PDA

View Full Version : Dark Alex SE-B Overclocking Module v2.1

wraggster
October 30th, 2006, 06:31
Cpasjuste has updated his Overclocking Module for the Dark Alex SE-B release, heres the details:

Dark Alex Custom Firmware SE B Overclocking Module 01

Dark Alex SEB firmware was what we were all waiting for.
Many thanks to him for his hard work.

I wanted to play my games at 333Mhz, i'm sure there will be an option in the future but it's always fun to make it's own work.
So here it is, a module is flashed to flash0 (oc.prx) and a "pspbtcnf_game.txt" file is updated to take care of this.
Only UMD games should use this module since its launched with the 2.71 firmwares files,
homebrews that use 1.50 modules should not use it. (Need confirmation by Dark Alex?)

Anyway its really working, i'v compiled the module to run games at 33Mhz and its was damn slow ...
I will also try to add cpu speed switching in the future.

- To install copy the content of the PSP_ROOT folder to your memory stick then launch as usual.

- ONLY TESTED WITH Dark Alex Custom Firmware SE-B.

- TWO FILES ARE COPIED TO THE FLASH USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Heres whats new:

UPDATED to v2.0

- Ability to choose the speed of the installed module :

333 Mhz (fast but no WIFI in games)
300 Mhz (fast with WIFI WORKING in games)
111 Mhz (Slow but save battery)

- Option to remove the mod added.

Note!
MUST be installed into the PSP\GAME150 folder. If you do not have this folder you will need to create it.

UPDATED to v2.1 by TUW

Same as v2.0 but can go in GAME, GAME150 or GAME271 folder.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Ahmed_p800
October 30th, 2006, 07:13
Thanks....But I think it is 2.0 not 2.1

BL4Z3D247
October 30th, 2006, 07:19
Thanks....But I think it is 2.0 not 2.1
it's the same thing, only this one can go in any GAME folder(GAME, GAME150, GAME271) for convenience

Cristyle
October 30th, 2006, 10:53
the ability to start it from each game-folder is the most important feature :-P *hehe*

edit: uhm the only working folder 4 me is the game150...:P

Veskgar
October 30th, 2006, 14:39
Do any games really NEED to be played at 333 MHz? most games I have tried, even compressed .CSO files play just fine at 222 MHz.

If anyone knows of games that show a noticeable increase in playability once over clocked I'd be interested to know.

Anyway, its cool to see Dark_AleX's custom firmware get such a large following with cool additions.

g00gy
October 30th, 2006, 16:56
Do any games really NEED to be played at 333 MHz? most games I have tried, even compressed .CSO files play just fine at 222 MHz.

If anyone knows of games that show a noticeable increase in playability once over clocked I'd be interested to know.

Anyway, its cool to see Dark_AleX's custom firmware get such a large following with cool additions.

games such as valkyrie, outrun, worms. all have tremandous lag(choppy) for me unless i overclock it to 333mhz

mainly outrun.

Mr. Shizzy
October 30th, 2006, 17:04
Why are we suddenly hosting "warez" ?

SolidSnake5986
October 30th, 2006, 17:24
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems while playing Madden 07 in the new 2.71 SEB, because since I have upgraded to this firmware, I have played Madden 07 three times, and it has froze on me each time a few minutes after starting a game. I can still go back to the XMB Menu by pressing the Home button, but it sucks that I can't even make it to the second quarter without it freezing up. There is nothing wrong with the game and it worked fine on my 1.50 before I upgraded, and it also doesn't work on my friend's 2.71 SEB. I installed the firmware just as I was suppose to, I followed step by step, yet, this problem occurs. Has this happened to anyone else in Madden or any other game for that matter? Perhaps a glitch in the firmware? In any case, this is an awesome upgrade and I would like to thank Dark Alex for making such a great custom firmware! Hopefully he could fix this glitch, that is if it exists.

g00gy
October 30th, 2006, 17:29
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems while playing Madden 07 in the new 2.71 SEB, because since I have upgraded to this firmware, I have played Madden 07 three times, and it has froze on me each time a few minutes after starting a game. I can still go back to the XMB Menu by pressing the Home button, but it sucks that I can't even make it to the second quarter without it freezing up. There is nothing wrong with the game and it worked fine on my 1.50 before I upgraded, and it also doesn't work on my friend's 2.71 SEB. I installed the firmware just as I was suppose to, I followed step by step, yet, this problem occurs. Has this happened to anyone else in Madden or any other game for that matter? Perhaps a glitch in the firmware? In any case, this is an awesome upgrade and I would like to thank Dark Alex for making such a great custom firmware! Hopefully he could fix this glitch, that is if it exists.

yes a similar problem is also happening to my pursuit force and defjam

SolidSnake5986
October 30th, 2006, 17:57
yes a similar problem is also happening to my pursuit force and defjam

So I guess I am not the only one who is experiencing this. Anyone else having the the same problem, because if this is widespread issue, someone should let Dark Alex know before his next release so that he may be able to fix the problem. It's probably something wrong in the coding, hopefully he can fix it. :D

Apoklepz
October 30th, 2006, 18:14
Good to know this is out, but overclocking games can already be done if you have IrShell running.

Veskgar
October 30th, 2006, 18:30
Why are we suddenly hosting "warez" ?
This is not warez.

So I guess I am not the only one who is experiencing this. Anyone else having the the same problem, because if this is widespread issue, someone should let Dark Alex know before his next release so that he may be able to fix the problem. It's probably something wrong in the coding, hopefully he can fix it. :D
Another reason why I think 1.50 firmware is still the best all around. 2.71 SE-B' is pretty outstanding but 1.50 is tried and true.

Shrygue
October 30th, 2006, 19:11
Ability to chance the system clock speed? Ooo, this sounds good! I'm going to download and install it right now and hope not to land up with a brick! :)

Broadus
October 30th, 2006, 19:29
I've been able to do WiFi just fine with 333mhz. In Viewtiful Joe, it wouldn't let me host a game (maybe because I was using DevHook, as it wouldn't let me game share on 222mhz either) but I could still join a game, and I had no troubles at all with Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Mr. Shizzy
October 30th, 2006, 20:04
@Veskar- well 2.71 SE-B is an ISO Loader, IS IT NOT?

thesandman
October 30th, 2006, 20:11
Has anybody tried spectral souls at 333 mhz? That game seems to me the one game I'd really want to be faster.

Veskgar
October 30th, 2006, 21:12
@Veskar- well 2.71 SE-B is an ISO Loader, IS IT NOT?
2.71 SE-B' is a custom firmware. Even if it has certain ISO loading features, we all know that this site does not support illegal ISO pirating. I don't even use 2.71 SE-B' but the only reason it is backed by DCEMU is its homebrew & emulation potential. You can run ISO's on 1.50 firmware also, does that make 1.50 PSP's "warez" ? Warez would be if this site started promoting ISO distribution / downloads.

But I don't want to start an argument or flame war. DCEMU and our community here is better than that. Just wanted to emphasize positive aspects of custom firmware.

Has anybody tried spectral souls at 333 mhz? That game seems to me the one game I'd really want to be faster.
Spectral Souls is more playable when over clocking. It is still annoying to see that "disc access" logo on the bottom right but it doesn't last as long as it would on 222 MHz. It is only because this game can be over clocked and /or backed up to an ISO that I purchased it. So there you go, DevHook and SE-B' can help retail game sales in a sense.

g00gy
October 31st, 2006, 00:34
Spectral Souls is more playable when over clocking. It is still annoying to see that "disc access" logo on the bottom right but it doesn't last as long as it would on 222 MHz. It is only because this game can be over clocked and /or backed up to an ISO that I purchased it. So there you go, DevHook and SE-B' can help retail game sales in a sense.

true but overclocking also helps with game performance not only loading times. no more slowdowns with 333mhz :D

Mr. Shizzy
October 31st, 2006, 07:13
2.71 SE-B' is a custom firmware. Even if it has certain ISO loading features, we all know that this site does not support illegal ISO pirating. I don't even use 2.71 SE-B' but the only reason it is backed by DCEMU is its homebrew & emulation potential. You can run ISO's on 1.50 firmware also, does that make 1.50 PSP's "warez" ? Warez would be if this site started promoting ISO distribution / downloads.

Look, I'm not gonna get too deep into this, but let's clear a few things up. Obviously I realise that 2.71 SE-B is a custom firmware, but the key words you said were:
Even if it has certain ISO loading features. This thing loads ISO's and thats the bottom line. The "1.5" example you gave was poor, because those 1.5 PSP's were manufactured that way. And I have nothing against ISO's or custom firmware. (I personally use both of them) That's not to say that I condone piracy either. I just think lugging around a ton of UMDs, and waiting for 3+ minute loading times sucks.I have the utmost respect for DCemu. This is by far my favorite web site. And because of that I will not bring this topic up again. I just wish they would be more clear about their policys. Someone will get banned for ISO talk one day, and the next, they host an ISO loader on the front page of the news site. I just don't think it's right that the rules can be bypassed sometimes, just because something is too popular not to host. Like I said, this will be my last mention of this. I love this site too much too bicker on it. :)

jak66
October 31st, 2006, 07:25
Good to know this is out, but overclocking games can already be done if you have IrShell running.

IrShell cant overclock games it cant run. This is for overclocking those UMDs/ISOs to remove any lag they may have

STUPID QUESTION: why did they make commercial games that lag when you cant overclock a regular (aka non-hacked/upgraded/2.80+/etc) PSP?

g00gy
October 31st, 2006, 09:37
STUPID QUESTION: why did they make commercial games that lag when you cant overclock a regular (aka non-hacked/upgraded/2.80+/etc) PSP?

so are you saying the umds manufactured by sony have no lag?

GrandMisfit
November 2nd, 2006, 17:26
Spectral Souls and DefJam have been the only games I have come across that are choppy. 333mhz didn't stop the choppy video, but let me test it enough that I actully bought it. See when not getting screwed by paying for bad games and testing a game people go out and buy them.....well some people LOL.

jak66
November 2nd, 2006, 17:32
so are you saying the umds manufactured by sony have no lag?

???when did i say that. what i said was why did they make laggy games. seeing as this overclocks to remove lag, regular non homebrew psp users have to play these game with lag, unless this is actually intended for the other side of 2.71 SE