PDA

View Full Version : Help with HarleyGs custom firm ware

bradsten
October 18th, 2006, 08:48
I just downgraded my 2 hour old PSP 2.71 to 1.5. All went well until I installed HarleyGs custom firm ware before devhook 0.46. Then all I got was a black screen with the msg "can't load/start devhook" in the upper left corner. So I went to sleep thinking that I had made a brick in less than 6 hours(: Home from work now, I thought my last option, however fruitless, would be to remove the battery and try again. But before I even did that I hit the hold switch and voila! I got Harley's revovery menu.....
My question is: Which of the following options is the best for me to return to 1.5 and then install devhook?

1:flash ms0:/index.dat to flash0
2:flash ms0:/recovery.elf to flash0
3:flash ms0:/vshmain.prx to flash0
4:Start update EBOOT
5:Remove Custom Firmware

I'm guessing #5, just removing the custom firmware but this time I want to listen to more experienced & educated voices. mucho TIA!

Cloudhunter
October 18th, 2006, 10:03
I can tell you an easy way of fixing that problem. Put your wireless switch onto "on" :p As when it's in the off position, it loads straight to devhook. If that isn't the problem, please write back.

Either way, you don't need to remove the custom firmware to install devhook. You could just use the "USB Mode" in the recovery menu to activate the USB and install it from there.

Cloudy

mnuhaily22
October 18th, 2006, 10:37
That's weird, it ran perfectly on my cousin's???

Cloudhunter
October 18th, 2006, 10:51
It works perfectly well here aswell. I believe the problem is the one which i've stated. I'm just waiting for feedback now :p

Cloudy

Anger
October 18th, 2006, 11:12
i would say check the config file and see what is set to auto boot and change it if need be. the config is in ms0:/PSP/SYSTEM. once you have 1.5 loading as normal then you can fix devhook and make it work. once it works of course its a simple matter to change the config file back and see if it then auto loads. :)

ICE
October 18th, 2006, 15:42
he has the wifi switch down so its loading devhook even though he doesnt actually have devhook. there's the problem. bradsten, GET DEVHOOK!! you need it anyways. it lets you simulate firmware up to 2.71 so you can play commercial games requiring such firmware. listen to cloudy he is wise.

splodger15
October 18th, 2006, 17:24
Isnt it something to with a unclean firmware dump i heard that from somewhere

Cloudhunter
October 18th, 2006, 18:03
Isnt it something to with a unclean firmware dump i heard that from somewhere

Not when it is saying that it can't run devhook, and devhook isn't even installed... He just has the WLAN switch down in my opinion :p

Cloudy

ExcruciationX
October 18th, 2006, 18:10
Put your WIFI switch to "ON" :)

HAMMIEZ
October 18th, 2006, 22:36
Put your WIFI switch to "ON"

damn right its clearly a lack of devhook causing ur problem. Either install devhook and autoboot to it, turn WIFI switch on and boot to 1.5 or just remove custom firmware altogether.

DPyro
October 18th, 2006, 23:26
Yep, just make sure the wireless switch is turned 'on' and you'll be fine :)

M!ckeY
October 19th, 2006, 02:26
just wanted to add my part....put the wifi switch to "on" >.>

Cloudhunter
October 19th, 2006, 02:53
just wanted to add my part....put the wifi switch to "on" >.>

That has been said so many times in so many different ways its ridiculous. Anyone else have anything to add? :D

Coudy

bradsten
October 19th, 2006, 12:03
After that I installed UMD loader v0.8c and today DEV-HOOK 0.46 Ultimate Installer v1.1.1 [2.71 firmware emulator]. Then I reactived HarleyG's custom FW. To tell you guys the truth, my motives for buying this PSP in the first place is to play UMD isos & csos I came across & of course homebrew and various system's romz. I hope I can admit this here as I'm thinking it may be taboo, but I'm willing to pay for hardware if the software is "affordable" and these definitely were... thing is they all show up in the xmb [both 1.50 & 2.71] as corrupted. UMD Emulator sees them on its options screen but freezes when I try to open one. Using dev 0.46 CISO tools to decompress .cso to .iso doesnt help.... oh, well; I'm not defeated. I'm just starting this psp thing and I totally realize getting something for nothing is not easy. [Hell, I wont even go into the moral or legal issues<g>
Thanks guys for all your help with HarleyG... yesterday I was getting used to the idea of having created an instant brick...now my future's bright with homebrew [so far I have 2 games: PSP Snake and a short LocoRoco demo....its a start :]

mcvader
October 19th, 2006, 13:20
I'm going a little bit off-topic here but this aint worth it's own thread.

I've been thinking about custom firmware recently and finally decided to install it, only prob is i can't find where to download Harley G's custom firmware. I can't find it on this site and did a search on google but could only find patches for it. Could someone please give me a link to the download? I'm assuming it comes with a detailed readme but is there anything else I should know before installing? Cheers all!:)

JD/
October 19th, 2006, 23:22
the patches are the custom firmware its just called a patch because it patches the 1.5 firmware you already have on the psp.