PDA

View Full Version : Blue-ray 'Not a Burden' For Sony

wraggster
September 27th, 2006, 21:39
Via Opposable Thumbs, an article at GamePro in which Phil Harrison clarifies that Blue-ray on the PS3 is a 'game design' decision. From the article:
"Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent. So games like Resistance which, as a launch title, is up to 20-something gigabytes already. And that's day one -- think about four years, six years from now. We'll be pushing the 50 gigabyte limit with dual-layer Blu-ray very quickly. So we absolutely need it as game designers, and in that regard, the consumer is getting the movie functionality effectively for free."
I probably would have had a follow-up question there, but that's where the interview ends. So what do you think? Which came first for Sony: Blue-ray as new movie media, or Blu-ray as answer to design challenges?

Cooe14
September 27th, 2006, 21:43
They defintely though it in as a movie media first. And all that extra space gives them is the ablity to be much more sloppy with there code.

jerrt
September 28th, 2006, 04:14
sloppy great games leads to well coded even better games.

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 04:28
They defintely though it in as a movie media first. And all that extra space gives them is the ablity to be much more sloppy with there code.

There is no correlation between the two things.

cloud_952
September 28th, 2006, 04:36
Wow.. great job bsing on the question, Sony. =D

I still maintain my position that everyone who works at Sony is absolutely, stock-raving mad, with no touch with reality.

I'm looking RIGHT at you, Ken Kutaragi.

There is no correlation between the two things.

There is a "correlation". That is when two things occur at the same time. However, just because something's correlational doesn't mean there's a connection.

Case in point: The more ice cream people eat in New York, the more people in the tropics die. This is a FACT. You can look at statistics. However, it's correlational. People eat more ice cream in New York because it's hot. Because it's hot, there's harsher weather and tropical storms in the tropics.

Correlational, but no connection.

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 05:23
Correlation does not require causation, but can imply it, as I was doing. I should have been more specific by saying "There is no causal correlation ..."