PDA

View Full Version : MMD .gba compatibility petition

Knux896
October 16th, 2006, 04:02
As you may or may not know, Codejunkies Max Media Player DS Mini-site claims that the Max Media Dock and Max Media Player are capable of playing homebrew in .gba format. This is, however, not a possibility so I put together a petition in order to try and convince Datel to add the compatability that they promised. The petition is available to read at:http://www.PetitionOnline.com/MMDGBA/petition.html

I hope that you will take the time to read the petition and hopefully see it as worth signing.

sonikku88
October 16th, 2006, 09:44
Hell yeah, I'll sign this! Datel lied and it's time for them to pay. :mad:

houseonfire
October 16th, 2006, 21:45
A bunch of people saying that they want it wont make it happen.. This is pointless.

Knux896
October 16th, 2006, 22:27
A bunch of people saying that they want it wont make it happen.. This is pointless.
Obviously someone has never heard of the Declaration of Independence. 13 colonies saying they want independence from England. Or how about the women's rights movement leading to the 19th ammendment. Take just about any law or change in the history of humanity and you will find that it started with "a bunch of people saying" that they wanted what they feel they had a right to.

It is never pointless to petition for the things we deserve.

SSaxdude
October 16th, 2006, 22:46
The problem with this is that if they did enable GBA rom support in the MMD, they wouldn't be selling it in retail stores. That's why you buy an M3 or Supercard instead.

toymin80r
October 16th, 2006, 23:16
they should at least release emulators that actually work for the HDD, anyways it costed us more than $150 for this, they didnt really lie about running emulators, but they shouldve released one with the HDD. Hopefully another update is coming soon, and its as good as the support to play videos from the last update.

Knux896
October 16th, 2006, 23:16
The problem with this is that if they did enable GBA rom support in the MMD, they wouldn't be selling it in retail stores. That's why you buy an M3 or Supercard instead.
The main reason for this petition is that Datel clearly states on their website that the MMD and MMP products support .gba homebrew. I do not expect for Datel to add rom support to the MMD, I simply expect them to implement the features that they have claimed are included in their products.

TeenDev
October 16th, 2006, 23:41
where did they say that it can play .gba? it's probably due to a fat library no one has.

Knux896
October 16th, 2006, 23:55
where did they say that it can play .gba? it's probably due to a fat library no one has.
They state it on the link pages of the MMP Mini-site:

http://home.comcast.net/~swbfii/GBA_MMP.bmp
The above image is from http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/links_emulators.htm

TeenDev
October 16th, 2006, 23:58
well maybe we could use stuff like that if some one made a NDS fat library with MMP that people actually used.

Knux896
October 17th, 2006, 00:08
well maybe we could use stuff like that if some one made a NDS fat library with MMP that people actually used.
The problem is that .gba homebrew has nothing to do with NDS fat libraries and is it's own seperate type. While there is DS homebrew that sports the .gba file name it is actually different from the .gba homebrew that Datel claims will run on the Max Media Dock.

TeenDev
October 17th, 2006, 01:08
sorry I dont know anything about coding

sonikku88
October 17th, 2006, 10:56

Even so, they shouldn't lie about their product. That's false advertising and they can be prosecuted for it.

Bonic
October 17th, 2006, 23:23
I emailed Datel before, they told me

"The Max Media Player is able to play any Game Boy Advance rom, but you must convert it into a working Nintendo DS rom file."

Has anyone TRIED to do anything like this? Then again, why won't anyone TRY to make a GBA emu for MMD?

Ranma Mao
October 18th, 2006, 09:38
I wonder if Mushroomb and Kingpin could put GBA into MO? Datel says it just has to be converted, so, there might be a way.

Knux896
October 18th, 2006, 09:44
I emailed Datel before, they told me

"The Max Media Player is able to play any Game Boy Advance rom, but you must convert it into a working Nintendo DS rom file."

Has anyone TRIED to do anything like this? Then again, why won't anyone TRY to make a GBA emu for MMD?
As far as I (or anyone on any forum I have seen) know, there isn't really a way to convert .gba files to .nds format unless the .gba file is actually a DS game file that was made for use with GBA flashcarts. The closest thing I have seen to someone converting a gba file to work on the DS is Snezziboy being made into SnezziDS. The problem with that for MMD users is that the Max Media Dock can't recognize .gba files regardless of whether they are DS or GBA homebrew. Snezziboy/DS use the .gba extension and are therefore incompatible with the MMD. The only real way for a user to play these game files is if the MMD firmware were updated to recognize and run these files.

Datel said that the MMD could run .gba files right out of the box. This makes their "you have to convert the files" statement contradictory to the information they supplied before purchase which is false advertising plain and simple. If Datel had said from the start that the MMD was only capable of playing NDS files that would have been fine, but I feel that Datel needs to deliver on their promises.

guitarmonkey
October 18th, 2006, 10:58
ok..

how is talking about using copied .gba games on the MMD any more legal than talking about copied .nds games on MMD ?

i thought there was no talk of ROMS in here ??

this is CLEARLY discussing GBA piracy.

Knux896
October 18th, 2006, 11:50
ok..

how is talking about using copied .gba games on the MMD any more legal than talking about copied .nds games on MMD ?

i thought there was no talk of ROMS in here ??

this is CLEARLY discussing GBA piracy.
If you read the petition (http://www.PetitionOnline.com/MMDGBA/petition.html) you will see that it is quite clearly directed towards .gba homebrew. This thread is not to try and get Datel to support illegal game backups, but to try and get them to deliver the homebrew compatibility that they claim their device has. Also, the term "rom" is sometimes used loosely as a game file like a homebrew game and not as an illegal game backup.

kcajblue
October 18th, 2006, 16:31
I wonder if Mushroomb and Kingpin could put GBA into MO? Datel says it just has to be converted, so, there might be a way.dont talk about MO. its illegal.

Bonic
October 18th, 2006, 22:40
Ok, thats it! I'm gonna make a GBA emu so you guys will shut the hell up........I'm gonna use the source of picodriveds...or SNEmuDS.

Junixx
October 19th, 2006, 01:17
Ok, thats it! I'm gonna make a GBA emu so you guys will shut the hell up........I'm gonna use the source of picodriveds...or SNEmuDS.

Wouldnt necisarrily be a emulator though because your using the exact GBA hardware though would it?

Bonic
October 19th, 2006, 03:02
No, I'm gonna use the source code of VBA.

Junixx
October 19th, 2006, 03:05
No, I'm gonna use the source code of VBA.

VBA emulates the ARM7 Processor that the GBA uses....

kcajblue
October 19th, 2006, 05:17
Wouldnt necisarrily be a emulator though because your using the exact GBA hardware though would it?i see what you mean.

Ranma Mao
October 19th, 2006, 09:15
dont talk about MO. its illegal.
Funny, I wasn't aware that code was crime. The point is that the MMD can run commercial NDS files with patching, even the ARM7. Thus, from that example, we could make a loader for GBA ARM7 homebrew. It would mean that each homebrew would have to patched and still wouldn't run natively in the MMP, but it'd be better than none at all, right? It would be silly not to learn from example because something is "illegal". Datel will do it in time, or maybe in a later product. We can wait for them, or make our own solution.

Oh, I looked this up for the people too lazy to do it on their own:

ROM

n : (computer science) memory whose contents can be accessed and read but cannot be changed

[syn: read-only memory, ROM, read-only storage, fixed storage]

Hmm, I read nothing in there about "piracy" or "1337 hax". It's a word, people, get used to it. It's almost interchangable with EXE.

sonikku88
October 19th, 2006, 20:37

Hold on. Why should you do Datel's dirty work? They promised .gba file compatibility. Let's just bombard them with thousands of complaint e-mails. That'll show 'em. >=D

Bonic
October 19th, 2006, 22:30
But I want to play GBA emu! Just like everyone else! We can't just wait, they take forever to make things, they can't even get codes to work on wifi!

Wouldnt necisarrily be a emulator though because your using the exact GBA hardware though would it?
Give me a soruce code :P

kcajblue
October 19th, 2006, 23:26
Funny, I wasn't aware that code was crime.its illegal because some people made it able to run roms on something thats not supposed to run them.

Hmm, I read nothing in there about "piracy" or "1337 hax". It's a word, people, get used to it. It's almost interchangable with EXE.there are different uses for the word rom.

Hold on. Why should you do Datel's dirty work? They promised .gba file compatibility. Let's just bombard them with thousands of complaint e-mails. That'll show 'em. >=Dwhy dont you start a petition

Junixx
October 20th, 2006, 00:32
why dont you start a petition

Lol this thread is posting a petition :rolleyes: just got a little off subject though

Bonic
October 20th, 2006, 01:03
Well, now that we are off topic, does anyone know how to use DSFlash?

kcajblue
October 20th, 2006, 01:13
Lol this thread is posting a petition :rolleyes: just got a little off subject thoughi meant an actual petition that people can sign. like the ones here
http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html

Junixx
October 20th, 2006, 02:06
The petition is available to read at:http://www.PetitionOnline.com/MMDGBA/petition.html

I hope that you will take the time to read the petition and hopefully see it as worth signing.

Like that one?

kcajblue
October 20th, 2006, 02:16
Like that one?man WOW!!! im hella stupid. how did i not see that.
nevermind all i said about starting a petition.
i must have been out of it when i posted that stuff.

Knux896
October 20th, 2006, 05:28
i meant an actual petition that people can sign. like the ones here
http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html
Thanks for the idea kcajblue, I just got back in my time machine after posting the petition. :p Gee and it has 23 signatures already. :D

Ranma Mao
October 20th, 2006, 06:02
its illegal because some people made it able to run roms on something thats not supposed to run them.

Depends on the point of view. PCs do LOTS of things that were never intended. Let's note that the NDS was never intended to run user code, thus making homebrew illegal according to your standard? Hacking: it's what hackers do.

sonikku88
October 21st, 2006, 15:27
How many signatures do we need before we can actually send this to Datel? :confused:

kcajblue
October 21st, 2006, 22:03
a lot

Knux896
October 24th, 2006, 23:13
a lot
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "a lot". It is at 49 as of this post.

sonikku88
October 24th, 2006, 23:46
We need to spread this to other DS homebrew forums if we want to get more signatures.

kcajblue
October 25th, 2006, 00:07
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "a lot". It is at 49 as of this post.i would say at least 500. because the petition for the M3 had a number like that.

adamned
January 11th, 2007, 23:58
with my signiture it has 233.

wiz13
September 15th, 2007, 23:02
mine made it 400 somthin but i hope datel gets the picture those lying @$$holes

ButterBeer121
September 16th, 2007, 03:09
Signed. 448 right now.

DanTheManMS
September 16th, 2007, 07:48
...you do realize that GBA compatibility would require a hardware modification, right?

There's no way to update the firmware to support it. It's physically impossible. Yes they lied, or it was a marketing error or something, but it's stupid to demand something that cannot be granted no matter how many requests they get.

murgero1
November 28th, 2007, 13:44
no, a software update will do it.... i know i am a little late but
Datel did lie sure, i looked at the hardware no RAM. software can emulate... *cough* Virtual RAM *cough*..... Yes i used 2GB virtual RAM for my computer..... (software not hardware.)
All we need is an emulator that will make like 30mb Virtual RAM before starting the GBA HB rom.... oh, and why does the PSP play GBA games? no ram on the memory stick.

30mb is for the big emulators or hombrews........ just to say.

DanTheManMS
November 30th, 2007, 01:50
Except that virtual RAM is:
1. Impossible on the DS, as it requires a MMU - Memory Management Unit - which the DS does not have
2. Waaaay too slow to run GBA files. See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/NAND_and_NOR for more info.

The PSP has 32 MB of RAM that it uses to copy the GBA game into before emulating it. 32 MB games are probably streamed from the memory card into RAM as needed, like the way SNEmulDS works with large (>3 MB) SNES games. This would not work on the DS because:
1. The DS only has 4 MB of RAM, not nearly enough to copy entire games to.
2. There is no GBA emulator for the DS in the first place

I hope you realize that none of these device makers are capable of creating emulators of their own. The only way Datel would be able to supply GBA playback to the MMD would be if some homebrew developer created a GBA emulator for all devices, which isn't going to happen because the DS already contains near-100% compatible hardware emulation that greatly exceeds anything a software emulator could possibly provide.