PDA

View Full Version : I want to start coding

Distortional
October 30th, 2006, 16:27
I have fallen in love with this console. I want to start coding for it. I have a basic understanding of basic languages out there (very basic, as in I can read http and qbasic) ... but I want to start making stuff (small programs, editing existing ones) for this lovely console.

How would I start? What do I need to know? Could I do it?

MikeDX
October 30th, 2006, 16:36
http://www.devkitpro.org

Distortional
October 30th, 2006, 16:42
Ok downloaded it. There's not much it tells you on the site ... how do I start?

MikeDX
October 30th, 2006, 16:51
Right

run devkitpro updater

choose the parts you want (psp development)

let it run

then in your start menu you'll see devkitpro/msys

run that

navigate to /c/devkitpro/devkitpsp/psp/sdk/samples

and test out a few samples :)

Distortional
October 30th, 2006, 17:10
I see, i'll have a look around. Should have done in the first place as there's tutorials up and everything. Sorry dudes.

MikeDX
October 30th, 2006, 17:11
Thats ok, shout me if you need help ;)

potatoman
October 30th, 2006, 19:58
once you are a bit more experienced, try C++ or c# to, they may be hard but are alot more powerful (IMO). if u struggle use visual C++/#

splodger15
October 30th, 2006, 20:34
I think try lua first it is an easy code to learn at first

Distortional
October 30th, 2006, 21:40
At the moment i've gotten into the Cygwin thing with the psptoolchain add on thing. I made a simple "Hello World" program and understand most of it.

I have learnt, programming sucks the life out of you (It's like 9:30 and I want to sleep)
and that I don't understand all the callback things? I was like wha?

I was using these tutorials here (http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/)

splodger15
October 30th, 2006, 21:42
They are good tutorials

As with any code you code in even if you fail at one part of it learn it and try it again just keep trying you will get it in the end

Distortional
October 30th, 2006, 21:46
Yeah it's all good. But I want to understand the callbacks bit. I want to understand every sinlge bit of code i'm putting in. Why it's there ...

splodger15
October 30th, 2006, 21:52
Yaustar is the best person to ask he knows alot in coding

Distortional
October 30th, 2006, 21:55
Thanks :) How would I get hold of this person? Can't really do a callout thread or PM, it's a bit rude.

splodger15
October 30th, 2006, 22:09
post it in the development forum

yaustar
October 30th, 2006, 23:25
http://parabellumgames.no-ip.org/articles/where-to-start-c-programming

If you have literally just started programming, I really recommend you don't use the PSP as your first development platform and switch to PC. However, that is just my recommendation. The problem is not learning the language but learning how to use it and how to program and this can take months to years. This will be even harder if you are using a platform such as the PSP which is relatively restictive, getting code from compiling to PSP to test is a lot longer then doing it on the PC, debugging is even more a chore, basically the amount of time you spend not programming is longer. Just mu opinion though.

Zion
October 30th, 2006, 23:39
I would also like to recommend either lua or python

gunntims0103
October 30th, 2006, 23:39
yea i suggest you do a bit of studying. belive me i made the mistake of making the psp my first development platform and it was doom to failure. I actaully write down all the codes and try to interpret them myself thats how i first started. Not very effective. The best thing is to get a teacher like i did, a coder that will take the time out to teach you code like a good friend of mines did. He refamiliarized the lua laungauge in a way that i could not. The debuging part is definitly a choir, just ask yaustar how many pm's i sent him about fixing problems and bug fixing. Really sorry about that yaustar. Don't let anyone lia to you lua is still hard to learn and your gopnna run into difficulty's. I think we all have. So go back review and study code's. My advise pic up a book on lua coding, good references are Lua programming luangauge for Dummies, Lua coding for Dummies, Or Lua The officail book. All good references. Im picking up a copy of all thses books myself, just for references of coding and to learn new things.

good luck with your coding

yaustar
October 31st, 2006, 00:11
gunntims0103: Don't get those books. Lua isn't established as a widely used language by itself. There are literally 0 jobs for just Lua scripters in the industry (actually there was one IIRC at Rockstar North but the salary was lower then a entry level programmer in C/C++). Lua is a good scripting language for using with engines/games/applications in compiled languages and that's it at present.

If you still want to learn a scripting language then learn Python. It has a much larger range of uses in web development, applications, games and scripting. Better job offers as well.

jairolas
October 31st, 2006, 05:32
relax don't do it, when you wanna cum... tatata

Distortional
October 31st, 2006, 08:29
I see what you mean. So first i'll try to get the hang of simple coding for the PC then if I spend like a year doing that, I can then lok at some of the code again and figure out how to port these things to the PSP.

drEDN4wt
October 31st, 2006, 17:56
try lua on the psp, it doesn't need to be compiled, its basic and using ttlde (notepad editor for lua 1.6 or 1.7) you can write a script and run it in one app.
you dont even need a pc.

mesosade
October 31st, 2006, 18:48
ugh coding...i'll just wait for one of those code generators with a point and click front end lol

potatoman
October 31st, 2006, 20:35
tried it with c mesoade, believe me its a lot more fun and rewarding to learn the language straight up, as im doing now.(used 2 use VB, got boredof the limitations... i like to make things EXACTLY how i like them, VB took too long to understand how to do that. It was good to begin learning, but now... nah. good luck to you distortional and the people in the dev forums are sure to help you if u run into trouble.

Rusty~Razors
November 1st, 2006, 10:53
hey, guys, i'm new too, just wondering.. do you know any good places to learn c?

yaustar
November 1st, 2006, 12:54
http://parabellumgames.no-ip.org/articles/where-to-start-c-programming

If you have literally just started programming, I really recommend you don't use the PSP as your first development platform and switch to PC. However, that is just my recommendation. The problem is not learning the language but learning how to use it and how to program and this can take months to years. This will be even harder if you are using a platform such as the PSP which is relatively restictive, getting code from compiling to PSP to test is a lot longer then doing it on the PC, debugging is even more a chore, basically the amount of time you spend not programming is longer. Just mu opinion though.

cha0ticbliss
November 3rd, 2006, 23:11
Heh.. I also just started coding today. Can't even get "hello world" to work......pathetic

Anyone know what this means?

$ make
psp-gcc -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -L. -L/usr/local/
pspdev/psp/sdk/lib main.c -lpspdebug -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspctrl -lpspsdk
-lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpspnet_apctl -lpspnet_resolver -lpsputility -lpspus
er -lpspkernel -o hello.elf
main.c: In function 'main':
main.c:41: error: syntax error before 'SetupCallbacks'
make: *** [hello.elf] Error 1

^me trying to compile it. I don't know how to fix this problem,

but it may be refering to the syntax of this line

thid = sceKernelCreateThread("update_thread", CallbackThread, 0x11, 0xFA0, 0, 0);

Vendeta
November 4th, 2006, 03:14
Heh.. I also just started coding today. Can't even get "hello world" to work......pathetic

Anyone know what this means?

$ make
psp-gcc -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -L. -L/usr/local/
pspdev/psp/sdk/lib main.c -lpspdebug -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspctrl -lpspsdk
-lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpspnet_apctl -lpspnet_resolver -lpsputility -lpspus
er -lpspkernel -o hello.elf
main.c: In function 'main':
main.c:41: error: syntax error before 'SetupCallbacks'
make: *** [hello.elf] Error 1

^me trying to compile it. I don't know how to fix this problem,

but it may be refering to the syntax of this line

thid = sceKernelCreateThread("update_thread", CallbackThread, 0x11, 0xFA0, 0, 0);

U did that wrong the hello world app is suposta be like this

blue = Color.new(0, 0, 255)
screen:print(200, 130, "Hello World!", blue)
screen.flip()
while true do
screen.waitVblankStart()
end

kk that should help ya... If ur in lua....

splodger15
November 4th, 2006, 10:05
I think he is doing c++

NoQuarter
November 4th, 2006, 10:12
That means you have an error in line 41 of your main file