PDA

View Full Version : Should we petition Sony?

F9zDark
October 1st, 2006, 06:14
Right, most of you all are probably thinking "WTF for?!?". But it seems to me Sony is extremely stupid and will never think of any of these things on their own.

Now before you all get excited about the idea of a petition let me inform you of two thing off the bat:

1)This petition is for the PSP (like anyone needed to know this, but decided to put it out there anyway)

2)This is NOT a petition for Sony to allow homebrew. Why? Because they wont take us seriously; homebrew hurts their game sales, which in turn hurts them.

However this is a petition to ask them to bequeath us with features that may stir some of us away from homebrew (I'll just buy another PSP/use a modchip/or use devhook personally, but some of the things I propose may indeed spur people to update if Sony were to commit to them).

Now the idea of this thread is to see what we, as a community would want the most out of Sony that is within reason (unfortunately homebrew is not one of them, as I said, Sony would immediately delete any petition we send them concerning homebrew on teh PSP).

I believe that if Sony sees a good deal of people who want these features and can believe that these features will indeed help the PSP, that they may be more inclined to listen.

If I am just wasting my time, then feel free to say so, but I think its a good move on our part. I hate that Sony tires to thwart homebrew at every corner, but I recognize that it is Sony who ultimately holds the fate of the PSP. Homebrew will only take it so far and recently we have seen some great things coming down the pipe in the homebrew scene, but we still have alot to achieve (for instance, we have yet to see any 3d homebrew app of the caliber of Star Wars Battlefront 2 or GTA:LCS or the coming GTA:VCS...

That aside, onto the brunt of the my post:

1)Sony should review the possibility of creating UMD burners with DVD conversion software. Why? Well, being the proprietors of UMDs, Sony sees all of the profits, from UMD writers, UMD writing software and blank UMDs themselves. Piracy (at least of PSP games) isn't so much an issue, since to run these games from XMB requires the UMD be encrypted, which it wouldn't. However, this does allow the end user to make UMDs of their music and movies to bring with them, thus saving Memstick space AND keeping UMDs in the business as money makers. Since if UMDs become part of consumer commodities, companies are more likely to produce and release their projects to UMDs, thus, perhaps, seeing a revival of UMD movies and music from official channels.

In combination with Shells, UMDs could also be packed with homebrew for those with smaller memcards, thus allowing Sony to ultimately make money off of homebrew.

2)More media formats within the XMB. Homebrew may soon achieve this, but its quintesential to the PSP's future as a media device.

3)Better games from more than a handful of companies that seem to release the same thing! And these games need to make full use of the PSP's full potential. (read: unlock 333mhz Sony and just release a far better battery)

Anyone else have any ideas?

cloud_952
October 1st, 2006, 07:23
Corporations don't listen to petitions generally, much less internet ones. No one cares about internet petitions.

Second: Sony's policies, hardware, and software come from JAPAN. Petition SCEA or SCEE as much as you like, and assuming they cared (I assure you, they don't), their hands are tied. The JPN dept. is the one that programs the firmware, decides where the PSP, PS2, and PS3 are going, and what happens. So, unless you know alot of Japanese people and can write in Japanese, it's a moot point anyway.

But then we hit condition number one: no one cares about online petitions.

Noble cause.. but brushing your teeth is more worthwhile than spending the time to create or even sign the petition. Just think about all the plaque building up midday. =D

mesosade
October 1st, 2006, 08:17
awww geez i forgot to brush my teeth today...

cloud_952
October 1st, 2006, 08:30
Well, you definitely should.. at least once a day. =D Think about how useful it would be in the long run.

At least don't tell me that you signed a petition instead of brushing your teeth. =p Tsk, tsk.

dejkirkby
October 1st, 2006, 10:44
Dude, don't neglect your teeth!

SSaxdude
October 1st, 2006, 15:53
I remember somebody made a homebrew petition against Sony sometime last year. It obviously failed.

F9zDark
October 1st, 2006, 15:53
My plan was to petition Sony Japan and an online petition while something I considered was one that I didn't want to resort to since anyone can make an online petition and nowadays they are almost as popular as the blogs. But a paper petition is... well impossible to handle.

I honestly didn't expect anything to really get through to Sony; alot of the things they did with the PSP are just beyond logic. If by some chance something comes of this and it works and Sony listens, everything works out better for everyone; Sony makes money, we get UMD burners to make our favorite mixes and copy our movies to. Its just all around a better deal in the end, if it happens.

cloud_952
October 1st, 2006, 20:06
My plan was to petition Sony Japan....

If by some chance something comes of this and it works and Sony listens, everything works out better for everyone....

Its just all around a better deal in the end, if it happens.

Okay, let's start from the top. o_o SCEJ is based in Japan. People in Japan (generally) speak Japanese. Despite the 6 years of required English, reading and speaking skills are generally somewhat poor (I taught English in Japan for a period of time, for the record). I also don't suspect that Sony of Japan employees typically browse message boards based in the UK just for kicks. Especially ones about homebrew. If they did, then that means that they already "sympathize" with the cause and clearly haven't done anything at this point.

Sure.. still a noble idea, and it makes you feel any better to do it, go ahead. But I still think that brushing your teeth is a better use of your time. Especially that other guy who CLEARLY needs to do it more. >_>

This just came to mind:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/09/22

Please aknowledge I'm not aiming to be rude here. ^^;

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 01:20
I understand, you're just thinking realistically. Which is why I started this thread before just going ahead and doing it. :D

Wally
October 2nd, 2006, 02:01
Corporations don't listen to petitions generally, much less internet ones. No one cares about internet petitions.

Second: Sony's policies, hardware, and software come from JAPAN. Petition SCEA or SCEE as much as you like, and assuming they cared (I assure you, they don't), their hands are tied. The JPN dept. is the one that programs the firmware, decides where the PSP, PS2, and PS3 are going, and what happens. So, unless you know alot of Japanese people and can write in Japanese, it's a moot point anyway.

But then we hit condition number one: no one cares about online petitions.

Noble cause.. but brushing your teeth is more worthwhile than spending the time to create or even sign the petition. Just think about all the plaque building up midday. =D

I second that