PDA

View Full Version : Light Gun Woes

jeffrey_goines
November 24th, 2004, 17:16
Greetings all,
Was wondering if any of you had any ideas about the following problem(s) I am having with my new tv and light guns.

As we all know most light guns do not work with projection or plasma tvs. There are a few that claim they do but I don't know anyone that has tried them. Have you? In addition or just to make things worse I am using component out because there is a noticeable difference with my tv... I hear there is an adapter I will need in order to get the light guns to work in this configuration, however once again I am back on the same I don't know anyone that has used this adapter or were to find it.

Any thoughts and or suggestions would be great...
Jeff

jeffrey_goines
November 25th, 2004, 00:30
/shamelessBump

Vorrtexx
November 25th, 2004, 07:55
Does your new TV run at 100 hz rather than 50/60hz ?

If so, I would suspect that to be the problem with the light guns.

Also if your TV is an LCD or Plasma screen, I'm not sure it will work with that either. But I have never tried.

jeffrey_goines
November 25th, 2004, 13:35
Does your new TV run at 100 hz rather than 50/60hz ?

If so, I would suspect that to be the problem with the light guns.

Also if your TV is an LCD or Plasma screen, I'm not sure it will work with that either. But I have never tried.

Woops. .Sorry, looks like I didn't make that very clear huh? My TV is DLP projection (similar to LCD projection), and correct the standard light guns will not work with projection, yes I tried and with RCA composite as well. There are some guns that claim to work but like I said I haven't used those... then there is of course the issue of using component vs composite video and locating the adapter for that.

Vorrtexx
November 25th, 2004, 16:12
hmm, I doubt the guns would work from a projection.

Not to go into too much detail on how a lightgun works, but with a standard tv, it draws the image on the screen from the top left to the bottom right, first by drawing a line completely across from left to right, then moving down to the next line to start and so on til it hits the end and does a vertical trace (back to the top to start all over again). A lightgun's photo sensor responds to a very bright color, usually white (which is why lightgun games flash white every time you shoot) so when the white it being drawn on the screen from top to bottom, the lightgun registers a hit to the console when it detects a white light from the line being drawn on the tv. The console stores this position to know where the gun was shot at on screen.

So this is how your standard lightgun with a normal TV works, briefly.
I don't think projectors or LCD screens draw their image to the screen in the same manner, which is probably why the lightgun does not work with it.

jeffrey_goines
November 27th, 2004, 15:37
So this is how your standard lightgun with a normal TV works, briefly.
I don't think projectors or LCD screens draw their image to the screen in the same manner, which is probably why the lightgun does not work with it.

Hey Vorrtexx thank you for the response. Correct the standard light guns do not work. The question is two fold, 1) do the light guns that claim to work with projection TVs really work and 2) what can be done about component out vs the standard RCA video composite out that the light guns use be default. Three forums and no one seems to have any ideas, lol. So far most of the responses are exactly what you typed "this is how standard light guns work". Ummm... I know they don't work guys, I know that cause I was there when I tried. The question isn't about the standards. hehe

FrankShooter
November 27th, 2004, 21:48
Check out www.erealgames.com, wait for December

jeffrey_goines
November 27th, 2004, 23:33
Check out www.erealgames.com, wait for December

cool! That is one down. Thanks. Now for the component out.

-edit
Got it. http://www.gamechoice.com.hk/navigateProduct.asp?product_id=301#

2 down! Hurray!

Eric
November 28th, 2004, 02:08
but whats the problem incase other people like me run into the problem?

FrankShooter
November 28th, 2004, 10:16
Traditional light gun read the line on TV screen, therefore it depends on the refresh frequencies of the TV screen. It will not work on many TVs even with the adaptor. 'www.erealgames.com' 's light gun uses a camera that sits on the top of TV, the carema looks at the gun itself. Therefore it doesn't matter what TV screen you are using.