PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Profits Up 72%, Sony's Down 94%

wraggster
October 26th, 2006, 21:30
Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/26/1851229)

Gamasutra is reporting on reporting, with financial information from some of the large gaming companies becoming available this week. Nintendo, who had already previously raised projections, saw their profits up 72% over last year. This dramatic increase was credited largely to the DS, with 10.9 million units sold in the first six months of this year alone. Sony, on the other hand, dropped profits by 94% over this time last year. The company attributes this largely to the battery recall and PS3 start-up costs. From the article:

"The company's games division reported a ¥43.5 billion ($366.6m) loss, from a ¥8.2 million ($69,000) profit in 2005, thanks to research and development, manufacturing and marketing costs related to the launch of the PlayStation 3. Sales and operating revenue were down by 20.5 percent to ¥170.3 billion ($1.43bn). A decrease in hardware sales worldwide was attributed to a drop in price for the PlayStation 2 and PSP. Software sales also decreased overall, although individual PSP sales were up on the previous year. Combined profit from the PS2 and PSP business was described as 'relatively unchanged'."

Basil Zero
October 26th, 2006, 21:34
wow, just incredible

my nintendo roots are calling me back...i think their calling me back....to be...a Nintendo Fanboy again.......YES!!!

LAMPRO
October 26th, 2006, 21:35
oh how things will change in a matter of months. sony will be up double that after the initial 6 months of ps3 launch. and nintendo will be wondering what the hell they are thinking with that wierdo wii controller. lol.

mario is having his cake right now, but sony will eat it all soon enough. hahah.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 26th, 2006, 21:42
LOL sony's getting pwned!!!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
October 26th, 2006, 21:45
Nice !!!

BL4Z3D247
October 26th, 2006, 21:47
yeh go NINTENDO!!!!! boooooooo Fony

Shrygue
October 26th, 2006, 22:02
No way! I prefer PSP over DS although I hate Sony when they have to put out those stupid firmware updates with the security patches (unless they're Devhooked, that is).

carlitx
October 26th, 2006, 22:17
holy crap maby the psp would sell more if they lowered prices and embraced the homebrew thing with open arms instead of uping security to prevent it. or have a few downgraders out for people...man sony must be getting stupider by the day lol

Shrygue
October 26th, 2006, 22:39
I totally agree...there hasn't been any price drops in the UK on either the Base or Vaule packs. Not sure about the Giga Pack though. Homebrew is one of the best things about the PSP; in fact probably the greatest. :)

shadowhawk22
October 26th, 2006, 22:47
Guys, what we are seeing is customer relations at its best. Nintendo loves its customers, and really strives to keep their loyal customers loyal. Sony could care less about their customers.

You see how Sony is mean to the homebrew scene, which actually made the PSP so darn popular in the first place. They also forced LikSang to shut down, which sells many sony units to loyal sony customers everywhere. I mean, Sony doesn't care about anything but their bottom line. And in the end, they will lose focus on their customers, and thus go bankrupt. I won't be upset, to be honest, they deserve it.

Goooo Nintendo! Nintendo is flippin awesome, and deserves everyone's business!!

splodger15
October 26th, 2006, 22:49
yeh go NINTENDO!!!!! boooooooo Fony

lol :D

hatebreeder
October 26th, 2006, 22:56
hey anyone want to take a lolerblade ride with me

judas_coach
October 26th, 2006, 23:00
Laugh now, Nintendo fanboys, but guess which company is actually WORTH more? Sony reported large profit losses, but that is partially due to the high profits that Sony regularly takes in. I want to see more figures before anyone can denounce this. I want to see exactly how much Nintendo actually makes in one financial year.

Let me compare some figures: Sony's profit is ¥170.3 billion

Nintendo's profit is..... ¥54.3 billion!!

Shock horror! So to all the Nintendo fanboys that mindlessly rant about "Sony is getting pwned!1" take a look at some basic facts. I would love for someone else to analyze this further with some more figures.

DessyDago
October 26th, 2006, 23:04
Laugh now, Nintendo fanboys, but guess which company is actually WORTH more? Sony reported large profit losses, but that is partially due to the high profits that Sony regularly takes in. I want to see more figures before anyone can denounce this. I want to see exactly how much Nintendo actually makes in one financial year.

Shock horror! So to all the Nintendo fanboys that mindlessly rant about "Sony is getting pwned!1" take a look at some basic facts. I would love for someone else to analyze this further with some more figures.

yes lets, because thats sony's profit over all, that includes gaming. So lets hear your side of the story with its gaming. I could really careless about how much sony makes, its all in the game industry if thats ur point. Also, if your really thinking nintendo is gonna do bad you need to think of something. We're on a sony psp board, that means we somewhat support sony. Think about all the people that don't support sony, and all the people who are gonna do the x360 + wii instead of the ps3. Yes fanboys keep laughing... and where's my damn nintendo tv!

Shrygue
October 26th, 2006, 23:04

Are the figures you just mentioned pre-tax or after-tax?

Oh and just remember that Sony doesn't just make games consoles, they do TVs, radios, digital cameras and etc... Nintendo just makes game consoles and that's about it, as far as I know anyway...

kidSN
October 26th, 2006, 23:13
SHHHHAAAMMMMMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! ...oOo wait hope they dont increase the price on the ps3 ..but shame on you $OLony!! n yes that is a "L" u see! i got a DS lite now..pink! :D ..ok its not my1 but ye...still got psp tho!

jak66
October 26th, 2006, 23:13
Nintendo just makes game consoles and that's about it, as far as I know anyway...
games to go with the consoles...:p

F9zDark
October 27th, 2006, 00:24

Sony does make a ton more money. Not to mention, a while back I did some research on the PSP-DS figures...

In Japan the DS rocked(is rocking) the market, but the PSP owned the DS in the US...

Sony's recent slew of shitty behavior has made me think twice about them, but I wouldn't buy a sub-par console because the company has better ethics, yadda yadda. Any console that can't play DVDs and CDs is not a console that I buying. Long gone are the days of single use consoles and Nintendo WILL HAVE TO embrace this if they wish to gain any more market share than they already have.

emuking
October 27th, 2006, 00:35
nintendo is a gaming company what is there to say,theyre the best :)

the_eternal_dark
October 27th, 2006, 00:58
Sony does make a ton more money. Not to mention, a while back I did some research on the PSP-DS figures...

In Japan the DS rocked(is rocking) the market, but the PSP owned the DS in the US...

Sony's recent slew of shitty behavior has made me think twice about them, but I wouldn't buy a sub-par console because the company has better ethics, yadda yadda. Any console that can't play DVDs and CDs is not a console that I buying. Long gone are the days of single use consoles and Nintendo WILL HAVE TO embrace this if they wish to gain any more market share than they already have.

Since when does a console NEED to play cds or dvds to be a console? Nintendo is about gaming not movies and music. Most likely anyone who buys the console has a dvd player. Most likely it won't play dvd's to thwart pirates from having their way with the system. How long did it take for anyone to burn a Gamecube readable disk? I think Nintendo will still be in the best position for this new gen of consoles, even without dvd support.

Good to see that Sony is losing some of that deep pocket.

judas_coach
October 27th, 2006, 01:10
Of course I understand that Sony makes Electronic goods. But apparently, these analysts are taking into account that fact. The fact that Sony is an allround company that has many branches and brands. Did they take into account that the losses could have been from branches such as Ericsson or Plasma Televisions? Also to note: Nintendo develops and reaps the profits of basically any high-selling game that appears on a Nintendo console. SCE on the other hand, only develops a handful of hit titles (when viewed in comparison to Nintendo titles) as most game sales for the PlayStation platform come from third-party titles.

nintendo is a gaming company what is there to say,theyre the best To the gentleman who wrote this up... how about we draw attention to the previous (or current) generation home console wars. GameCube sales, as of September 30 2006, Nintendo has shipped a total of 21 million Nintendo GameCube units worldwide. Christ, sounds like alot of consoles... right?

Right. That is alot of consoles sold. How about the Sony PlayStation 2? Over 105 million units shipped worldwide by March 31, 2006. Oh... okay! So that means only about five times more PS2s were shipped than Nintendo flagship home console. Even coming third to a new-comer to the home console scene isn't proof enough (Microsoft and the X-Box) for some Nintendo loyalists. But of course, we can't trace the roots of success to merely last generation. We must step back in time for that...

The Nintendo 64 sold 32.93 million systems worldwide. The Sony PlayStation sold over 100 million consoles.... see a pattern here? The handheld market, however is one plagued with loyalty and devotion to the King of handhelds, Nintendo. I myself recently bought a GameBoy micro just to play Final Fantasy IV. But that is getting beside the point.

My point is this; Sony is a huge-profile company with many sub-brands and many costs. Nintendo is a high-profile gaming company that is recognized all over the world. Sony has a stranglehold on the Home Console market. Nintendo has a stranglehold on the handheld market. The title of this article is an illusion used to instill more sorrow in the hearts of a faithful PSP Community. Sony is just another big company that cares for its shareholders first, and customers second. Nintendo has a cult-like following in it's fans, due to the respect and understanding that they receive from the company.

Every corporation has its gains and its losses. Sadly, we are in a community where every negative is used to rub in the face of the recipients fans and customers. I'm all for the console wars. I'm all for brand-loyalty (go RAW!). And I'm all for making fun of the opposition (TNA sucks). But when it comes down to it, we have to face facts and we can't make stupid statements like 'I hate Sony, Sony sucks, Nintendo is the greatest full stop.' We have to look at the facts, think about it, and then make our opinion heard. A knowledged gamer is a good gamer.

Thanks for reading and responding. Always good to hear from people with constructive comments.

F9zDark
October 27th, 2006, 01:12
Since when does a console NEED to play cds or dvds to be a console? Nintendo is about gaming not movies and music. Most likely anyone who buys the console has a dvd player. Most likely it won't play dvd's to thwart pirates from having their way with the system. How long did it take for anyone to burn a Gamecube readable disk? I think Nintendo will still be in the best position for this new gen of consoles, even without dvd support.

Good to see that Sony is losing some of that deep pocket.

Maybe not for you, but I refuse to buy a console that doesn't. I have never bought a DVD player because I bought a PS2. And I was planning on buying a PS3 for the same reason, except in the PS3s case, it would be the answer for all multimedia.

Nintendo will eventually have to jump on this bandwagon and I am surprised that the demographic of places like Tokyo hasn't put Nintendo out of business, where apartments are barely big enough to house one human being, let alone all their extra crap (which is why Japan is the one country who tries to make everything as small as possible), because SPACE is an issue.

As we move foward into the future, more and more people are looking to one source for all their entertainment needs. Nintendo plays up to the kid crowd, which does well for it just about everywhere. But when the Next-Next Gen console comes out in about 5 to 10 years when a single computer or device controls the entire house, Nintendo will be left in the dust with their dinosaur practices.

the_eternal_dark
October 27th, 2006, 02:17
Maybe not for you, but I refuse to buy a console that doesn't. I have never bought a DVD player because I bought a PS2. And I was planning on buying a PS3 for the same reason, except in the PS3s case, it would be the answer for all multimedia.

Nintendo will eventually have to jump on this bandwagon and I am surprised that the demographic of places like Tokyo hasn't put Nintendo out of business, where apartments are barely big enough to house one human being, let alone all their extra crap (which is why Japan is the one country who tries to make everything as small as possible), because SPACE is an issue.

As we move foward into the future, more and more people are looking to one source for all their entertainment needs. Nintendo plays up to the kid crowd, which does well for it just about everywhere. But when the Next-Next Gen console comes out in about 5 to 10 years when a single computer or device controls the entire house, Nintendo will be left in the dust with their dinosaur practices.

Well then, most likely in Japan, many people have either a DVD player or a PS2 for DVDs already, look at the sales numbers. I think Nintendo is making a smart move with it. I know Japan is crowded and very unroomy, but they somehow seem to manage just fine when the next consoles come out. You also have to figure in that not everyone who is buying a Wii will be living in Tokyo. Have you seen how small a dvd player can actually be? Nintendo may also be looking at the fact that people are also buying the other systems as well and since DVD players are cheap, no need to add it to the system and increase the price.

I have one at the house just big enough for DVD's, it's region free, and was very cheap (like 20-30usd), granted it's not the best, but it gets the job done. And what happens when everything goes to HD-DVD in 3-5 years? Including basic DVD capability would be impractical in that respect. And everyone (not really everyone) said DVD wouldn't replace VHS (they were all rednecks too, so i do have to consider that).

You said yourself you are planning on getting a PS3 for multimedia purposes anyway, why would you want a Wii to do the same thing as well?

The affordability of such equipment in 5-10 years to run everything in the house will be too much for the average person to afford.

judas_coach
October 27th, 2006, 03:11
The affordability of such equipment in 5-10 years to run everything in the house will be too much for the average person to afford.
Everything in the house? Was he not just talking about the multimedia needs of the average home? In any case, if you think that Nintendo has never been prone to multimedia aspects in their consoles, look no further than your beloved DS. The "Internet Browser" is a foray into the world of Nintendo + multimedia, no matter how afraid some people are. My friend Thomas, a hardcore Nintendork, states that he buys Nintendo systems for games, not multimedia. I must agree with him there. The PS3 is the opposite of what the Wii is trying to market itself to be. The PS3 is a home-entertainment system. The Wii is a video-gaming system. That's how it is and that's how it should stay.

However, Nintendo chose to further it's venture into Multimedia, with the Opera internet browser for the Wii. Thomas was over joyed when he heard the news and decided to rub it in my face. "Look how modern Nintendo is now, Wii have an internet browser... built it!!1one." Very good, Thomas. Did you know the PS3 has a web browser also? No, he did not, but upon learning this, he stated that Sony copied Nintendo.....

(Please do not turn out like Thomas. He is an ignorant fan boy who presents false accusations backed up by the pathetic comeback "We'll see when it comes out". I hope that not all Nintendo Fanboys are as shallow as Thomas. The Multimedia-hating, Sony-bashing, Nintendogs-playing fool from regional Australia.)

Quick question that is Wii-related; will you grow tire of the novelty value of waving around a controller? Will the public realize that Nintendo's hope for the future is based around a novelty idea? And will this console appeal to the people who really count in the gaming industry: the gamer? I for one, believe that the PS3 has a far greater appeal from a gamer's point of view, but also that the Wii would appeal to me if I were a non-gamer or a casual Nintendo gamer. Like a candy-flavoured cigarette, used to draw common folk and small ethnic children into the world of smoking; will the Wii succeed in it's own right?

fistikuffs
October 27th, 2006, 03:16
All this fanboy shit is amazing! what would the gaming world be like if either of these companies ceased to exist? Either would be a huge huge loss so plz grow up!

F9zDark
October 27th, 2006, 03:36
Everything in the house? Was he not just talking about the multimedia needs of the average home?

Well I was referring to everything in the house. As of now, one can get software that controls lights and what not through out the house, so it wouldn't surprise me if even the toaster could be controlled by a computer sometime in the future, of course I wasn't looking at the price of such things, which will certainly slow down their prevalence.

But to each their own; I like Sony for my reasons, just as others like Nintendo or Microsoft for their reasons. Not that I enjoy reading the "Sony is teh suxors" or "Sony sucks nuts! Wii, Almighty!!!" but there are Sony fanbois out there too who are at the ready to bash anything that isn't Sony.

Chaos_X
October 27th, 2006, 04:02
Everything in the house? Was he not just talking about the multimedia needs of the average home? In any case, if you think that Nintendo has never been prone to multimedia aspects in their consoles, look no further than your beloved DS. The "Internet Browser" is a foray into the world of Nintendo + multimedia, no matter how afraid some people are. My friend Thomas, a hardcore Nintendork, states that he buys Nintendo systems for games, not multimedia. I must agree with him there. The PS3 is the opposite of what the Wii is trying to market itself to be. The PS3 is a home-entertainment system. The Wii is a video-gaming system. That's how it is and that's how it should stay.

However, Nintendo chose to further it's venture into Multimedia, with the Opera internet browser for the Wii. Thomas was over joyed when he heard the news and decided to rub it in my face. "Look how modern Nintendo is now, Wii have an internet browser... built it!!1one." Very good, Thomas. Did you know the PS3 has a web browser also? No, he did not, but upon learning this, he stated that Sony copied Nintendo.....

(Please do not turn out like Thomas. He is an ignorant fan boy who presents false accusations backed up by the pathetic comeback "We'll see when it comes out". I hope that not all Nintendo Fanboys are as shallow as Thomas. The Multimedia-hating, Sony-bashing, Nintendogs-playing fool from regional Australia.)

Quick question that is Wii-related; will you grow tire of the novelty value of waving around a controller? Will the public realize that Nintendo's hope for the future is based around a novelty idea? And will this console appeal to the people who really count in the gaming industry: the gamer? I for one, believe that the PS3 has a far greater appeal from a gamer's point of view, but also that the Wii would appeal to me if I were a non-gamer or a casual Nintendo gamer. Like a candy-flavoured cigarette, used to draw common folk and small ethnic children into the world of smoking; will the Wii succeed in it's own right?

Holy freaking crap dude! I too have a friend named Thomas that is exactly like yours.

But with that out of the way, all I ahev to say is:
Nintendo: Gaming, pure gaming
Sony: Massive Mulitmedia business that impliments that fact into their consoles (and handheld).

I downright hate Sony for reasons beyond comprehension. I've also been a Nintendo fanboy and always will be. The Gamecube - PS2 thing is rediculous. PS2 has good quality games. I love the Budokai games. Gamecube has the smae. SSBM is one of my favorite games ever. Either way, Sony's products to me are for multimedia purposes (hell, homebrew, and web browser all the freakin' way. I hardly play UMDs at all.). I own a DS as well and I can say I've had alot better gaming experience's with it.

Were the heck am I going with this? Deal with it people. I hate Sony but have descency to give them a chance. I love Nintendo but I don't go bashing in the faces of all the Sony fans.

judas_coach
October 27th, 2006, 05:15
Good to know there is more than one Thomas - ignorant cynical Nintendo fanboy in the world! :D

emuking
October 27th, 2006, 07:24
Of course I understand that Sony makes Electronic goods. But apparently, these analysts are taking into account that fact. The fact that Sony is an allround company that has many branches and brands. Did they take into account that the losses could have been from branches such as Ericsson or Plasma Televisions? Also to note: Nintendo develops and reaps the profits of basically any high-selling game that appears on a Nintendo console. SCE on the other hand, only develops a handful of hit titles (when viewed in comparison to Nintendo titles) as most game sales for the PlayStation platform come from third-party titles.

To the gentleman who wrote this up... how about we draw attention to the previous (or current) generation home console wars. GameCube sales, as of September 30 2006, Nintendo has shipped a total of 21 million Nintendo GameCube units worldwide. Christ, sounds like alot of consoles... right?

Right. That is alot of consoles sold. How about the Sony PlayStation 2? Over 105 million units shipped worldwide by March 31, 2006. Oh... okay! So that means only about five times more PS2s were shipped than Nintendo flagship home console. Even coming third to a new-comer to the home console scene isn't proof enough (Microsoft and the X-Box) for some Nintendo loyalists. But of course, we can't trace the roots of success to merely last generation. We must step back in time for that...

The Nintendo 64 sold 32.93 million systems worldwide. The Sony PlayStation sold over 100 million consoles.... see a pattern here? The handheld market, however is one plagued with loyalty and devotion to the King of handhelds, Nintendo. I myself recently bought a GameBoy micro just to play Final Fantasy IV. But that is getting beside the point.

My point is this; Sony is a huge-profile company with many sub-brands and many costs. Nintendo is a high-profile gaming company that is recognized all over the world. Sony has a stranglehold on the Home Console market. Nintendo has a stranglehold on the handheld market. The title of this article is an illusion used to instill more sorrow in the hearts of a faithful PSP Community. Sony is just another big company that cares for its shareholders first, and customers second. Nintendo has a cult-like following in it's fans, due to the respect and understanding that they receive from the company.

Every corporation has its gains and its losses. Sadly, we are in a community where every negative is used to rub in the face of the recipients fans and customers. I'm all for the console wars. I'm all for brand-loyalty (go RAW!). And I'm all for making fun of the opposition (TNA sucks). But when it comes down to it, we have to face facts and we can't make stupid statements like 'I hate Sony, Sony sucks, Nintendo is the greatest full stop.' We have to look at the facts, think about it, and then make our opinion heard. A knowledged gamer is a good gamer.

Thanks for reading and responding. Always good to hear from people with constructive comments.

strange how this completely long and pointless argument fails, i love nintendo and sony consoles,but i guess you would assume i only like one console while in reality i like all next gen consoles :p

MUDD
October 27th, 2006, 07:33
i want to say thank you to judas_coach for helping me understand those crazy numbers ,i was like huh?
someone help me here.

just more i hate sony propaganda to fuel the passion of these children in this lik sang scandal.
WEAK

still haveing a great day ;)
LONG LIVE SONY

ab88
October 27th, 2006, 08:49
Ahh, the fanboys ;)

mnuhaily22
October 27th, 2006, 09:14
All because of homebrew, why did you do it sony, why couldn't you just let it happen, why?!?!?

ShuzzleBuzzle
October 27th, 2006, 10:11
oh how things will change in a matter of months. sony will be up double that after the initial 6 months of ps3 launch. and nintendo will be wondering what the hell they are thinking with that wierdo wii controller. lol.

mario is having his cake right now, but sony will eat it all soon enough. hahah.

Are you kidding me? Sony will be in about the same place next year because they will still be selling consoles at a loss.

Paradok
October 27th, 2006, 13:25
My impression was that the article was talking strictly about gaming divisions, not plasma televisions or anything like that. If SONY's losses came from non-gaming divisions, then I imagine they would have said as much, rather than attributing losses to, "the battery recall and PS3 start-up costs." Considering all of the media appliances and such that SONY sells, I doubt they ever see a total profit loss of anything even approaching 94%. It'd be quite something to see so many different branches of media drop all at once.

As far as making their own games, yes Nintendo makes a lot of their own games, but they still contract development out to smaller companies, so they have their costs too. SONY may not make many of their own games, but they still make monster profits from the liscensing fees they get from third-party game developers (as do Nintendo and Microsoft). They'd have to; otherwise they could never sell their systems below production cost.

GameCube sales, as of September 30 2006, Nintendo has shipped a total of 21 million Nintendo GameCube units worldwide. Christ, sounds like alot of consoles... right?

Right. That is alot of consoles sold. How about the Sony PlayStation 2? Over 105 million units shipped worldwide by March 31, 2006. Oh... okay! So that means only about five times more PS2s were shipped than Nintendo flagship home console.
I have a friend who's on his third PS2, the other ones having died for little or no reason. I have two other friends who are both on their first PS2 consoles, but who are always fighting with them or berating them because they're not working properly. Meanwhile, my little sister jumped on the controller cords for my Gamecube and slammed it hard onto the hardwood floor, popping the top open and launching SSBM out of it. Not only does my Gamecube still work perfectly, but when I set it back up and put the game back in, it was still playing exactly where I'd left it. It waited until I'd completed my current game to give me an error message, and then worked like normal after one restart. I doubt those are exactly standard scenarios, but still, part of the reason Nintendo has lower home console sales is because once you buy a Nintendo console, you will never have to buy that console again in your life. You could take a bat to it and it'd still work.

It's not that SONY doesn't make a profit from their gaming division, it's just in a much shadier way than Nintendo does. Considering that the customer (*gasp*, that's me o_o) and the people working for the benefits of those customers (see: Lik-Sang) are generally the ones on the business end of that shady behaviour, I tend to prefer Nintendo overall. I do love my PSP, but even then, that's only because I use it in a way that SONY really hates, and would like to see stopped. If you took homebrew away from the PSP? God, what would be the point.

Hm, no spellcheck huh? Well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed then. This be my first post here. :)

NovaKane
October 27th, 2006, 19:26
PSX won the console war for its generation
PS2 won the console war the current generation (and isn't dying any time soon)
PS3 will win the console war the next generation.

I'm not a fanboy and I could careless who outsells who. In the end, it's about what YOU like. But yeah, Sony always comes out top as far as consoles.

Makaveli777
October 27th, 2006, 20:10
Man why hate. "Cant we all just get along!!!!" First of all I dont know why its become a national pastime here to hate sony. I realise that when your on top there will be haters but this is rediculous lol. When did it become about just liking a company instead of liking games. I hate sony as a company. BUT I also hate nintendo and microsoft as companies also. Nintendo were always greedy in the past using there own formats so game develpers would have to buy them. To add to that those formats aka cartidges were way more expensive than cd's did nintendo care nope. Microsoft never even attempts to cater to there japanese or just rpg fans. The just bring out shooter after shooter. Sony I dont think is any worse than them its just that when your on top for so long people cant wait for you to fail. Kinda like Michael Jordan, people always want kobe to surpass him....Aint happenin. Anyways I your gonna hate a system make sures its because of the games not because of the company because all companies are corrupt. :D

NovaKane
October 27th, 2006, 20:17
Like Makaveli777 said, it's all about the games in the end. And this is why Sony always comes out top. No matter how much you may hate them as a company, they always have a large variety of games to choose from. There's something for everyone when you buy a PS console. They also have the most exclusives. The $600 price tag is really steep, but the great upcoming games will hopefully make up for it. But until that price goes down, I won't be buying a PS3 myself.

F9zDark
October 27th, 2006, 21:22
And Nintendo not wishing to make their consoles play DVDs and CDs is due to the fact that they want their games on a proprietary medium. And looking at the figures Judas Coach provided, it almost makes perfect sense:

1)Nintendo has a substantially less market prowess as Microsoft and Sony
2)Nintendo only makes games and consoles unlike Microsoft and Sony

What does this mean? If Nintendo ever released a system that utilized a common medium for games (DVD, CD, etc) they would surely go bankrupt because of piracy.

And they'd have nothing to fall back on. They learned from the Dreamcast demise. Sure it sucks for developers but its something that is needed for them to survive.

If gamecube used CDs or DVDs, I gurantee there would be no Nintendo to release the Wii...

mr_nick666
October 27th, 2006, 21:33
And Nintendo not wishing to make their consoles play DVDs and CDs is due to the fact that they want their games on a proprietary medium. And looking at the figures Judas Coach provided, it almost makes perfect sense:

What does this mean? If Nintendo ever released a system that utilized a common medium for games (DVD, CD, etc) they would surely go bankrupt because of piracy.

And they'd have nothing to fall back on. They learned from the Dreamcast demise. Sure it sucks for developers but its something that is needed for them to survive.

If gamecube used CDs or DVDs, I gurantee there would be no Nintendo to release the Wii...

/\ /\ Sage words... :rolleyes: I have a Gamecube and think its great and I WILL be buying a Wii :) PS2 sold alot but its a far inferior console all things considered :eek: Nintendo will release a solidly built console and release some great games for it at a sensible price - I doubt the same will be said for $ony :p Can anyone think of a time where they've thought "Damn I hate Nintendo"? - No? :o I'll bet theres been many times when youve thought "Damn I hate $ony" :rolleyes:

Makaveli777
October 27th, 2006, 22:04
/\ /\ Sage words... :rolleyes: I have a Gamecube and think its great and I WILL be buying a Wii :) PS2 sold alot but its a far inferior console all things considered :eek: Nintendo will release a solidly built console and release some great games for it at a sensible price - I doubt the same will be said for $ony :p Can anyone think of a time where they've thought "Damn I hate Nintendo"? - No? :o I'll bet theres been many times when youve thought "Damn I hate $ony" :rolleyes:

How is the ps2 "far inferior" to gamecube? I know console sells dont necessarily mean a better system but far inferior? If your talking about graphics and processor then yes its inferior. BUT the Wii will have less graphics and processor than both xbox 360 and ps3 and that doesnt make it inferior. Its all about the games yall. Oh and sony's ps2 is at a sensible price right now with great games.

mr_nick666
October 27th, 2006, 22:31
How is the ps2 "far inferior" to gamecube? I know console sells dont necessarily mean a better system but far inferior? If your talking about graphics and processor then yes its inferior. BUT the Wii will have less graphics and processor than both xbox 360 and ps3 and that doesnt make it inferior. Its all about the games yall. Oh and sony's ps2 is at a sensible price right now with great games.

I didnt mean in hardware specifications really just what game producers get out of each machine.. :rolleyes: The same game on the Gamecube as on the PS2 generally looks and plays better! (in my experience :o ).. It all what you get out of the console that matters! :p

MaxSMoke
October 28th, 2006, 01:27
All I hear on this forum is alot of sour grapes about the PSP, mostly because of Sony's continued assaults on Homebrew. I think people here really support Sony, they just like to bitch because Sony has hurt their feelings.

If the PSP and the DS were girls, the PSP would be the hot/bitchy one that's always insulting our clothing. The DS is the nice, but kinda fugly girl you're mom likes. You all might like to complain about the PSP, and talk really nice about the DS, but I know which system you're all taking home at nights. Otherwise, you wouldn't even BE on this website, trolling this forum.

No matter what you think of the company, the PSP is still the best handheld ever made. Period.

F9zDark
October 28th, 2006, 01:42
If the PSP and the DS were girls, the PSP would be the hot/bitchy one that's always insulting our clothing. The DS is the nice, but kinda fugly girl you're mom likes. You all might like to complain about the PSP, and talk really nice about the DS, but I know which system you're all taking home at nights. Otherwise, you wouldn't even BE on this website, trolling this forum.

No matter what you think of the company, the PSP is still the best handheld ever made. Period.

LMAO thats hilarious man.

Yet so true.

TacticalBread
October 28th, 2006, 01:49
Sony's going to regret suing Lik-Sang, and getting there biggest importer shut down, because of their own arrogance and stupididty.

jpolz
October 28th, 2006, 02:14

Hold there Sparky.....

As somebody who's old enough to remember ALL of the previous handhelds, I think claiming it to be the best handheld ever is silly.

Most powerful? Sure....but as we all know, specs don't make a system, games do and the PSP has so far failed to produce ONE "killer app". I spend more time playing emulated games on it them actual UMDs.

There are many portables that I would rank higher than the PSP as far as games go:

-TurboExpress (Played same HuCards as the home console)
-Tapwave Zodiac (Perfect gaming/PDA hybrid)
-Gameboy Advance (SNES to go. Nuff said)

the_eternal_dark
October 28th, 2006, 03:26

Nintendo did use mini DVD's and with the PSO exploit, one could rip a game, then burn it to a mini dvd-r and play it with little to no trouble, which nearly cost them the console for that generation (not like it was a huge chunk of the market at the time any way).

I do agree, the PS3 will be a beast, but Nintendo will be taking a bit more of the market this time around. I'll have both, either immediately or eventually just for the fact the games are all going to be great (MGS4 - PS3, SSBB - Wii). I'm a console fanboy, not just for one company, but I think Sony has their foot in their mouth for right now with their marketing and their prices, among other things.

Paradok
October 28th, 2006, 05:53
Anyways I your gonna hate a system make sures its because of the games not because of the company because all companies are corrupt. :D

"Hate" is a strong word, but any animosity that I do bear towards Sony is because of their hostile practices toward their customers, not their game selection. They present customers with deceptively good deals on hardware, and then use lawsuits and scare tactics to bully vendors and independent developers into restricting content that would otherwise compete with Sony's approved, revenue-generating media selection. I'm sure everyone on this forum has first-hand experience with Sony's firmware "security updates," and unwillingness to allow customers to restore their PSPs to the original conditions under which they were purchased. And it's outside of the realm of gaming, but Sony was also the company that came up with those "copy-protected" music CDs that installed security holes in a person's computer without their knowledge or consent.

Nintendo and Microsoft have their ways of controlling things too, but they either victimize other companies, or whatever they do is presented up front, and covered under the sticker price (like with proprietary formats, for example). Other companies may be corrupt, but Sony, more than any other console manufacturer that I know of, has a history of victimizing their customers. And as a customer, or potential customer, that puts them on my bad side. :P

Veskgar
October 28th, 2006, 18:40
The DS is the nice, but kinda fugly girl you're mom likes. You all might like to complain about the PSP, and talk really nice about the DS, but I know which system you're all taking home at nights.
I don't know, the Black DS Lite I just bought is pretty sharp looking if you ask me. And the LCD can go brighter than the PSP plus it has simulated surround sound. But my DS Lite is more manly looking I think, LOL.

So maybe my PSP and DS Lite have some sort of forbidden Romeo & Juliet type relationship secretly.

the_eternal_dark
October 28th, 2006, 23:38

The DS Lite looks loads better than the fat older DS. DS lite is the hotter slightly younger sister of the homely DS girl you were talking about. The PSP is one that everyone wants to get their hands, even chicks are attracted to her.