PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!!!!

NukeDes
November 15th, 2011, 03:04
Hey everyone I've just joined this forum to hopefully share my passion for Sega's truly outstanding console!
A couple of questions however:

1. Would anyone know of a really good site apart from Ebay or Amazon that allows their members to buy and sell Dreamcast games? I'm looking for stuff such as Giga Wing, Skies Of Arcadia and so on! It doesn't matter whether it is PAL, NTSC etc.

2. I really want to join the world of Homebrew and Game Development for the Dreamcast (it is fantastic to see innovative games are still being created and sold) for my own interests and to compliment my uni course, but would anyone know of any really good tutorials to get me started =D

3. How to get my Dreamcast online, what the best games are to play online and what are supported by the community the most!

Hope to speak to some of you guys soon!

BlueCrab
November 16th, 2011, 12:49
Well, as for #2, do you know any programming languages? If not, you should start there. There are a few "simple" languages/engines out there that you could use, but for serious development, you should learn the C programming language. Once you have a firm grasp on C, then you should be able to pick up the Dreamcast development libraries (KallistiOS) pretty quickly.

As for #3, if you only have a modem in the Dreamcast, you're stuck with a few options. Option 1 is to buy a Broadband adapter. They're expensive, but if you want to do development and play Phantasy Star Online, its worth it. Option 2 is to get a dialup ISP of some sort, and use the modem to get online. You'll need a "real" phone line to do this, you'll tie it up while you're online, and you have the extra costs associated with using dialup internet. Option 3 is to use what's been referred to as a "DC-PC Server" or some such like that. I've never done this myself (I have a BBA), so I really can't offer any advice on it.

As for what Dreamcast games are still online, you have Phantasy Star Online (through unofficial servers, of which I wrote one), Quake III Arena, and 4x4 Evolution. There may be more games that are still able to play online than that, but those are the ones I know of off the top of my head. Each has its own procedure for getting online at this point.