PDA

View Full Version : New Max Media 4GB harddrive

eviljai
October 31st, 2006, 14:25
i recently bought a DS lite and the Max Media hard drive, after researching in different forums i became very confused and find that it has a bad repupation and was wondering why
to be honest i am a noob and my hard drive hasn't arrive yet so i can't try anything out
please help me with a couple of questions

if i just want to play DS roms do i need to flash my DSL? will the save and wi fi work?? do i need an original ds game to boot some of the roms?

what else do i need to do before i can watch .avi .jpg .mp3 files? again do i need to flash the unit? what about playing SNE roms

if i do flash it, is there any difference when i turn the system on? ex. the health hazard screen, the setting menu etc~

really appreciate if you can help me out
thanks a ton!

sonikku88
October 31st, 2006, 20:51
i recently bought a DS lite and the Max Media hard drive, after researching in different forums i became very confused and find that it has a bad repupation and was wondering why
to be honest i am a noob and my hard drive hasn't arrive yet so i can't try anything out
please help me with a couple of questions

if i just want to play DS roms do i need to flash my DSL? will the save and wi fi work?? do i need an original ds game to boot some of the roms?

what else do i need to do before i can watch .avi .jpg .mp3 files? again do i need to flash the unit? what about playing SNE roms

if i do flash it, is there any difference when i turn the system on? ex. the health hazard screen, the setting menu etc~

really appreciate if you can help me out
thanks a ton!

OK, first off, big mistake for buying the HDD version. Homebrew runs very slowly of it. You should have got the Compact Flash version from www.max.tv. It's faster, plus it's £30 cheaper.

There is no need to flash your DS because the MMP card is all you need.

Next, no talking about DS roms. 'Tis forbidden! :mad:

You can play MP3s and view JPEGs with a program called MoonShell, but you can't play regular video formats. You'll have to convert them to DGP format. A PC program called BatchDPG with do that for you.

Finally, there are two SNES emulators available for MMP: SNESDS and SNEmulDS. SNEmulDS has load and save ability and can load games over 2MB, but does a very poor job in emualting the visuals of SNES games. Everything looks spazzy and could cause a seizure. SNESDS provides better visuals, but lacks the save and load and the running games over 2MB feature.

There you go. Hopefully enough info you get you started. And anyone who disagrees with what I said, please say politely. Don't flame me. X(

Knux896
October 31st, 2006, 23:17
OK, first off, big mistake for buying the HDD version. Homebrew runs very slowly of it. You should have got the Compact Flash version from www.max.tv. It's faster, plus it's £30 cheaper.

There is no need to flash your DS because the MMP card is all you need.

Next, no talking about DS roms. 'Tis forbidden! :mad:

You can play MP3s and view JPEGs with a program called MoonShell, but you can't play regular video formats. You'll have to convert them to DGP format. A PC program called BatchDPG with do that for you.

Finally, there are two SNES emulators available for MMP: SNESDS and SNEmulDS. SNEmulDS has load and save ability and can load games over 2MB, but does a very poor job in emualting the visuals of SNES games. Everything looks spazzy and could cause a seizure. SNESDS provides better visuals, but lacks the save and load and the running games over 2MB feature.

There you go. Hopefully enough info you get you started. And anyone who disagrees with what I said, please say politely. Don't flame me. X(
Just to build upon what you said Sonikku, the latest firmware supports MP3's and a video format developed by Datel called D3V although you still need to use Moonshell for images. You can get the Video converter for the latest firmware at:http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/binaries/MAX_DS_Video_Converter_Setup.zip

Also, SnesDS apparently doesn't work with the 4GB HDD that is included with the Max Media Player (or any other HDD as far as I know) so you have to use SNEmulDS for SNES emulation.

diehard147
October 31st, 2006, 23:26
And there is a 8g memory card also

sonikku88
November 1st, 2006, 00:09
Just to build upon what you said Sonikku, the latest firmware supports MP3's and a video format developed by Datel called D3V although you still need to use Moonshell for images. You can get the Video converter for the latest firmware at:http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/binaries/MAX_DS_Video_Converter_Setup.zip

Yeah, but it sucks compared to MoonShell. =/

The Hombrew Hunter
November 1st, 2006, 02:29
I'll drink to that. Homestar Runner is much better on DPG, DS Mpeg. Which is REALLY what the thingy...is...thing.

*drinks and runs away*

Junixx
November 1st, 2006, 02:49
I'll drink to that. Homestar Runner is much better on DPG, DS Mpeg. Which is REALLY what the thingy...is...thing.

*drinks and runs away*

Wtf?

You should have put it like this: Ds mPeG so people see were DPG comes from :p

-- just a thought lol

kcajblue
November 1st, 2006, 03:02
oh. i always thought it was Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft.
or Dogg Pound Gangsta
lol

eviljai
November 1st, 2006, 06:45
first of all i am very thankful for all of you that replied and you all are being very helpful

actually i just tried the HDD out and become very very disappointed with it so would like to get rid of it and get something else

i want something that's fast, faster than the harddrive, ooo and SMALL preferably don't have anything sticking out (or at least not too much), with about 2GB storage, play Media and homebrews. i don't mind flashing my DS lite. any suggestion?

Blacksand
November 7th, 2006, 11:46
first of all i am very thankful for all of you that replied and you all are being very helpful

actually i just tried the HDD out and become very very disappointed with it so would like to get rid of it and get something else

i want something that's fast, faster than the harddrive, ooo and SMALL preferably don't have anything sticking out (or at least not too much), with about 2GB storage, play Media and homebrews. i don't mind flashing my DS lite. any suggestion?

M3 with Passcard3 and a 2 gig SD Mirco card and you'll be all set.

sonikku88
November 7th, 2006, 22:53
M3 with Passcard3 and a 2 gig SD Mirco card and you'll be all set.

Sorted. :D