PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Great Playstation 2 Game

wraggster
March 24th, 2004, 08:39
Like most people i dont want to and really cant afford to waste 40 pounds on games that dont work well or are no where near as good as the reviews some sites give and so to start the PS2 forum off with a bang, i would like to ask you (the visitors) what games can you recommend, it doesnt matter what type of game, from kiddie games to adult stuff.

If you can tell us here ;)

Mat_b
April 13th, 2004, 20:24
Winning eleven 7 or international(not PES3-its no where near as good!) ! well worth 40 notes! + there are lots of patches available so you can customise it to hve all the real kits different music and teams! anyone who prefers fifa to this is an idiot! do yourself a favour and buy this game!!!!!!!

wraggster
April 13th, 2004, 22:08
I played i think it was ProEvolution 3 the other day and was not impressed, it didnt flow as good as i thought it would.

I must try the earlier versions :)

steveola
April 14th, 2004, 19:55
OK, I have quite a few PS2 games, and in my opinion gamers shouldn't miss out on:

Grand Theft Auto 3 (IMO better fun than Vice City)

Ace Combat - Distant Thunder (Just pure graphical loveliness, and plays like a dream)

Gran Turismo 3 (obvious reasons)

Burnout 2 - Point of Impact (The Crash mode makes this game awesome)

Medal Of Honour - Frontline Assault (The best FPS on any console)

Now comes my list of games to avoid:

Metal Gear Solid 2 - nice graphics, but VERY boring gameplay, over-hyped tat !

Soldier of Fortune - The worst PC port I ever saw!

Half Life - The second worst PC port I ever saw !

Final Fantasy X - So repetetive and predicatable it hurts, over-hyped, hours of cut-scene thumb twiddling!

The Getaway - The only fun to be had here is the swearing in the cut-scenes !

There, I hope this helps and feel free to flame me if you disagree *;)

wraggster
April 14th, 2004, 20:18
i love the desert storm games, they are so bloody great but i was wondering if there are any more like them?

DCDayDreamer
April 17th, 2004, 03:38
Can't get enough of Silent Hill (2 and 3 for PS2), roll on SH4.

Haven't played it but Project Zero 2 sounds cool.

Ian_micheal
April 27th, 2004, 15:17
Final fantasy 10 is one of the best games on the ps2.. Boring your kidding. Any ways.

Gta Vice city hands down bets crudy gta3 For one thing gta vice city has the best 80's tunes in the world to listen to.. c64 intro is classic dear to my hart.

I cant beleive any one saying stuff like final fantsy 10 is a bad game i played it 110 hours and was sad when it ended. Story was great enjoyed every bit of it.

Maybe you just dont like great rpg's But after reading that i cant really vaule your opinion not to be mean or any thing because if i listen to you and stoped geting that game i be might angry At ya.

best game on the ps2 is FFX even with the cut scenes removed the game is huge. I only bought a ps2 to play that game.. Now im playing FFX 2 it's not any were near as good as FFX

steveola
April 27th, 2004, 17:41
I can't understand why people are so fanatical about the Final Fantasy games.

I played FFX with an open mind, having never played any of them previously. *maybe I'm missing the point of the game, but that bit where you and your party go down that Loooong road, and get attacked every few paces by the same old monsters just got so boring so quickly (about 45 mins of the same old action), I put the game down and never played it again. * The cut scenes were soooo long too. *If I want to sit and watch video sequences I will watch a DVD! *I dont want to sit through hours of it when I'm in the mood for gaming. *Also the plot was so weak, I ended up not caring what happened to the characters.

The reason I put GTA3 above vice city, is that GTA3 was more forgiving, and gave you more opportunities to carry out stupid stunts with your cars, whereas the maps on Vice City are a little too claustrophobic for my liking. *Gameplay wise though, they are more or less the same game, and I think Rockstar have a right cheek not releasing Vice City as an add-on pack for GTA 3.

::)

At the end of the day, its 'horses for courses', some people like crunchy peanut butter, some like smooth !

Ian_micheal
April 30th, 2004, 15:21
Well the game on most sites is rated a 10/10 ,So i think it's more you never really gave it a chance, 45mins into ff10 is not even started And the cutscenes are long at the start but not after the first bit shows me how long you played it next to nothing. I played it 3 months clocked up 110 hours and loved it, One of *best ps2 game rated as that.
Go look it up. And It really Does not matter, what you like if it's good peanut butter it's good, it dont matter if you like nutts in it or not. 45 mins man you did not even play it. The Story is week Blah! maybe the next 100 hours might of developed it if you gave it more of chance and you do many side quests and lots of bits im not going to spoil.

Gta vice city i would buy if it was a 80's album it has a lots of improvements over the lack luster gta3 which had less things to do less places to explore.

You must be kiding Gta vice city you can jump off paking garages and it has a lot more places to do stunts. Im *Starting to think you, dont really play any of these. There is hand downs more stunt places in GTAVC then GTA3.. GTAVC has a better story, better, cars, more things to do better, music ,better, all round and i dont think it's cheek at all.The Game is just a lot better allround even the grafix are better most reviews will back me up.

30 + 80's number 1 hits make's it one of my fav games close to all time top 10. gta3 Was only fun on the pc when i changed the music to You guess it 80's tunes.

Im guess they tryed it too.. Ive played gta since it's c64 demo I loved how they had the c64 at the start showing some homage to the worlds best 8 bit machine.

lantus
May 20th, 2004, 00:26
Onimusha 3

i can barely put it down

Christuserloeser
May 21st, 2004, 00:16
- R-Type Final (if you like get also these PS1 games: R-Type Delta, G-Darius, Einhänder, ThunderForceV)
- Street Fighter Collection (SF2-SSF2X)
- and there's a new Gradius that's been announced if I remember correctly

krowstrife
June 16th, 2004, 08:27
ok this is an opinion thread i hope

first i love alter echo for ps2 it is so cool you can turn into a frog and a hugmongis (BIG) robut and shoot things and you can slice and dice stuff to and the main character is so sarcstic

fff10 is terrible, i have played every final fantasy and 9 really killed my spirit :'(, but thats not ps2 as for ten i hoped square was going to make up for the pain i endured for nine but no my ounce of hope that the bouncer gave back to me was crushed after playing ff10 the stroy is ****ing wack as hell
main character is a homosexual
then what does square do ffx-2 :'(
they chewed on my spirit with ff10 then flossed with my hope with ff10-2 :'( then they spit in my face why square after my loyatiy for decades
P.S. enix blows

gta is ok but its vastly overated graphics are terrible control is wack but i own both gta3 and gtavc and keep going back for mindless killographic fun

guymelef
June 16th, 2004, 15:54
square has a tendency to do that. *but you have to understand that with a fan base as large as final fantasy you just have to decide which gamers to piss of and which gamers to endear. *personally I hated ff8 and am still loyal to 1,6,7 and 9 was getting better *not much* but yes when I do get a ps2 I will get x x2 and xi. and whatever else they make. *anyway i didn't mean to hijack the thread again but wraggster just buy what your friends didn't. that's what I do then pawn off all your crappy games to them. or buy what they bought and play online with them.

BoneyCork
June 23rd, 2004, 12:31
Ico!
Its short lived, but it is one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.
Its also quite rare.

FFX is also excellent. A great Final fantasy game.
Dont listen to the haters, theyre all FF7 fanboys anyway. You know, the revolutionary RPG that used a stale basic battle system, shouldve been in 2D because the technology didnt allow for 3D looking any better than lego and a story so boring it made Carpet Pile Magazine look like a thrilling page turner.

Luckily, they fixed it for FF8, and after the breif blip that was FF9 it all came out rosy with FF10. ;D

Phantom
June 23rd, 2004, 13:03
PES3

Kamjin
June 23rd, 2004, 15:06
While I've barely put the ps2 to any use.. aside from the main
super hyped games I found these to stand out..
Okage Shadow King.. fun with a good story line..
ICO - really good, but should have been longer.

Cornholio
June 28th, 2004, 09:22
One must definately play Grand Theft Auto 3 and GTA: Vice City, and since you can get them in a double pack, there hasen't been better time to buy them. They are both easily the best PS2 games to be released to date, until of course, GTA: San Andreas, and with all the additional features it has over the other two, it will make the other two look out dated.

If you do get them both, definately play GTA 3 first, cause there's so many more advances on VC that if you play VC first, then go to GTA 3, you'll be wondering where things like motorbikes and knocking off stores have gone.

Resident Evil:CVX is good, but I'm sure you've played the DC version and all your missing is a few cut scenes, which I don't know why they were cut from the original DC version.

Onimusha isn't bad if you like hack n slash adventure games.

Tenchu 3 is great, but for some reason, some cool features that were introduced in Tenchu 2 on the PS1 (such as being able to move bodies to avoid detection) were left out, but otherwise it's a great game if you have the patience to play.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is great, much better than MGS 1. Substance isn't really worth the extra clams unless you want to skateboard with Snake or like to look at heaps of documentation.

hunan821125
July 5th, 2004, 21:10
Ininja ;D big fun and funny roles

hunan821125
July 5th, 2004, 21:12
http://www.gamersshop.co.uk/show_game.php?gameID=1350&mi=93 here is the link

Turtal_H
July 25th, 2004, 19:27
Here's my favorites in each genre....

Rpg: Final Fantasy X, X-2 (sucks a little bit),incoming XII, and Kingdom Hearts.

Action\Adventure: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (a bit short though) , Hitman 3: Contracts and um...... GTA Series (is it considered in action\adventure genre?).

Racing: Definately Gran Turismo 3 & 4 , and Need for Speed: Underground.

Fighting: Soul Calibur 2, Virtual Fighter 4 Evo, and Tekken 4.

Platformer: umm...lets see.......ah ---Beyond Good and Evil, Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azcaban, rayman 3, and ICO (but i think its an RPG).

thats it.

Slaine
August 19th, 2004, 07:34
Got to agree with Iantus on Onimusha 3 and Christuserloeser on R-Type final - both blooming excellent games.

tinku
September 16th, 2004, 20:41
Manhunt........ this game is groseeee.