PDA

View Full Version : composing

Composer
October 22nd, 2006, 18:05
Hi I’m new here and hope I’m writing this in the right place, I’m a small time composer from the south of England, I would love to professionally compose for big budget games, but I have to start small and work my way up so I’d like to start composing for homebrew games first, ideally I’d like to start with GBA as that's nice and small, I will work for free and am friendly, I have qualifications in music and music tech and will composes music and sound effects (e.g. jumping), If I do compose for you and you don’t use any of it I won’t be offended all, if any one is interested in using my services or they think they can help me then please reply or send me an email at [email protected], Please don't Hesitate to contact me, I would very much like to work with some homebrewers, thanks for your time

Mr.Denny
October 22nd, 2006, 18:36
Wow

You could be of major help to a few devs around here.

Also, welcome to Dcemu, have a great stay!. ;)

Composer
October 23rd, 2006, 17:45
Thank you, I haven’t had any replies yet, I really would like to work with you guys, what about you Mr.Denny, anything in the pipe line that could do with a little sound? I’d be more than happy to have a project to work away on

Mr.Denny
October 23rd, 2006, 17:51
I`m afraid i`m not a developer. :(

However, stick around. This thread has gone under the radar so far but i`d say some people are cryng out for an original music composer. And that`s the thing, DCemu is the best place to start for someone like yourself.

Perhaps you could email the developers of some homebrew games?. Look through the PSP news and try and find some homebrew games that could use a compser. Sending out emails can`t hurt and might land you a quick job as well as getting your name around. :)

splodger15
October 23rd, 2006, 18:00
I`m afraid i`m not a developer. :(

However, stick around. This thread has gone under the radar so far but i`d say some people are cryng out for an original music composer. And that`s the thing, DCemu is the best place to start for someone like yourself.

Perhaps you could email the developers of some homebrew games?. Look through the PSP news and try and find some homebrew games that could use a compser. Sending out emails can`t hurt and might land you a quick job as well as getting your name around. :)

Hes right stick around i sure you work will be needed soon

BlackJack23
October 23rd, 2006, 20:11
Some advice:

Create a portfolio of your qualifications, accomplishments etc.
Then provide some like to sample music you have composed.

People always like to have some kind of idea of an artist's work before recruiting them.

ExcruciationX
October 23rd, 2006, 20:27
Cool! You could help some of the homebrew developers with there games!

Composer
October 24th, 2006, 12:13
Thanks for all the advice, I’ll work on some things of versus styles (but keeping to video game structuring and inspiration) and then host them, thanks again

Accordion
October 24th, 2006, 17:38
well i could use your help, i was, and still am trying to create the soundtrack to a clone of Resident Evil 2 for the psp which Jman420, Hardhat, and some other people are currently producing for the PSP.

it must all be original music, and must comply to the resident evil "feel" and atmosphere.
the project is stickied in the psp dev forum. or you can just follow the link in my signature for the thread
- i have only done one complete track, and am currently trying to finish two other work in progress, one of which is in the thread. - im asking for help as i have recently escaped from a very testing stress inducing personal situation and have also started my fine art degree, so am extremly busy.

reply in the project thread please, i hope you can help

DPyro
October 24th, 2006, 17:44
You can probably help with this game PSmonkey is organizing. Check this link (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=254913#post254913) for more info ;)

Accordion
October 24th, 2006, 20:17
hey !
i claimed him first!!!

(only kidding...sort of...)

Composer
October 25th, 2006, 13:07
I do not think I have enough professional time to work on two projects so first come first served, p.s my keyboard is broken because my son poured his drink on it so I’m going to have to get it fixed, so for now I am going to have to compose using eye and mouse only, but this should be much of a problem as I used this method though out most of my music tech courses

Composer
October 25th, 2006, 13:19
I have downloaded the mp3, well done. The "resident evil style" you're referring to is really know as "20th century serious/classical music" and is used in films like Donnie Darko (composed by Michael Andrews, one of my favourite composers) and most horror films to convey tension, some of my favourite peaces are or this style and I used it as part of my A2 music tech course work so this should be familiar ground

Mr.Denny
October 25th, 2006, 13:45
Good to see your getting into composing here already :)

Good luck on the project

Composer
October 25th, 2006, 13:53
After taking your advice from yesterday I took some time last night and have produced some of what I have called logo hits, I don't know if they have a real name but what I mean is when you start a game and the logo of the production company hits/mealts/flys/other random effects on to the screen. There are ten I’ve done here and one variation of one, they are all of a similar style as they are orchestral hits that I have adapted and warped using audio editing software in order to make them have more bass, have a larger stereo field and just sound generally more punchy as well as other effects. I hope you like them, I personal think four, seven and nine are in the 20th century serious style that you requested to day, and they could be adapted into whole pieces if you like. Anyway let me know what you think

They are here - http://www.freewebs.com/sy666/Logo%20hits.zip

Mr.Denny
October 25th, 2006, 14:12
That link goes right back here to page 2 of this thread. :confused:

Composer
October 25th, 2006, 14:29
Copy it then minimise this page then paste it in your address bar and it should work

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 14:38
it because you have a space in the file name

Mr.Denny
October 25th, 2006, 14:43
Oh ok, thanks lads :)

Downloading it now ;)

Mr.Denny
October 25th, 2006, 14:52
It sounds like your using the program "Reason".

Anyway, my favorites would have to be 8, 5, 7, 10 and three. They sound genuine over anything else, like they belong on a logo screen. The kind of logo i`m imagining with most of them is something that appears on screen quickly. Almost like the current Activision logo, not the words gathering but rather the zoom at the end.

Anyways, grea stuff :)

Oops, double post

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 15:06
5 reminds me of REZ

Composer
October 25th, 2006, 15:47
Reason was not used, cool pro edit v2.1 was used mainly as well as cubase sx3 and sibelius 4.1.5, I will work on some slower ones as you suggested when I get the chance (which will probable be tomorrow evening)

Accordion
October 25th, 2006, 17:36
glad you can help, the project is going slowly at the moment , but the team is hoping for at least a test release for christmas(if possible) do what you can, and use the project thread for any correspondence. have a read of the thread if you get time, as there is a good overview of the aims of the project and how it has progressed from an idea to a demo and so on.
i have no formal training so i am very grateful you can join.

jman420
October 25th, 2006, 20:21
lol, accordian boy, I havent even heard from you in months, and your already recruiting other people to MY project!! :P Its great though...

Anyway, Hello "Composer" it would be great if you wanted to assist with music writing.. I am not sure what we're looking for, but the way I have been working on music was a good 20th century classical feel, that also made the listener feel uncomfortable, and creates a feal of anxiety. I am also looking for a piece that sonds pieceful, and repetitive (like Philip Glass' work) maybe not quite as repetitive, but somewhat.. I dont know if you've ever heard the music from Resident Evil 2, but it was the more calm of the musical scores of the Resident Evil series. and by calm, I mean, less scary, and slightly more musical.. if you have WinAmp, you can download the plugin, and the music from the game to listen to if you want.. I can tell you how if your interested.

Anyway, if your interested, I have my Yahoo, and MSN screen names right underneith my name and pic to the left, if you want to contact me..

splodger15
October 25th, 2006, 20:24
Like your new sig Accordian Boy

Composer
October 26th, 2006, 15:58
are you [email protected] or [email protected]?

jman420
October 26th, 2006, 16:59
lol, I didnt post it because I didnt want it up there :p

but it is [email protected], I'm from the US :p

Composer
October 26th, 2006, 17:56
lol, sorry I’ll delete it if you want, well I’ve been composing for the game for just under an hour now and have the begging’s of three pieces, also I have managed to get hold of most of the resident evil 2 pieces from limewire, I seem to be doing ok so far, the pieces still need allot of work and general improvements but there is defiantly something there, most of the original pieces seem to be for specific rooms like the library or main hall, are they and screen shot of rooms or places in the game I could get my hand on for inspiration? Also is there any specific sounds you want incorporated into any of the pieces? e.g. bell towers or clocks on walls for certain rooms or places ......ect

jman420
October 26th, 2006, 18:28
I think so, I can supply images... and sound effects, possably... I'm not sure what we have so far, but I Dont want to releal to much on here, so, can you get an instant messenger? that is usualy the way that I talk with people on the team.

and of course, you can send me music over that rather then posting it on here, and revealing it to the public..