PDA

View Full Version : DCLinux Problems

kgenthe
February 19th, 2005, 19:39
Well after three days of finally figuring out how to make a bootable CDR... I got linux sorta working. However, I cannot get passed this screen:

http://www.m17n.org/linux-sh/images/dcss01.png

I use "root" as the username and a blank password, then it starts loading... but then the screen freezes with no response from the keyboard/controller. And instead of some sorta of windows-like GUI, there is a white outlined square in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Details of what I am using.

the image from http://www.dchomebrew.org/linuxdc.shtml

using my tv instead of VGA... official Sega DC keyboard and regular gamepad.

any ideas?

kgenthe
February 19th, 2005, 19:51
Ok, I have found that if I use "startx" instead of "xdm" it loads just fine. Also, I was under the impression that the DC gamepad could be used as a "mouse" (I don't have a dreamcast mouse)?

OmegaDog
February 27th, 2005, 02:58
Yeah, as far as I know, there's no driver for the X mouse cursor to move via gamepad analogue motion.

A couple years back, one of my friends did SOMETHING whereby he was able to control the X mouse cursor in DCLinux with another friend's computer's mouse, through a network (I've got a BBA on my DC) -- but I don't know how he did it. I haven't fooled around in Linux too much.

kgenthe
March 8th, 2005, 23:17
Too bad there doesn't seem to be more development for DC Linux. I mean, the system is kind of weak... but there are things you can do. It supports a microphone, mem cards (could be used for storage), VGA (which should be able to be programmed to support higher resolutions), keyboard, mouse, broadband, modem, and serial port. I', certainly interested in getting more out of my DC in the future. I use my xbox as as a full blown media center (streaming music and vids off the net, plus all the MP3s and movies on my home network).

It just seems as DC Linux should be much better than *this*

OmegaDog
March 9th, 2005, 01:22
Well, it probably can be. It just depends on whether or not the required level of effort matches the current level of interest. [For the record, I'd be someone who'd be interested!]

Do keep in mind that there are restrictions the DC has that the XBox doesn't though -- such as no HD (and low storage space on VMUs), much less RAM, & low availability of the broadband adapter. Otherwise, though, it's all a matter of having interested folks to start on the creation of another DCLinux ISO.

In the meantime, though -- there are a lot of standalone apps here that do some awesome stuff. You might be able to at least compile them onto one disc, complete with menu, with Selfboot Inducer.

Darksaviour69
March 9th, 2005, 12:35
the main problem is storage, Linux is a OS designed to run with the HD (for readin and writeing), the dreamcast just does not have this, it only has it RAM (everything is loading in to memory) and the VMU are no help because 1. they working different to a HD and 2. they only hold only 1 mb