PDA

View Full Version : Why is sony being an ahole

diehard147
October 31st, 2006, 23:31
:( I dont why sony is blocking all the homebrew and making gay updates and all this crap please WHY WHY WHY US

Distortional
October 31st, 2006, 23:34
Because what we are doing is illegal

trentasaurus
October 31st, 2006, 23:38

well it doesnt have to be.. thats the point of the origional poster

Lodis
November 1st, 2006, 00:11
Simple, homebrew does not encourage the sale of UMD's or commercial games, there are problems with the legal aspect of running old games in terms of copyright and then you have the problem of emulation GBA, N64 etc.

If Sony were officially supporting homebrew and emulation then you can see potential lawsuits and many legal issues. In short, it is not what they created the portable to do and it would be more trouble for them than it is worth.

JKKDARK
November 1st, 2006, 00:18
Because there are pirates running images of commercial PSP games on older PSP's

carpy
November 1st, 2006, 00:21
Because there are pirates running images of commercial PSP games on older PSP's

Actually, they can be run on ALL psp's now. Even the dreaded TA-082.

Shadowblind
November 1st, 2006, 00:21
Its because Sony dislikes our actual enjoyment of their products. They sell them to make money for themselves. After that they dont give a da** whether or not we like our purchase. as long as we dont return it. Thats why they have a no return policy on some things.

Rusty~Razors
November 1st, 2006, 11:00
HAHAHAHAH!
SOny Flaming!
Well, pesornally, i think it's just because they want something to do, since they obviously aren't spending any time making decent games.

quzar
November 1st, 2006, 12:56

So many people at this site have that mindset and it's absolutely wrong. Nothing that is allowed to be discussed on this site is illegal. Sony makes updates to firmware both to add new features and to help ensure that people don't pirate games (no way to block that without blocking homebrew).

While you may use your psp for illegal activities, playing homebrew games or using homebrew applications on it is completely legal.

Russoxley187
November 1st, 2006, 14:54
I dont understand the whole illegal thing.
I purchased the PSP so I should be allowed to modify as I see fit.
I bought a 2006 F-250, added some 24" Rims, whole mess of speakers, nav system and all kinds of other goodies...
I hope Ford doesn't sue me...
As long as we arent using sony's code or something, it should be free game...( Or downloading illegal ISO's, which I do NOT condone at all)

quzar
November 1st, 2006, 15:16
I dont understand the whole illegal thing.
I purchased the PSP so I should be allowed to modify as I see fit.
I bought a 2006 F-250, added some 24" Rims, whole mess of speakers, nav system and all kinds of other goodies...
I hope Ford doesn't sue me...
As long as we arent using sony's code or something, it should be free game...( Or downloading illegal ISO's, which I do NOT condone at all)

It isn't illegal. Anyone who says that doesn't know what they are talking about. You're analogy is fairly good.

ExcruciationX
November 1st, 2006, 16:37
No it's not, it's not anything stolen from Sony. Sony just wishes it was illegal.

Axelius
November 1st, 2006, 18:25
Simple, homebrew does not encourage the sale of UMD's or commercial games, there are problems with the legal aspect of running old games in terms of copyright and then you have the problem of emulation GBA, N64 etc.

If Sony were officially supporting homebrew and emulation then you can see potential lawsuits and many legal issues. In short, it is not what they created the portable to do and it would be more trouble for them than it is worth.

Oh well, why don't we just try suing Microsoft because they don't do anything against "evil" emulators and so on.

splodger15
November 1st, 2006, 21:49
Sony release updates to stop bricker trojans on the psp and also security updates

NoQuarter
November 1st, 2006, 22:02
Also sony is following a carefully scripted plan using the firmware updates as fuel for sales.New features=new customers.As well as increased sales of memory sticks given the fact older firmware can't recognize above 4 Gig

Distortional
November 1st, 2006, 22:08
So many people at this site have that mindset and it's absolutely wrong. Nothing that is allowed to be discussed on this site is illegal. Sony makes updates to firmware both to add new features and to help ensure that people don't pirate games (no way to block that without blocking homebrew).

While you may use your psp for illegal activities, playing homebrew games or using homebrew applications on it is completely legal.

Ok, Roms ... illegal. End of. So there's that. Isn't there a like massive thing going on about flashing old firmwares anyway? I swear that's illegal too.

EDIT: I'm not too sure. I can see what you guys are saying. But all the roms run by the emulators ... illegal. There's not debating that. Not even if you "delete it in 24 hours" or "own the original game". It's just the same as ISO's. The ISO's some people download are games are they not? They are a form of rom are they not? As are all the super nintendo games you people download (yes, even super mario world) ... they're just the same.

NoQuarter
November 1st, 2006, 22:11
Roms...
Not illegal if you own the game.
Besides some old games are just plain not available anymore,especially those with licensing conflicts

SSaxdude
November 1st, 2006, 22:14
Homebrew is illegal because it uses exploits that break copyprotected code. But on 1.0 I guess it isn't.

Distortional
November 1st, 2006, 22:15
Roms...
Not illegal if you own the game.
Besides some old games are just plain not available anymore,especially those with licensing conflicts

They are illegal if you own the game. Who said you could copy it? Same with CD's? You're actually not allowed to make copies etc. Though I think there's an issue with the law at the moment, but only very recently.
Doesn't matter if they're not available. I mean there's one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands ... they didn't release it so I couldn't buy it. They still own the copyright. And I just want you people to understand, ISO's ... same as roms. Super mario world, same as an ISO for GTA:VCS.

NoQuarter
November 1st, 2006, 22:19
Back ups and music you have paid for fall under fair use laws.
A good point to look at is apple's itune.It's been cracked but noone is gonna get sued or inprisioned because of fair use laws

This very discussion is just an example of why GPL rocks!!!
It's the future.

Distortional
November 1st, 2006, 22:26
Back ups and music you have paid for fall under fair use laws.
A good point to look at is apple's itune.It's been cracked but noone is gonna get sued or inprisioned because of fair use laws

This very discussion is just an example of why GPL rocks!!!
It's the future.

Ok backups for *personal* use I agree with ... other than that ...

Actually, people do get sued and their computers seized.

NoQuarter
November 1st, 2006, 22:30
your right, sure they get sued and thier compurters siezed.
Just not for backing up their own media,or using it on multiple devices.
The problem comes in when people share products whose licsenses are currently enforced.
That's when the legal action happens.

Once again we should all support open source and GPL because of these things.
Money can still be made using the GPL, companies just need to rethink thier business models.

Distortional
November 1st, 2006, 22:34
Ok, yeah fair enough.

Now you haven't said anything about the PSP ISO's (roms) being the exactly the same as snes roms. They're both under copyright, and yet you claim to not talk about anything illegal here?

NoQuarter
November 1st, 2006, 22:38
The reason I think there is no iso discussion allowed, is because this is a current gen system.I believe the owners do not want to incur the legal wrath of sony.
I honestly love being able to play my old games,besides no directions on where to find roms are available here.
Anyone engaging in such discussion is warned or banned.

Distortional
November 1st, 2006, 22:41
The reason I think there is no iso discussion allowed, is because this is a current gen system.I believe the owners do not want to incur the legal wrath of sony.
I honestly love being able to play my old games,besides no directions on where to find roms are available here.
Anyone engaging in such discussion is warned or banned.

I get what you mean. But you do understand what i'm saying. Right? I just find it weird you're not allowed to talk about one thing thats illegal, but you are allowed to talk about another thing that's also illegal.

NoQuarter
November 1st, 2006, 22:45
Well technically I don't think iso's are illegal, nor are roms.It's the sharing of them that is.

Distortional
November 1st, 2006, 22:48
True. I just find it funny :P

diehard147
November 1st, 2006, 23:37
This is bull $hit Homebrew is the only thing that psp is staying alive DUMBA$$ SONY

quzar
November 2nd, 2006, 03:19
locked for stupidity.