 2006, 08:21
I think he may have been talking about the movies

Qerppsmmnx
September 25th, 2006, 09:04
No, the rom discussion part was taken out... However, sadly, we already know this. Yes it does look good, and the only thing that will make the Max Media worth keeping is if the next update kills everything else. For instance, if the new update allows people to run .gba or make homebrew more compadable. Everything they advertise was a lie right? Before it said video playback, but there wasn't any. So, i suspect they said all those things, hoping to get it down and update. So it would make sense if they did put a GBA compadability. However, they are doing everything late. I know the M3 and Supercard are expensive, but for whats its worth it does everything the max media said it would WAY BEFORE! I would be happy to say that the MMD is a good contender, I would be glad to say that they are a good company, but i can't. I can't because they don't blog or anything about updates. OR EVEN EXPLAIN WHY IT CANT DO WHAT IT SAYS IT CAN! if they would explain. i would be understanding, and i'm sure more people would be understanding. Even Double H. For now they are second rate company, making a second rate product, to take peoples money who don't completely get the homebrew scene yet.

Yes i WAS one of these people

sonikku88
September 25th, 2006, 16:43
THERE IS NO ROM DISCUSSION ALLOWED!!!
none at all!!!

No ROM discussion on a homebrew related forum? Sounds a bit weird to me. :confused:

Darksaviour69
September 25th, 2006, 16:49
well since DS games are ROMs, yes no warez talk. but you can talk about how to use roms with you emus

MikeDX
September 25th, 2006, 16:59
Double edged sword

You can talk about roms with emus but you cant talk about roms with a cartridge.. Yet its ok to post if your psx games work on the psx on psp emulator

Mazza
September 25th, 2006, 19:28
emus have something to do with homebrew

Playing backup roms for the NDS alone does not.

Basically this is meant to be a homebrew forum and although talking about SNES and NES emulators technically is rom talk it actually includes homebrew and we don't want this site to become a place to discuss playing backups

MikeDX
September 25th, 2006, 19:39
emus have something to do with homebrew

Playing backup roms for the NDS alone does not.

Playing backup GBA is any different how?

Either you are against piracy/roms or you aren't you can't say "oh theres a DS emulator for the psp so talking about roms is ok now."

Darksaviour69
September 26th, 2006, 10:31
we don't allow post about how to get iso/roms from the net or how to rip your own iso's/roms

MikeDX
September 26th, 2006, 11:27
What is the difference between

"I am playing mariokart on my supercard" and

"I am playing mariokart on the gba emulator on the psp"

The difference? One is allowed.

I'm not trying to say either is ok. I'm just saying you can't be picky about what is piracy and what isn't

gymnotropic
September 27th, 2006, 01:18
I agree with Mike. Emulators are supported(even those which need a .BIOS file), and there are even lists of what ROMs do and don't work, but talking about the ROMs you use for the emulators and even making your own ROMs isn't supported?

It really seems illogical to me. Personal thought, though.

Edit: I'm not saying that using pirated ROMs is right, but I am saying if you arn't going to support ROMs, go all the way or not at all. Not some here and there, but not this and that or whatever. That'd mean not supporting emulators, which leads to using ROMs and some of them being pirated. ;P

kcajblue
September 27th, 2006, 02:38
can we stop arguing about rom discussion. and stay on topic. this thread is about the Max Media Player and not roms.

gymnotropic
September 27th, 2006, 03:10
Sorry, you're right about that. It is an important topic, though.

I noticed alot of stuff doesn't make sense, like how ISO loaders for the PSP are not supported because they load copies of games and promote piracy, but how things like GBA emulators(pretty much any emulator,) are supported even though they do the same thing, but for a different system.

Been bothering me so I had to say something about the problems I've noticed. :/

guitarmonkey
September 27th, 2006, 12:06
can we stop arguing about rom discussion. and stay on topic. this thread is about the Max Media Player and not roms.

haha

brilliant. you have no answer because you know they are right and you know how hypocritical you are, so you just say "stay on topic"

genius!

kcajblue
September 28th, 2006, 00:55
how the hell am i hypocritical.

the_eternal_dark
September 28th, 2006, 05:58
Just buy the DS games and play them, seriously, they don't load any quicker if they were backed up and most used DS games sell for pretty cheap, unlike the PSP.

I think what the mods mean is you can't talk about playing back ups of current gen games because companies are still making money off of those games. Developers need to eat, companies need to maximize proffits so the guys at the top have more money to throw into our favorite past time; gaming.

Don't be surprised if Nintendo comes down on people hard for illegally downloading NES/Snes/N64 roms when the Wii comes out. I can almost hear the slap from here.

*back to the topic*
The Max Media Player needs to have some vast improvements to keep up with the M3 and the Supercard. It's almost not even fair for it to still be on the market for as long as it has been, especially with the lies about compatability. They should list the functions as "Now Plays Media", I mean damn, how long did it take?

kcajblue
September 28th, 2006, 06:45
The Max Media Player needs to have some vast improvements to keep up with the M3 and the Supercard. It's almost not even fair for it to still be on the market for as long as it has been, especially with the lies about compatability. They should list the functions as "Now Plays Media", I mean damn, how long did it take?i doubt it can keep up with the M3 and Supercard. :P