PDA

View Full Version : What is kernel Access?

Axelius
November 1st, 2006, 18:37
Everybody is saying something like "We can't make homebrew for 2.8 and above because we don't have kernel access."
But now I wonder what kernel access actally is? Can somebody please tell me?

one winged angel
November 1st, 2006, 20:14
kernal acces is psp inner hardware like the me (media engine) but it is possible to run homebrew just in user mode but you cant acces me flash etc the gta hack for 2.01-2.6 is only in user mode you only can downgrade because here is VERY little kernal acces hopes this helps

Tinnus
November 1st, 2006, 22:12
Kernel MODE access is just what it means, being abe to access Kernel Mode.

Kernel Mode is a special mode to run the CPU in which you have special provileges, in the case of the PSP, doing stuff like using the ME and writing to the flash memory.

Having homebrew in 2.8 has nothing to do with kernel mode either... it has to do with no one finding a good exploit in the firmware (ie: a security hole that enables us to run programs not signed by Sony)

Axelius
November 2nd, 2006, 09:43
Thanks for this information:)

mesosade
November 2nd, 2006, 10:01
i wonder if daedulus will use media engine...

chrono75
November 4th, 2006, 00:34
My 1.5 runs SNES games way better than my 2.6 did and thats cause it was in Kernal Mode :)

kando
November 4th, 2006, 00:38
they did find an exploit....they found the tiff exploit....but even though sony didnt know the tiff exploit was there, 2.80 still has extra security to stop kernal stuff and flash access :(