PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: 1.5 and 2.71 SE-A PSPs

porchemasi
October 11th, 2006, 18:12
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I currently have fw 1.5 and love it, I am wondering as of today what the differnce between 1.5 and 2.71 SE-A PSPs are?

jak66
October 11th, 2006, 19:26
you can play most homebrew on 2.71, which means that if you want to play a umd/browse the internet/<insert other thing you cannot do on a 1.5> you dont have to start devhook (2.71 is faster than an emulated 2.71)

splodger15
October 11th, 2006, 19:34
you can play most homebrew on 2.71

More like on a 1.5 not all apps work for 2.71 yet

jak66
October 11th, 2006, 19:44
you mean i should have said
'most homebrew works on 2.71 SE-A with the 1.5 bootstrap' right, guess it was my mistake forgetting the SE-A part after the 2.71

splodger15
October 11th, 2006, 19:53
More homebrew works on a 1.5 then a 2.71

jak66
October 11th, 2006, 20:19
i thought it was just umd emulators and flashing apps that didnt work on 2.71 SE-A

porchemasi
October 12th, 2006, 03:29
bups

Cloudhunter
October 12th, 2006, 11:16
i thought it was just umd emulators and flashing apps that didnt work on 2.71 SE-A

Moreoless true. However, it doesn't seem to like extra things in the param.sfo occasionly.

Luckily, someone brought out a fixer:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38807

MikeDX
October 12th, 2006, 12:32
More homebrew works on a 1.5 then a 2.71

I assume you have a PSP running 2.71SE-A and have tried it.

Would you please let us know what doesnt run?

dejkirkby
October 12th, 2006, 12:54
I assume you have a PSP running 2.71SE-A and have tried it.

Would you please let us know what doesnt run?
Wow, you are really on splodgers case today, huh!

MikeDX
October 12th, 2006, 12:57
Wow, you are really on splodgers case today, huh!

I'm just asking him to elaborate that's all.

cha0ticbliss
October 13th, 2006, 22:38
yes, I too am wondering if you get full homebrew/backed up iso capabilites now that the fixer has come out.

ExcruciationX
October 13th, 2006, 22:43
Most homebrew works, aside from flashing apps, and IR Shell. That's all I have tested.

kando
October 13th, 2006, 22:46
ok: heres my pro's and cons:

1.50:

pro: easily modify firmware components, most homebrew supported, though kxploiting must be done in some cases..

con: 1.00 homebrew has to be k-xploited to 1.50 homebrew in order to work (unless you have custom firmware). no flash player/built in internet browser. photos take longer to load. devhook is required to play most newer games. background is a pain to change.

2.71se

pros: supports ALL homebrew (1.00, 1.50, 2.xx, 2.71 HEN-C), homebrew doesnt need to be kxploited, built in internet browser, flash player, wma player, other picture formats supported, photos load faster. newer games do not need devhook (as of yet, until they require 2.80+). easily change backgrounds and background colors.

cons: some homebrew needs to be "fixed" as they show as corrupt....but fixing is rather simple. firmware modification is not as simple in 2.71 SE-A, but thats mostly due to the lack of firmware modification programs out ATM. Also, 2.71SE-A takes an extra 2 seconds to start up when you turn it on. last but not least, 1.00/1.50 homebrew must be put in a GAME150\ folder instead of the \GAME\ folder, which disables 1.00/1.50 homebrew when devhooking your 2.71(flash) :(

that about sums it up!

kando
October 13th, 2006, 22:46
Most homebrew works, aside from flashing apps, and IR Shell. That's all I have tested.

IR Shell works, you just need to "fix" it :)

cha0ticbliss
October 13th, 2006, 22:52
Thanks for the quick response Kando. I suppose I will try out this custom firmware.

One question, I can still go back to 1.5 firmware correct?

I assume that you can, but I just want to make sure.:)

kando
October 13th, 2006, 22:54
Thanks for the quick response Kando. I suppose I will try out this custom firmware.

One question, I can still go back to 1.5 firmware correct?

I assume that you can, but I just want to make sure.:)

of course! dark_alex always thinkin of the community...if you dont like his stuff, theres always a way out! =)

the one thing your gonna have to do tho is "fix" ur homebrew that comes up as corrupt....its a very small inconvience for this great firmware :)

ICE
October 13th, 2006, 22:58
2.71 SE-A is simply more convenient.

psiko_scweek
October 14th, 2006, 08:29
eh i dont actually own any PSP games (i got a PsP for the homebrew...kinda sad i know) eitherway, im going to stick with 1.5 for now, im going to wait and see about the 2.71SE and make sure all the bugs are kinked out before i upgrade.

potatoman
October 14th, 2006, 15:27
kando how the heck did u get a 2.80 psp to be downgradeable???

- 2.71 SE-A PSP (Black)
- 1.50 PSP (Black - Claimed by DAD)
- 2.80 Downgradable (eventually) Black PSP :eek: :confused:

althena77
October 14th, 2006, 16:00
Hello :)

I use right now Harleyg's Custom Firmware and what I really like most about it, is that you can disable the autostart of UMDs. Very convenient, when you turn on your PSP and want to use an emulator and not play the game in the drive. Can you do this in 2.71 SE too?

cha0ticbliss
October 14th, 2006, 18:50
I haven't done it personally, but I am pretty sure you can through the recovery menu. (hold R while starting up to access it.)

Rocksil
October 14th, 2006, 19:18
i personaly is stayin with 1.5

u might need to run devhook to do what u what on 2.71 but im use to it i dont mind. and that thing about it run all homebrew from 1.0 - 2.71(hen c) its a waste of time as long as it works on 1.0 it gonna work on 1.5 and 2.71 does not play every single homebrew. plus i still have a feeling that it can still brick ur psp if u miss use it

1.5 4 EVA

althena77
October 14th, 2006, 19:56
I just read the news on PSP-Updates again:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=68625

So first it says:

Personally, one of the main reasons I've stayed on 1.5 is because of Devhook and the Firmware mods. Now since it's all supported on 2.71, I don't see any reason why I should stick on 1.5.

But then later:

Besides, the UMD autoloading will probably be disabled by a firmware mod sometime in the future.

What does this mean now, can I use Firmware mods for the 2.71 SE now or not :confused: Harleyg's Custom Firmware is a Firmware mod for 1.5, could I mod the 2.71 SE with this one too, to disable the UMD autoloading? Disabling UMD autorun was the main reason for me to install Harleyg's Custom Firmware and I don't want to miss this in any other custom firmware, as I spent more time playing hombrew games and emulators on my PSP than "real" PSP games :rolleyes:

BL4Z3D247
October 14th, 2006, 20:06
none of the mods for any 1.5 custom fw will work with 2.71SE, 2.71SE already has some customizations built in(skip the SCE logo, hide corrupt data, and recovery mode)so we need to wait til some mods to come out for it

cha0ticbliss
October 14th, 2006, 20:20
What are some examples of mods available for 1.5?

Anger
October 14th, 2006, 20:53
Hello :)

I use right now Harleyg's Custom Firmware and what I really like most about it, is that you can disable the autostart of UMDs. Very convenient, when you turn on your PSP and want to use an emulator and not play the game in the drive. Can you do this in 2.71 SE too?
simple answer - yes.

for those asking about modifying your flash - riskier but still possible with the right application and a bit of knowledge about what could happen if it goes wrong also helps.

i have disabled kxploit, disabled autorun, set all background colors to black, disabled startup screen and changed gameboot, hell the only thing i didnt try (and wont be) is changing the fonts. the reason is that the fonts were causing d_a some trouble. if you remember in the readme some languages are disabled - i dont want to risk this however im sure someone else will.

althena77
October 14th, 2006, 22:13
simple answer - yes.

Thanks for this simple reply :)

i have disabled kxploit, disabled autorun, set all background colors to black, disabled startup screen and changed gameboot.

Which program did you use to change the gameboot in 2.71 SE? In 1.5 I used ThemePSP to change the gameboot and/or bootsound and I would like to do that in 2.71 SE too. However ThemePSP complains that it only wants to run from PSP/GAME but I have to run it in 2.71 from PSP/GAME150.

V3N0M
October 14th, 2006, 22:17
You could convert it into a 1.0 eboot. That may work. A good program to use would be PSPBrew. That will convert 1.5 eboots into a 1.0 eboot.

Tetris999
October 14th, 2006, 22:33
i just wanna say 2.71 S-U-C-K-S! even though the thing is cracked it doesnt matter 1.50 homebrew because you have more acess to your psp also there are custom firmwares for it! heck i even think the 1.00 firmware is da bomb because the psp is totally ready to be hacked when that happens. i wonder what we could turn a psp 1.00, like i mean its totally defensless we could make an ultimate custom firmware that you can install your own stuff on it, not just little nick nacks here and there about running 1.0 eboots and skipping the screen or changing the background
\
(this my sound like an itsult:D )

althena77
October 14th, 2006, 22:43
You could convert it into a 1.0 eboot. That may work. A good program to use would be PSPBrew. That will convert 1.5 eboots into a 1.0 eboot.

I just tried it, but this did not work. After converting the PBPs of ThemePSP to 1.0 nothing changed. When I try to run the program from psp/game150 it starts, but tells me to reinstall it into psp/game/ThemePSP and nowhere else. But when I try to do so, it won't start at all; I guess because it is not compatibel with the 2.71 FW.

But thanks for your fast reply anyway :)