PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Formats

wraggster
October 27th, 2006, 18:57
Sony is clearly intent on making the PS3 the all-in-one hub for your home entertainment. A new list of media formats supported by the system right out of the box includes a variety of hard and digital formats, and should satisfy the needs of just about everyone.

The hard media has been known for some time, but here's the full list.

BD-ROM

BD-R

BD-RE

DVD-ROM

DVD-R

DVD-RW

DVD+R

DVD+RW

CD-ROM

CD-R

CD-RW

Super Audio CD

The PS3 will also allow you to access a variety of media file formats from the video, music and photo menus of the Cross Media Bar. We're assuming these files can be stored anywhere, including the hard disk and memory cards.

VIDEO

MPEG-1

MPEG-2 (PS,TS)

H.264/MEPG-4 AVC

MPEG-4 SP

MUSIC

ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3)

AAC (.3gp .mp4)

MP3 (.mp3)

WAV (.wav)

IMAGES

JPEG

GIF

PNG

TIFF

BMP

We'll be sure and put all these formats to the test once (if?) we get our launch units.

Shrygue
October 27th, 2006, 19:21
When it comes to the file formats, they are about the same as the PSP, except the OMA and MSA are new ones. Just I wonder if the PS3 can play back copy protected audio.

jerrt
October 27th, 2006, 21:23
wow, that is quite a list, it might just make a very nice media centerpeice after all. i'm happy. [:

October 27th, 2006, 21:59
wow, that is quite a list, it might just make a very nice media centerpeice after all. i'm happy. [:

Definately, if its going to do all that, then sorted :)

r2works
October 27th, 2006, 22:53
might turn out good for emu's and back-ups.

Adrenalin
October 28th, 2006, 02:29
A strong list. but it is to be expected as PS3's media capabilities have been constantly touted.

i don't forsee soe of these formats as being used much.

JKKDARK
October 28th, 2006, 02:31
it's a lot. Nice list ;)

F9zDark
October 28th, 2006, 02:35
A strong list. but it is to be expected as PS3's media capabilities have been constantly touted.

i don't forsee soe of these formats as being used much.

Better to have it and never use it, than to not have it all.

Not to mention with Linux on the PS3 it will be really easy to get software that will play any type of file in case one isn't on there.

But thats a pretty solid list for the PS3 to support natively. Just wish it had Divx.