PDA

View Full Version : Are captured demos illegal on this forum?

Amethyst
September 26th, 2006, 11:38
I know ROM talk is illegal on the forum but I would like to know if "captured demos" are in the same boat.

I was looking for a way to download DS demos through my PC and stumbled across a Wiki with captured downloaded demos from E3 '05 and several kiosk and Japanese demos in .NDS.

I tried them on my MMD and most worked.

Would I be allowed to post a link to the Wiki or is this illegal?

Thanks.

ACID
September 26th, 2006, 14:52
I dont see how its elegal if its a free demo release from Nintendo. But be save pm a mod

cloud_952
September 26th, 2006, 16:16
Technically, I'd say that they are illegal. Even if the demo is given away freely by Nintendo, they DO still own the rights to it, and they also have the right to choose who gets the demo and how they download it (download-and-play). It's the same with Sony's demo UMDs. Just because they're given away doesn't mean anyone has the right to rip it and redistribute it.

So.. yeah, they are illegal. But whether or not a mod will warn you for it? That's up to them. For some reason, people find this to be a "lesser" level of illegal and ignore stuff like this.

ACID
September 26th, 2006, 19:06
I agree with you cloud didnt think about the fact of where they want the demo to be downloaded. Im sure they prefer there sites because you read there news not emulation news.