PDA

View Full Version : Should i downngrde my 2.6?

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 15:17
Mr.nick666 got me thinking about downgrading.... :p

This is where you make a case for me to downgrade my 2.6 PSP.

Is it worth it?

Apart from loading emu from the main screen how else is it different?

Is it safe?

Can i play games with a higher firmware?

And how do i tell my PSP is ok to start downgrading?

Thank you :)

MikeDX
October 20th, 2006, 15:24
Personally, I dont downgrade psps's anymore, I upgrade them to 2.71SE-A -

It's a way better firmware (tm)

S34MU5
October 20th, 2006, 16:18
Yeh downgrade to 1.5 its the Best firmware.

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 16:32
Can you elaborate on that?.

What makes it better than 2.6?. What else can it do other than load emu from the main screen?.

MikeDX
October 20th, 2006, 16:35
The only people who prefer 1.5 over 2.7SE-A are those that want to run isos.

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 17:03
Ok Mike, care to persuade me on upgrading to a 2.7SE-A?. Sorry to sound ignorant but i`ve stayed away from news regarding this so i honestly don`t have a clue what it is. I`m a beginer, tell me about it if you don`t mind.

ACID
October 20th, 2006, 17:10
The only people who prefer 1.5 over 2.7SE-A are those that want to run isos.
No that is a bunch of hopla right there mike. I happen to know a lot of people that have 1.50 and use devhook to play there ORIGINAL 2.71 games and dont use isos. Yes theres people out there that do it and i can care less. Sony makes billions ripping s of anyways. But 1.50 is a easyer thing to use. Just get devhook and launch it thats it and you can play your games. Or go to the game menu and start your emulators. Way easyer then everything you have to do with 2.7SE-A

psiko_scweek
October 20th, 2006, 17:18
Since you have 2.6, it would be rather easy to downgrad to a 1.5. The main advantage 1.5 has over 2.6 is the ability to run homebrew without needing an eLoader, it just needs the files kxploited. 99% of homebrew is made for 1.5 and can run without a problem.

now, what is so great about 2.7se? It allows you to have all the advantages of 2.7 (i.e. WMA playback, web browser, play new UMD games) but still be able to play homebrew like you would on a 1.5. In fact hombrew on the 2.7 doesnt need to be kxploited or anything just stuck in the game folder.

now why would anyone stick with 1.5? Simple, I stay there for simplicity because the 2.7SE does not allow you to upgrade your system without using recovery mode. Also there are some homebrew that simply does not work on 2.7SE (irShell, RunUMD, most ISO loaders, ect.)

So the choice is yours, if you play actual PSP games and want homebrew? you can get 2.7SE and it would work for what you need, but you can do the same thing with a 1.5+Devhook. (cept you have to exit Devhook to play the homebrew)

MikeDX
October 20th, 2006, 17:26
But 1.50 is a easyer thing to use. Just get devhook and launch it thats it and you can play your games. Or go to the game menu and start your emulators. Way easyer then everything you have to do with 2.7SE-A

How is that easier?

with 2.71SE you either run your homebrew or emulators from the memstick or you run your umd! theres nothing else to it!

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 17:26
Since you have 2.6, it would be rather easy to downgrad to a 1.5. The main advantage 1.5 has over 2.6 is the ability to run homebrew without needing an eLoader, it just needs the files kxploited. 99% of homebrew is made for 1.5 and can run without a problem.

now, what is so great about 2.7se? It allows you to have all the advantages of 2.7 (i.e. WMA playback, web browser, play new UMD games) but still be able to play homebrew like you would on a 1.5. In fact hombrew on the 2.7 doesnt need to be kxploited or anything just stuck in the game folder.

now why would anyone stick with 1.5? Simple, I stay there for simplicity because the 2.7SE does not allow you to upgrade your system without using recovery mode. Also there are some homebrew that simply does not work on 2.7SE (irShell, RunUMD, most ISO loaders, ect.)

So the choice is yours, if you play actual PSP games and want homebrew? you can get 2.7SE and it would work for what you need, but you can do the same thing with a 1.5+Devhook. (cept you have to exit Devhook to play the homebrew)

Very interesting

Well lets put it this way-I only own one PSP game, GTA, and only use my PSP for emu and video. 1.5 sounds great.

A few questions if you don`t mind. :)

How do i find out if my PSP is sutible for downgrading?

Are there any downgraders that are known to be very safe?

Is devhook dangerous to use?. Or should i say, is it completely safe from bricking a PSP?.

MikeDX
October 20th, 2006, 17:28
I stay there for simplicity because the 2.7SE does not allow you to upgrade your system without using recovery mode. Also there are some homebrew that simply does not work on 2.7SE (irShell, RunUMD, most ISO loaders, ect.)

There is your proof, stay on 1.5 to run iso loaders, nothing else. there is a version of irshell that works on 2.71SE.

ACID
October 20th, 2006, 17:33
There is your proof, stay on 1.5 to run iso loaders, nothing else. there is a version of irshell that works on 2.71SE.
And when 2.80 games come out witch will more then likely have support to let you run your 2.80 umds first devhook or the other. HUM:rolleyes: I guess we all know witch and thats why people dont upgrade.

jak66
October 20th, 2006, 17:38
And when 2.80 games come out witch will more then likely have support to let you run your 2.80 umds first devhook or the other. HUM:rolleyes: I guess we all know witch and thats why people dont upgrade.
seeing as 1.50 devhook works on 2.71 SE (in game150 folder) i would guess that when 2.80 devhook comes out (seeing as 0okm says that 2.80 games ARE out) itll work on both, unless drastic changes are made to it. (if what i said has nothing to do with what your talking about feel free to correct me)

Also i am fed up with people saying iR Shell doesnt work, it does, but you are to lazy to make it work yourself, i have uploaded a fixed ir shell eboot twice to these forums (in posts asking for help) so for everyone saying it doesnt
IR SHELL WORKS ON 2.71 SE-A, THE THINGS THAT DONT WORK ARE MOST ISO LOADERS (not all as devhook is an iso loader) AND MOST FLASH MODIFICATION TOOLS (not all as the is one for 2.71 SE-A specifically)

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 20:46
Guys, im on the verge of downgrading. My PSP doesn`t have the code inside the UMD lid so it`s safe so far. Now, i`ve checked the thread below but i`m a little confused....

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28007

What does Wragg mean by having a 1.50 dump?

potatoman
October 20th, 2006, 20:52
to check if u can downgrade open the umd drive and check for writing in the top right of the open umd drive. if it says something1003 then dont downgrade you have a ta 082 and downgrading will brick your psp.
i trust most downgraders AS LONG AS THEY ARE FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. the most reliable way would be to upgrade to 2.71 then use the 2.71 easy downgrader to downgrade.
Devhook doesnt write anything to the flash0 as far as I know, which is the only possible way of bricking a psp other than user stupidity ;). As long as you follow the instructions to a capital T you should be fine.
Good luck, post if iu need more help or if it works!
:) BTW this way u dont need a 1.5 dump

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 20:59
to check if u can downgrade open the umd drive and check for writing in the top right of the open umd drive. if it says something1003 then dont downgrade you have a ta 082 and downgrading will brick your psp.
i trust most downgraders AS LONG AS THEY ARE FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. the most reliable way would be to upgrade to 2.71 then use the 2.71 easy downgrader to downgrade.
Devhook doesnt write anything to the flash0 as far as I know, which is the only possible way of bricking a psp other than user stupidity ;). As long as you follow the instructions to a capital T you should be fine.
Good luck, post if iu need more help or if it works!
:) BTW this way u dont need a 1.5 dump

Ok, my PSP doesn`t have that code. :D

Three questions-

I assume i upgrade to 2.71? via an official Sony site?

When/if i do, could you perhaps link me to a thread or walkthrough about the 2.71 easy downgrader?

Also, how long should it take to downgrade?

potatoman
October 20th, 2006, 21:32
you can get the 2.71 update here, just copy it to your psp's game folder. Make sure u have about 20MB free!
http://dl.qj.net/Firmware-2.71-PSP/pg/12/fid/8046/catid/163
click on the orange download box near the bottom

potatoman
October 20th, 2006, 21:55
hang on im uploading the downgrader now just wait a sec
btw once u have all the files it shouldnt take longer than 1\2 hour
Also i accept no responsibility if it goes wrong, i assumed that u understood that this works 99% of the time, so if u brick ur psp that isnt my fault.

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 22:03
I understand, and thanks for the help. :)

Also, do i boot the 2.71 eboot via eloader?

And does it matter if i have a european PSP? i take it that`s a US download.

potatoman
October 20th, 2006, 22:04
right heres the full downgrader, just run the file & it'll explain along the way. it dosnt make a diference if its euro or not but that shoould be euro anyway, im in the uk. Next post on next page. check it its there now
Good luck post if it works!(its .com cause i uploaded it on a us server, the files should be euro, but again it makes no difference)
here's the file :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQEYG907

potatoman
October 20th, 2006, 22:05
youre welcome, and if its a sucess then thats another 1.5 joining the group!:D
good luck once more, can't wait to see if it works on yours, ive tested it on mine, works fine.
and no, its a file from sony just put it on the psp and go!

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 23:31
That`s weird, the eboot tried to update me to 2.8

?

psiko_scweek
October 20th, 2006, 23:59
Denny,

Go here for the 2.71 Update.
http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/524

also I use 1.5 for the ease of use, Im too lazy to worry about bricking my PSP for 2.7SE. (I dont use ISOs)

Be sure to follow the tutorial and when you want to downgrade to 1.5 use the GenericDowngrader, its ez to use.

Camelot
October 21st, 2006, 04:38
Accually I heard the the next revision of 2.7 SE will have the capability to run ISOs straight from the xmb making it a must for everyone. But ill stick with my 1.5 till i really see a good reason to go for 2.7 SE.

Mr.Denny
October 21st, 2006, 14:07
Well that`s it, i succesfully downgraded!!

:D

I just want to thank everyone who helped me great or small. I can already see that this was a great idea.

Thank you guys~

potatoman
October 21st, 2006, 15:55
That`s weird, the eboot tried to update me to 2.8

?
sorry bout that, the stupid site gave me the wrong file, heed my warning, NEVER TRUST QJ DOWNLOADS!:p

Mr.Denny
October 21st, 2006, 16:13
sorry bout that, the stupid site gave me the wrong file, heed my warning, NEVER TRUST QJ DOWNLOADS!:p

My apologies, it wasn`t your fault actually. Istead i using the file you gave me i tried to update the network via the web. That looked for the lastest firware. :p

potatoman
October 21st, 2006, 16:58
ok, nevermind about what i said about qj then.

Mr.Denny
October 21st, 2006, 18:19
;)

potatoman
October 21st, 2006, 18:54
:rolleyes:

wolfpack
October 21st, 2006, 19:45
umm how come when i try to update to 2.71 on my firmwire 1.5, that no words at all show up to show me info about the firmwire before updating? or when i try to exit, no words dont show up?... i got the file from psp-hacks.com but i now dont know if its safe to update, because i was going to do a fresh new downgrade with the generic downgrader to see if it would fix some freezing issues. but now that i see that no words are showing up on the update, should i just go ahead and press x then right a few times to start it? or should i find another file instead?

M!ckeY
October 21st, 2006, 20:10
@ wolfpack

just update to 2.00 and then downgrade back down to 1.50. I think that method is far more simple. :)

wolfpack
October 21st, 2006, 20:15
i did that, it didnt work, so im deciding to go to 2.71 and back down again with the generic downgrader because it starts a fresh new flash and i think that would work the best but im just experimenting to fix this so if anyone else has any ideas, help!