PDA

View Full Version : Join the MGS treasure hunt

wraggster
October 4th, 2006, 23:07
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, the team-based Metal Gear episode for PSP, will feature a location-specific download system that'll see you downloading special playable characters in different locations across the globe.

Originally thought to be tied into the PSP GPS add-on, Konami has revealed that the GPS receiver (which isn't confirmed for the UK) won't be required for this feature to work.

To get all the characters, you'll have to be a real jet-setter. At special PSP points around the world you'll be able to hook up and download a character - some are from MGS history, some are new - to add to your Portable Ops team. One character will be available in a location in London, for instance, while another might be downloadable in Manchester, Barcelona or Tokyo.

With Portable Ops not out until early next year, Konami is keeping schtum on who these special characters are but we'll continue to hunt down new info.

Via Gamesradar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/psp/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20061003153547562031&releaseId=20060510144827750070)

blackrave
October 4th, 2006, 23:42
I thought this was old news.
It's not so cool to be forced to go to London, Tokyo and Barcelona to get some characters. There must be another way of getting them?

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 23:49
Its not really being forced... Those who can get there will have a character that someone who can't doesn't have. They probably don't offer anything but a unique face to the battle field (as to maintain balance and playability).

What it really is doing is 'forcing' people to bring their PSPs wherever they go on vacation, in the event that perhaps they can get this character.

buildit92
October 4th, 2006, 23:54
why should we spend $5000 to travel around the world to download other characters. its not right. the most they should do is download off a website for like a dollor. or they should have it so that you can download it directly on your psp like "megaman power up" did to get new characters and level. well i'm not going around the world to download a character i'm waiting until a game save comes out with all the characters.

F9zDark
October 4th, 2006, 23:58
lol why are people seeing this the wrong way? No sane human being would travel around the world to download characters...

All its doing is giving you something else to do IN THE EVENT that you happen to be walking the streets of London or some other major city. Not to mention, some, if not most, people live near a major city that will probably have said character location.

I live near New York city and I know damn well that the largest city on earth is going to get its own special character to download...

People are making a big deal out of it like you have to travel to get them... If you are going on vacation to Londo, Tokyo, etc and happen to bring your PSP, guess what? You're in luck.

buildit92
October 5th, 2006, 02:50
well yea i know its not bad. but when is the next time you go to tokyo? a normal gamer person will not want to drive/fly around in order to get a character

Veskgar
October 5th, 2006, 03:17
If these are going to be downloadable extra's, can't people just upload them somewhere so that everyone can get them?

Forever~Zero
October 5th, 2006, 04:31
Hmm. Pretty interesting. Guess i'm out of luck though.

g00gy
October 5th, 2006, 15:05
im going around the world for charecters :D.

i doubt anyone would travel for that reason but it sounds fun for the holiday season. "family were going to japan *kids: daddy why* ... so we can download this kool new charecter for my psp game" ;)

Vega
October 5th, 2006, 15:32
hopefully people around the world will upload their gamesaves.. and we can download the characters that way :) screw goin around the world for unlockables. thats pretty dumb....

F9zDark
October 5th, 2006, 19:52
Its not worth it at that point then, the characters will most definately have some sort of meaning for why they are only accessible in a certain city. The whole system is pointless if someone is just gonna download them off the net.

No doubt Konami will ensure security measures as well, especially for character that may give an edge in combat (unlikely, since this would unbalance the game, but never know).

kersplatty
October 5th, 2006, 20:04
cudnt you jus use someone elses save game say of sum1 hu lives in tokyo then if u liv in londonn get the london one and so on

Vega
October 6th, 2006, 04:23
If Konami or YOU think that someone will really travel around the world to unlock stuff in a game... there is something desperatly wrong.

Yes... of course there will be the odd spoilt brat weirdo who will do this, but the saying "more money than brains" comes into effect there.

I'll happily download my characters from the Net.. thank you very much. Jesus christ... I wouldnt even travel 5 miles to unlock something in a game nevermind travel across the globe. It is so dumb.