PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with a newbie in need of homebrew and flash support

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 10:08
I'm new to the psp thing (got one yesterday), i've been using a ds to run homebrew with a supercard sd, it's really easy. Is it me or is the psp homebrew thing just a complete nightmare? I've spent over 4 hours searching the net so far - various sites, forums etc, and i'm not even sure what i'm doing yet. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice on the following:

1 - Can i run homebrew and have browser flash support at the same time?

2 - i believe that flash is supported on firmware 2.71 How can i upgrade to 2.71, there are no links, Sony only provide a 2.80 upgrade (and there are no current downgraders for 2.80 so i'm not really willing to use it) and i've pulled no luck trawling the net for 2.71.

3 - I would rather not have to mess about with GTA save patch if possible is there any other way to run homebrew?

4 - Is there any difference between us and uk firmwares, or are umd games/films region free - i Have a uk psp.

My current firmware is 2.60

Sorry if these questions get asked a lot, i have spent a lot of time searching forums, but search engines don't seem to be very forthcoming, and i've read so much that my eyes are falling out (my glasses currently hold them in place LOL)

Thanks in advance for any help provided :)

GobboFett
September 27th, 2006, 11:17
It's good to see more people converting to the PSP side of the force (or whatever)...

Homebrew on PSP can be really simple IF you know what you are doing but yes, even when I started I found it to be a complex nightmare of files and folders ;) Now onto your questions;

1. Not 100% sure but I can't see this being important anyway.

2. Flash is supported in FW2.71 and up. To get the update you should probably look on google or psp-hacks.com for the file. To upgrade put the EBOOT.pbp in the folder X:PSP/GAME/UPDATE (X:/ being the PSP root) and go the Games menu to start the PSP updater.

3. To run Homebrew on higher Firmwares download and use eLoader v0.99. You could also use the reverse DevHook for 2.71 which gives FW1.5 whilst still on 2.71 but I'm not 100% sure how that one works :(

4. The only Firmware differences are for the Japanese ones where they use O as confirm and X as cancel. UMD games are region-free but UMD movies are not. So to play movies you will need to buy local.

Hopefully this will help you out in getting Homebrew working on your brand new PSP :)

bullhead
September 27th, 2006, 11:49
Dont tell him to update his firmware! >:(
Although he can still downgrade it... You need to downgrade to 1.5. With that, you can do pretty much whatever you want on the psp...
The flash games arent worth it anyway....you can still play them on 1.5...

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 11:49
Wow - quick response or what? Cheers for advice, is u.s firmware the same as u.k firmware then? Thanks again for advice so far, maybe i can tempt you into the world of ds homebrew, there are some amazing homebrew games & Apps out for ds. Media streamers, so you can play music from your pc, organiser software (dsorganize) that uses the full advantage of the stylus. I'm sure the psp has just as amazing a selection of homebrew, can't wait . Ta again :)

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 11:54
and hi to a fellow salad fingers fan :) - is there homebrew support for flash games? What are the downsides to downgrading to 5.1? Does the emulation of newer firmwares from a 1.5 firmware flashed psp good then (animated backdrops\web browser\flash support in sony browser) - ta

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 11:55
weird actually - one of the first things i tried to put on my psp was salad fingers (converted from flash to avi) played all weird - shame

bullhead
September 27th, 2006, 11:58
Are you a fan Of fat-pie?! Salad fingers kicks ass! As Does burnt face man and spoilsbury toast boy...

There are absolutly no downsides to 1.5....none....you can do everything you can do on 1.5 as you can on the higher ones... And a hell of alot more...

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 12:01
spoilsbury toast boy - yeah. But i prefered the original devo - really scary. 2 of my mates have salad fingers t-shirts LOL

bullhead
September 27th, 2006, 12:08
T-shirts....Hardcore fans....very good...

But yeah, there is a program called devhook which allows you to emulate higher firmwares, which will allow you to use the psp browser, and play the psp games which require higher firmwares(the latest releases)
With 1.5 firmware you can also install something called custom firmware...This allows you to directly launch a pre- set firmware by having the wlan switch down. If you want to just load normal 1.5 firmware have the switch up.

Another thing you can do with custom firmware is by setting a specified homebrew to load whilst holdint the x-button on boot up.

1.5 firmware it truly the way to go, without a doubt.

dejkirkby
September 27th, 2006, 12:39
Dev(vo)Hook. Devvo at Leeds festival is hilarious!

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 12:56
sounds like the way to go is 1.5 firmware. Found a downgrade program, just need to know if the usa firmware dump i have is ok to use with a uk psp and uk games/films? Are you in the uk? Did you catch the 1/2 hour devo tv special on ch4? Missed it myself, but i do prefer the original devvo to the one they ended up using.

bullhead
September 27th, 2006, 12:56
http://www.fat-pie.com/fwgoth.htm

(About devvo)

And yes it was funny. Some people take offence to him, they dont getit. Also have you seen the one of him on E4?

GobboFett
September 27th, 2006, 15:08
sounds like the way to go is 1.5 firmware. Found a downgrade program, just need to know if the usa firmware dump i have is ok to use with a uk psp and uk games/films?

I Probably should have mentioned the downgrade point of view (like I downgraded from FW 2.00) but you didn't mention if you had a TA-082 Motherboard or not. I suppose with all the talk of eLoader and Reverse DevHook on 2.71 recently I just forgot about that :( But back on topic, yes US firmwares will work perfectly fine on a UK PSP and with UK games/movies.

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 16:20
yeah, i checked for the top right of the umd lid (should i be checking the plastic inside the lid or the metal facing outwards?) Not found anything unless i've missed it - ta

edit - found a number printed onto the board itself barely readable just popping out from under the metal - 1C6001

is that the number and is it ok to downgrade this model?

Also am i going to need GTA in order to downgrade to 5.1 - is there no other way round this.

The only 2.6 to 5.1 downgrader i have found only works if the unit was not purchased with 2.60 already on,( http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28007&highlight=downgrader) and mine was - Any other ways to downgrade? Should i upgrade to 2.71, then downgrade to 5.1 from there?

JD/
September 27th, 2006, 19:07
i heard there is a downgrader for 2.6 that doesn't use gta should be easy to find but if you cant find it go to 2.71 and downgrade to 1.5 (its 1.5 btw not 5.1 :p)

Beware that downgrading may brick your psp but if you know what your doing and you read the instructions carefully you should be ok there is a automatic downgrader if you dont feel confident.

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 19:11
Cheers for advice so far

I have a new 2.60fw psp, the code in the umd lid is IC6001, and the box has an I on it, can i upgrade to 2.71, then use 2.71 to 1.5 downgrader? I have read thru this forum and have read that psps with only the IC6001 can downgrade, but also read that the letter I on your box (next to barcode) means you can't downgrade and now i'm all confused, can someone confirm if it is or not ok to upgrade to 2.71, then down to 1.5 from there? - Thanks in advance

bullhead
September 27th, 2006, 19:24
Yes I have IC6001. It has been downgraded. Make sure you have everything in the correct locations. Also after you downgrade update to 2.00, and then use the MPH downgrader to go back to 1.5. this ensures that your new firmware is bug free. Somethimes there can be a few bugs that occur in such a downgrade.

skulkk
September 27th, 2006, 19:56
cheers matey - I shall follow in the way of the 1.5 tomorrow hopefully. Everyone is sooo helpfull, i love communities like this one (with people who like spoons).

skulkk
September 28th, 2006, 12:30
i now have a 1.5 psp woo woo - Thanks to all

skulkk
September 28th, 2006, 12:30
I now have a 2.0 psp woo woo

bullhead
September 28th, 2006, 12:37
And now downgrade back to 1.5...!

skulkk
September 28th, 2006, 12:40
yay now i have a nice bug free 1.5 psp woo woo
just got to get one of those nice firmware emulators so i can play my games.

bullhead
September 28th, 2006, 13:47
Install custom firmware first. Harleygs custom firmware is the best. Using this means that if you ever do something silly(brick the psp) you can recover it...
Get it here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33455

skulkk
September 29th, 2006, 15:08
All working now
1.50 Firmware + Devhook 2.46 = One Happy Happy Man.

A big thanks to all who have helped.
(keep spreading the salad peversion Bullhead :) )

bullhead
September 29th, 2006, 15:46
2.46!?

Kramer
September 29th, 2006, 15:54
Spoooooooon!!!

congrats on your new 1.5
make sure you install custom firmware it could save your psp one day.

skulkk
September 29th, 2006, 19:02
sorry 0.46. Still all is working, next step is to get a snes / genesis emulation on my psp. Think i might try playing some of the games i got with it first LOL

SSX
Burnout
Xmen Legends 2
Super Monkeyball Adenture
Star Wars Battlefront
Spiderman 2

Should keep me out of mischeif for a while - i love ssx,burnout,Battlefront 2 and xmen on my ps2, so they should be cool.

Thanks to all for helpfull advice - A Very happy skulkk :)

skulkk
October 4th, 2006, 20:13
Genesis \ msx \ gbc emulators all installed and working - woo woo.

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 20:34
Glad to see we have steered you away from the Dark Side. :)