PDA

View Full Version : answers for the ignorant

donestefan
October 23rd, 2006, 20:27
ok...
i'm going to buy a dreamcast soon (it's easily my favorite console) and i want to play older games (nes, snes, genesis, etc.) as well as dreamcast games.
i have a few questions that i would like to clear up before i jump on ebay and order one:
1)does emulation work on all dreamcasts, or just the first generation of the console?
2)i'm don't think there is, but i need to know for sure: is there any danger of damaging my dreamcast by playing emulated games on it?
3) are there any region specific constraints to emulation? (i live in the u.s.)
4)once i have a copy of an emulator designed to run on dreamcast, will just any roms work? (meaning, if i get an snes emulator will any snes roms work, or do i need to download special roms as well?)
5)how exactly do i play emulated games on my dreamcast? do i burn the emulator and roms on the same disc? do i burn the emulator and roms on separate discs and change out the discs at some point? do i do something else entirely?

any info would be great. thanks.

oosername05
October 23rd, 2006, 21:03
I'll help you with what i know...

-- I believe that emulation on the Dreamcast does not have region constraints and since you live in the U.S. you are more likely to get a Dreamcast that was made in the U.S.

-- To start emulating in your dreamcast you have to have the plainfiles downloaded, Roms (not provided in this forums) and selfboot.exe.
>Download http://dcemulation.com/files/emulators/NesterDC.exe
For Nes emulation and has a built-in tutorial thanks to burnerO.<

The Best Damned NesterDC Tutorial Ever Written. by burnerO found in the link above should give you an idea on how to burn emulators.

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 21:42
1_ If you get an american DC, don't get the latest ones (released after 2001). Because you will not run CD's.

2_ No

3_ No

4_ A lot of them. But maybe some games don't work perfectly..

5_ Read the tutorials.