PDA

View Full Version : New to homebrew, planning to purchase these things. Advice?

reaction105
October 24th, 2006, 15:09
I have a DSLite, which id like to mod. After reading through many websites and reviews, ive decided on:

- Passcard 3 or Superkey

- Supercard Lite

Because this combination requires no altering/flashing of the DS itself. Right?

I want to use the DS to watch videos, play music, look at pics, and run various homebew apps (with touchscreen support), including some emulators. I am not interested in running backup NDS games.

Im a little unclear on the connection between the hardware and the homebrew software loaded on it - its my understanding that most media formats (ie .mpeg, .mp3, .mov etc) need to be converted to a different format before they will play on the DS; whilst id prefer not to if possible, i really dont mind.

Which of the Superkey or Passcard 3 do you recommend? What about the Supercard Lite? Im going to pick up an SD card as well, is it suited to what i want to use it for? Or is CF more applicable?

Thanks alot

chemical
October 24th, 2006, 22:18
Yes every normal file needs converting EXCEPT you can play .mp3 music, and i'd recommend doing so, the ds music format is quite fuzzy.

Anyways thats a great choice, you cant go wrong with Passcard 3 or Superkey, and you can't go wrong with Supercard Lite or M3 Lite.

I'd say just go with Lite, the differences are minute if atall and if you have a DS Lite it obviously looks cosmetically better, be prepared to spend a bit on a MicroSD though, go with Sandisk.

And yes, no flashing.

reaction105
October 25th, 2006, 13:24
Exactly the kind of reply i was looking for

thanks alot

:)

chemical
October 25th, 2006, 14:34
No problem, i know how complicated it is to understand everything on your own at first, if it wasn't for this place i'd still be wondering around aimlessly not knowing what to buy ;)