PDA

View Full Version : Bricked PSP Without the Use of a PC

Broadus
October 26th, 2006, 07:52
I'd been using my PSP for months without any problems, and one day, I let some girl play my PSP out of my supervision for, like, thirty minutes. When she brought it back, she told me that she'd broken it after she'd turned it off and later turned it back on. I evaluated it, and it has all of the symptoms of a bricked PSP (green light, screen doesn't activate), but I can't imagine how she would've bricked it, because there was nothing on the memory stick that would mess with the flash memory, and she'd need both a USB cable and an elaborate plan to connect the PSP to a PC and mess with the flash there.
So, if she did have this insane plot to brick my PSP, which she seems totally incapable of doing, then I guess I was screwed, oh well, sucks for me.
However, let's go off the theory that it DID just "brick" without the use of editing the flash, which seems unlikely. Is it possible to have only the green light turn on, but not have the PSP actually activate, exactly like a bricked PSP does, without editing the flash memory?
If you have cold, hard evidence or experience that the answer is "No, only editing the flash memory can brick a PSP," then please post it. If, under the same cold, hard circumstances, the answer is "Yes, that can happen without editing the flash memory," please ALSO post.
If you're just an idiot and you have no idea but you THINK you know the answer and you're going to spout your thoughts as if they were facts, shut up. Don't bother posting.
I don't need anyone commenting on her breaking it. Yeah, I shouldn't trust people that have parole officers with my PSP. Don't waste space by saying "Oh, snap, foo', you done got jacked!" I really don't care. I'm not going to do anything "totally legal" against her. She's a poor gal that lives in a trailer and, even if she wanted to pay for it, which she wouldn't, she couldn't afford it.
I just want to know if a PSP could be bricked, or have all of the symptoms of a bricked PSP, without editing the flash.

I'd simply return it to Sony with the warranty, but I lost the receipt, which they apparently NEED, and I don't think they'll let me trade it for another via warranty without the precious small piece of paper saying when and where I bought it. Like I ever keep those things. Which I don't. Guess it's a lesson well learned.

zidanerick
October 26th, 2006, 09:01
She works for sony and knows u have a DCEmu acct? Or maybe she used to work for Lik Sang and decided to get revenge :D

Sounds like a freak of nature to me and if you cannot find receipt u can always do what this guy did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDs1nWJpng

Good Luck!

splodger15
October 26th, 2006, 09:12
Did it have a umd disc in maybe she was updating and pulled the disc out

gamer06
October 26th, 2006, 09:27
i did it trying to update. i didnt hav the battery in and accidently pulled out the adapter (charger). the light came on and the screen didnt. the light turned off after about 10 seconds. took it bak and exchanged it.

Broadus
October 26th, 2006, 15:25
Well, my PSP was 1.5, and I was emulating 2.71 via DevHook with Star Wars Battlefront 2 inserted, so I can't imagine how she would've been updating (there's no wireless internet nearby, either). Could it have been DevHook, maybe?

Hehe... Do what that guy did to Best Buy? Well, I couldn't afford to buy a brand-new PSP myself, even if it was instant money back...
I'll try one more time with Sony's messed-up warranty. I don't see anything on Limited Warranty saying "You need a small piece of paper with proof-of-purchase". I threw away the box, too. Man, I'm stupid.

SoQb0nc5r
October 26th, 2006, 16:13
moral: girl + psp = end of life

kfish2oo2
October 26th, 2006, 17:28
Well, when you turn off your PSP it reverts back to the 1.5fw. If she did that, then tried to play your 2.71 game, and it started updating, maybe she panicked and poped out the umd. that could be your problem right there.
It really sucks, sorry dude.

Rocksil
October 26th, 2006, 17:54
moral: girl + psp = end of life
your rite about that

Well, when you turn off your PSP it reverts back to the 1.5fw. If she did that, then tried to play your 2.71 game, and it started updating, maybe she panicked and poped out the umd. that could be your problem right there.
It really sucks, sorry dude.

that possible as well

or it could be the devhook and she could of been messing around with the setting of the devhook laucher in the option

at the end it sucks 4 u

Russoxley187
October 26th, 2006, 18:22
thats crazy...
Thats why I always watch my kids like a hawk when I let them get on my psp...

mnuhaily22
October 26th, 2006, 18:39
Maybe you is runnin custom firmware, I seen a lot of people have that problem try to boot up with the hold on so that it goes into recovery mode(only for harleyg's), or mess with the power till it works.

ExcruciationX
October 26th, 2006, 18:44
Huh, that's odd...

Elven6
October 26th, 2006, 23:47
Just a theory but mabye when she was playing she turned it off by accident and when she turned it back on it reverted back to 1.5 and bricked?

LilSwish722
October 27th, 2006, 01:26
no i doubt that would happen...but seriously maybe it reverted back to 1.5 and she started updating with the UMD and removed the disc like that one guy (like that one guy said)

Broadus
October 28th, 2006, 00:41
Wow, the blatant sexism is a refreshing reason as to why I hate some people.
I remember saying how I didn't want people talking about the girl breaking my PSP, and how I didn't care that she did it at all. Guess I never said anything about it.

I wasn't using a custom firmware of any kind. Turning off the PSP in firmware 2.71 doesn't revert it back to 1.5, unless she held the power switch down, though I told her she only had to push it quickly to turn it off. When I handed the PSP to her, SWBF2 was on, and she walked off with it.
According to her, she had turned it off like I told her (the sleep mode way), then later, when she turned it back on, it was as bricked as a chimney.

I thought about a possibility as to why the PSP is broken. It's a very unlikely one.
Sometimes, when I left the PSP turned on and laid it down on my carpet (easiest place to get to it with a USB cable at my crowded desk), the battery would become extremely hot.
The extreme heat might've melted something within the PSP, like the thin glue that holds everything together, so violent motion might've shaken something loose or something like that.
It's a pretty ridiculous theory, though.

It just occured to me that, if I bought the PSP on a credit card or something, I can just get the receipt from the credit card company since I bought the game not so long ago. With the receipt, I should be able to trade it via the limited warranty.
If my PSP can't be traded via warranty, I'll try to take it to a repair shop of some kind to see what they can do about it. If THAT doesn't work, I'll just sell the whole thing as spare parts. I wouldn't get very much for it, as bricked PSPs tend to go for $50-$75 bucks on eBay because of functional parts (sans the bricked motherboard), but it's better than just having a useless brick lying around.

I have another 1.5 PSP (bought it AFTER the first one was bricked), so I'm not in real dismay, but it'd be nice to have two PSPs for the sake of one being 1.5 and one being higher versions to play new games.
Or two 1.5 PSPs for multiplayer homebrew with my siblings or friends.

Gene
October 28th, 2006, 18:04
Wow, the blatant sexism is a refreshing reason as to why I hate some people.
I remember saying how I didn't want people talking about the girl breaking my PSP, and how I didn't care that she did it at all. Guess I never said anything about it.

I wasn't using a custom firmware of any kind. Turning off the PSP in firmware 2.71 doesn't revert it back to 1.5, unless she held the power switch down, though I told her she only had to push it quickly to turn it off. When I handed the PSP to her, SWBF2 was on, and she walked off with it.
According to her, she had turned it off like I told her (the sleep mode way), then later, when she turned it back on, it was as bricked as a chimney.

I thought about a possibility as to why the PSP is broken. It's a very unlikely one.
Sometimes, when I left the PSP turned on and laid it down on my carpet (easiest place to get to it with a USB cable at my crowded desk), the battery would become extremely hot.
The extreme heat might've melted something within the PSP, like the thin glue that holds everything together, so violent motion might've shaken something loose or something like that.
It's a pretty ridiculous theory, though.

It just occured to me that, if I bought the PSP on a credit card or something, I can just get the receipt from the credit card company since I bought the game not so long ago. With the receipt, I should be able to trade it via the limited warranty.
If my PSP can't be traded via warranty, I'll try to take it to a repair shop of some kind to see what they can do about it. If THAT doesn't work, I'll just sell the whole thing as spare parts. I wouldn't get very much for it, as bricked PSPs tend to go for $50-$75 bucks on eBay because of functional parts (sans the bricked motherboard), but it's better than just having a useless brick lying around.

I have another 1.5 PSP (bought it AFTER the first one was bricked), so I'm not in real dismay, but it'd be nice to have two PSPs for the sake of one being 1.5 and one being higher versions to play new games.
Or two 1.5 PSPs for multiplayer homebrew with my siblings or friends.

I am not 100% sure if this is true but, i have read of people whose power buttons had become "worn" and after a certain period of time they would stop working. i dont know if the light was on but if it was you may have gotten the same problem.

BL4Z3D247
October 28th, 2006, 18:13
guys ur forgeting devhook has a flash menu, which is most likely how she bricked ur psp...she was probably trying to exit the damn thing and was going thru everything and when she got to the flash menu...brick
(that is if u have devhook .46)

splodger15
October 28th, 2006, 18:24
i completley that it could have been the flash menu

saward85
October 28th, 2006, 19:28
why don't you ask her how she broke it?

BlackShark
October 29th, 2006, 08:27
She works for sony and knows u have a DCEmu acct? Or maybe she used to work for Lik Sang and decided to get revenge :D

Sounds like a freak of nature to me and if you cannot find receipt u can always do what this guy did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDs1nWJpng

Good Luck!

dude...thats awsome! i should do that if my psp ever brakes!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
November 10th, 2006, 02:17
yeah, when i gave mine to sony, i just used a bank statement

belialone
November 10th, 2006, 11:45
hmm the devhook 0.46 flash thingy sounds quite obvious but i got a different idea you mentioned that your battery was heating up when you placed it on a carpet.
i heard recently about a major issue with sony lio batterys in notebooks.
since sony uses smaller membranes in his batterys to sepperate the chemicals inside the battery to increase the power output theyre having a problem with overheating and it also acured that some went up in flames.
maybe youre the first one to whitness the problem on a psp because its also using a lio battery.
it could build up over the time. did you tried a different battery if not you should.

the you tube guy did the right thing
if you psp bricks buy a new one and return the the brick