PDA

View Full Version : Booting emulators and roms using the ar max evo?

foofighter2k2000
February 18th, 2005, 13:14
Hi

I have a little problem with using emulators on my ps2 to emulate the snes and master system.

I have an unmodified ps2 and a action replay max evo, which comes with a genesis/megadrive emulator, it's a version of pgen. It nalso comes with media creator software which burns discs read by the ps2 when the ar max software is used. So i can play the Genesis roms happily enough, but not anything else,. I also have ar2 v2 but i have no idea how to use that to boot up discs

I downloaded snesstation and burnt it onto a disc with over 30 snes roms using the media creator software and it read the emulator the .elf file and .cnf files, so i managed to run the emulator and it works perefctly the problem is i cant find any roms on the disc. I have read many forums of how to use the emulator including using cdgenps2 to create a bin file and burning with nero, but this disc wont boot up at all. Ive also tired making another disc but putting all the roms in a file named 'roms'. This didnt works, but again the emulator did.

I also tried this with the master system emulator and i had the exact same problem it couldnt find the roms.

Does anybody have a solution for this or can give me anyadvice on how to correct this?

Thanks

Emulation_Chief
February 19th, 2005, 04:18
*Hello! *I also has an unmodded PS2. *I also had problems booting snesstation. *To solve that you need the following:

snesstation 0.2.3 (the 0.2.0 doesn't work on unmodded ps2's)
cdgenPS2 (to create the Image file to burn)
snes_cd_020.pdf (contains all the instructions)
your own set of roms (placed in ROMS directory)
AR v2 or GameShark v2 (doesn't work on version 2.30)
Swap Magic 3.0 CD version or higher (as an alternative to AR)

*You can find any of the files on snesstation.gamebase.ca site. *Just download them. *The Roms, well, you know where to find them.

*First read the snes_cd_020.pdf file. *It will tell you how to make the Images. *The Nero method ONLY works on modded PS2's. *Garanteed. *I will tell you a little more about how to use cdgenPS2. *If you are not a Windows user, you can always rely on emulators for other OS to run it. *cdgenPS2 comes in 2 languages: English and Spanish. *The Spanish version of the program is much more stable than its English counterpart. *the PDF file will show you step-by-step the windows and the input you have to insert. *You can easily check the windows pictures with the program just to be sure you're doing everything correctly.

*Here's the trick of cdgenPS2: *it can create 2 types of Disc Image, ISO and BIN + CUE. *Creating the ISO result in a corrupt file 99% of the time. *Be sure you have a burning program, other than Nero, that can support BIN + CUE files. *Another trick of cdgenPS2: Images has to be <= 550 MB size. *Otherwise, the disc will not boot. *Fortunately, snesstation has ZIP ROM support. Another trick again for cdgenPS2. You NEED the ROMS directory to put all your snes games on it. Put the games in small chunks at a time. For example, the directory has 200 games. Drag N' Dropping the whole folder will result in loss of data. When you check it, only 60 games passed to the program compilation. You have to delete the files that passed to cdgenPS2 and select the games in chunks of 20-30 until all 200 passed to the compilation.

*SNESSTATION has a naming convention to the ROMS. *the ROM name has to be no longer than 31 characters before the .zip extension.

*Now that you have the disc ready, let's use your AR v2 to boot it. *Put the AR v2 disc. *When it's ready to input codes, choose "Start the game without cheats". *AR will ask you to swap the disc and press X. *Do it. *SNESSTATION takes a little time to boot. *You will see minutes later the main menu with the list of directories available on the disc. Check the ROMS directory you placed the games and you will see them. *Hope this will be useful.

foofighter2k2000
February 19th, 2005, 14:48
Hi

Thankyou for your help, ive followed your instructions (together with that of others) and will test out the disc later. It's a shame that i could use the ar max media player to run it like the pgen that is supplied with it, i cant understand why the emulator boots up but cant find the roms. anyway ill try this method to see if it helps. as i have a ar2 as well as the max.

Thanks again

Emulation_Chief
February 19th, 2005, 15:19
Hello again! I forgot to tell you something. SNESSTATION only loads NTSC games correctly. It has little or no compatibility with PAL roms. Check the disc you made to see how many roms loads correctly. List the ones that doesn't load properly. You can use goodsnes tool to check the correct rom that loads on your PC. Some websites has lists of the SNES games already checked with goodsnes. It's a matter of downloading them again and retest it.

Black Jackal
March 7th, 2005, 17:26
I have the same prob. I can not get any other roms or emulators to work, i have no cash and only Action Replay Max. Is there a way around this?