PDA

View Full Version : psp unbricker?

gsmumbo
October 1st, 2006, 04:48
I don't know if this is how its supposed to work but I had the weirdest thing happen. My friend gave me his psp to downgrade because he had 2.7 and I was going to install a custom firmware. So I took it home and downloaded the downgrader and got it all started. Went to red screen which is supposed to happen and then its supposed to crash. It didn't though. Just went to a black screen after a while and stayed there. I let it stay for ten minutes on the black screen before I unplugged it. I started thinking "crap, did I just brick my friends psp!?" So I turned it on and to my suprise.... brick. All I got was a black screen with the mem stick light blinking every now and then. I was scared to death and was thinking of what I could do. Then the idea hit me to stick in my memory stick and see if maby the psp was trying to write some files. As soon as i stick it in bam! My emulated 2.7 popped up. The same firmware that my devhook runs loaded! I tried running the downgrader on it from there but it didn't work. So here I was with a psp that only loaded on my memory stick. Then the idea hit me to try and load the recovery console since I had the cust firmware on my psp. Figured hey, if it can run my emulated firmware maby it can run the rec con. Rebooted with the power switch on hold and it worked! So I stuck the 1.5 eboot on my mem stick and installed it through the recovery console and it installed. So using the memory stick from my cust firmware psp I was able to unbrick my friends psp. I'm not sure if thats how its supposed to work but it did. :D

TheRealMcCoy
October 1st, 2006, 05:38
http://my.opera.com/drlaunch/homes/albums/37656/srsly001.jpg

BrooksyX
October 1st, 2006, 06:11
Lmao!:rolleyes:

AtariFreek
October 1st, 2006, 07:12
That was so confusing! Lol, at least it worked lol.

dejkirkby
October 1st, 2006, 10:46
A rescued Brick!! Nice!

JD/
October 1st, 2006, 10:51
I know what probably happened he probably used the downhelper to get a dump of his 1.5 flash which had cfw so thats how he rescued the pspif he didnt have cfw on his dump that psp would be a nice looking paper weight :eek:

andrew24
October 1st, 2006, 19:07
Lamo!
________
X5 M (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_X5_M)

Elven6
October 1st, 2006, 19:11
So in lamens terms?

JD/
October 1st, 2006, 20:41
it was probably never bricked in the first place the wifi was probably down so it booted into dh but there was no dh on the memstick so it gave the illusion of a brick.

bullhead
October 1st, 2006, 20:50
Thats probably true, If it was a clean unmodified 1.5 update then that wouldnt have happened....

splodger15
October 1st, 2006, 21:21
this kind of sounds like the thing that happened over at psp-hacks

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about45649.html

mavsman4457
October 1st, 2006, 22:21
That guy was proven to be a liar. Let's hope the same is not true about this poster. We'll see if he still shows his face if someone disproves this.

bullhead
October 2nd, 2006, 18:19
Its perfectly possible...

M!ckeY
October 2nd, 2006, 19:48
:confused: what the....

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 21:50
I thought it was strange myself at first, but then it made sense for all of about 2 seconds. Then I realized:

Custom firmware doesn't come in an Update Eboot format.

There is no possible way he could have downgraded his friend's PSP with a custom 1.5 firmware that looked for Devhook on boot, since as I said custom firmware doesn't come in the form of an update eboot.

bullhead
October 2nd, 2006, 21:59
You mean you cant recombine the files into an eboot?

JD/
October 2nd, 2006, 22:23
but doesnt the 2.71 downgrader use a dump and not an eboot ( i may be wrong i havent tried it) if so then i think what i said happened :)

bullhead
October 2nd, 2006, 22:51
oh well there you go!

BL4Z3D247
October 2nd, 2006, 23:22
i think this would only work on partial bricks where u can still play a UMD, also there were a few people on psp-hacks besides that dude who posted the unbricker who used it and said it worked...i say if u have a partial brick, do it i mean what do u have to lose

and i think it has nothing to do with cfw, he stated he was running at 2.8 and bricked his psp by "trying" to put cfw on it, then he took his working psp copied the files of the unbricker onto the root of the MS and popped the MS in his brick and ran it, so i think it would be worth a shot for an unfortunate brick

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2006, 04:17
You mean you cant recombine the files into an eboot?

I suppose you could, but when you downgrade you are actually running a Sony-made update. Since the downgrader just rewrites the PSP version from 2.7 to like 0.1 so then a 1.5 update can run because the PSP doesn't know any better.

Just seems sketchy to me. If it worked, all the power to the OP... But if this is some sick joke or a lie...

pibs
October 3rd, 2006, 05:37
sounds like it could work, but his process sounds a bit confusing, maybe if he would make steps then that would be easier in my opinion

JD/
October 3rd, 2006, 20:13
i think this would only work on partial bricks where u can still play a UMD, also there were a few people on psp-hacks besides that dude who posted the unbricker who used it and said it worked...i say if u have a partial brick, do it i mean what do u have to lose

and i think it has nothing to do with cfw, he stated he was running at 2.8 and bricked his psp by "trying" to put cfw on it, then he took his working psp copied the files of the unbricker onto the root of the MS and popped the MS in his brick and ran it, so i think it would be worth a shot for an unfortunate brick

na there was no unbricker he was running his friends 2.71 and he was going to downgrade using a dump of his firmware with cfw on it then it wouldnt reboot since the wi fi button was probably down (to boot into devhook via cfw) hence the ms flashing (this also explains why devhook booted when he put in his memory stick).

he panicked and thought it was a brick so he tried to run recovery mode and it workked since he had the same files as his cfw psp then he ran a clean 1.5 update eboot because he thought he had a brick.

I dont blame you for making a mistake he didnt put his post in paragraphs so I couldnt understand it first time.

shadow786
October 12th, 2006, 14:02
dis happen to me using x-flash it had frozen my psp so i holded the the power button wen i turned it on my psp started but i had a black screen and my menory card light was flashin now and

the is i don't know wot to do gsmumbo explain the steps and can u plz tell me wot you had on ur psp

splodger15
October 12th, 2006, 14:38
dis happen to me using x-flash it had frozen my psp so i holded the the power button wen i turned it on my psp started but i had a black screen and my menory card light was flashin now and

the is i don't know wot to do gsmumbo explain the steps and can u plz tell me wot you had on ur psp

You have a brick i would get it repaired (Modchip) or if you still have warranty use that and get it replaced

BL4Z3D247
October 12th, 2006, 15:40
na there was no unbricker he was running his friends 2.71 and he was going to downgrade using a dump of his firmware with cfw on it then it wouldnt reboot since the wi fi button was probably down (to boot into devhook via cfw) hence the ms flashing (this also explains why devhook booted when he put in his memory stick).

he panicked and thought it was a brick so he tried to run recovery mode and it workked since he had the same files as his cfw psp then he ran a clean 1.5 update eboot because he thought he had a brick.

I dont blame you for making a mistake he didnt put his post in paragraphs so I couldnt understand it first time.
not that i do this alot or even at all, but in that post i was going off what i read on qj.net, there was more than one person saying it worked(not that it even matters :p) but ohh well i don't need an unbricker i have recovery mode :D(i'm sure others need one though :()

Cloudhunter
October 12th, 2006, 15:48
It's not really a true unbrick, there is no way that the psp would spontaneously launch the recovery elf off the memory stick without custom firmware being involved.

My guess is, is that he used a dump to do it, which included his custom firmware. (Probably caused the partial brick in the firstplace :rolleyes:)

Cloudy

S34MU5
October 13th, 2006, 21:47
I know what probably happened he probably used the downhelper to get a dump of his 1.5 flash which had cfw so thats how he rescued the pspif he didnt have cfw on his dump that psp would be a nice looking paper weight :eek:
yeh thats what id did and installed harleygs v2 onto my mates and i was like aww ****
then realised i had then wlan switchdown and it was tyrin to load devhook whcih wasnt on the memstick!

Alkaida
October 13th, 2006, 23:11
I'm a lvl99 wizard with the powers to un-brick psp's