PDA

View Full Version : Metareview - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

wraggster
November 2nd, 2006, 17:15
Via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/01/metareview-grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories/)

We said it before, and we'll say it again: Grand Theft Auto is stale. But we can't knock the hustle. Rockstar has settled into a niche that continues to sell. Why change?

Some critics' thoughts:

1UP (90/100) - "The empire-building facet, though reminiscent of purchasing businesses in the first Vice City, is quite significant ... The other additions aren't nearly as significant, but they are welcome ... [but] some serious series flaws stubbornly refuse to budge, a fact that grows harder to ignore with each passing entry ... It's a shame Rockstar chose not to fix obvious flaws that have been called out repeatedly, but the weight of the total experience more than counterbalances this disappointment".

Game Informer (second opinion) (82.5/100) - "I've pimped, extorted, and murdered my way to the top so many times now, the thrill of criminal indulgence has finally begun to fade. This is more of the same from the franchise, with a few more serious themes thrown in. But if you've already drunk your fill of the free-roaming gangbuster cup, then this mix is going to taste a little stale."

GamePro (75/100) - "[It's] a big shame that lot of that personality has gone missing ... the characters and dialogue don't have the same snap nor does the game exhibit the same goofy and utterly loveable 80's style. Instead, the game is gritty and dull to a fault ... Vice City Stories retains the same problems that plagued past titles. The auto-aim function doesn't work well, the AI isn't particularly smart, and some missions are completed more through trial and error than anything else."
Current overall average: 87/100

benn
November 2nd, 2006, 17:46
90+82.5+75 = 82.5 avg not 87, surely?

believe it or not i never played GTA on PSP last time round. can someone let me know if this is better, worse or same. otherwise i might just give it a miss altogether.

Vega
November 2nd, 2006, 17:56
meh... you'll get a different answer from everyone on that question.. some love it.. some think its ok.. and some hate it.

I myself was a huge Vice City fan back on PS2, so this game..by default.. was something I really wanted to play. I like it.. cool scenary.. some funny humor on the radio stations.. tho the missions leave alot to be desired.

Really.. make your own mind up. If you were never a huge GTA fan... then this wont be something that will turn you into one... But .. IMO... a very nice handheld game.

Basil Zero
November 2nd, 2006, 20:09
i bet the majority would give it a B score lol

Ci5tm Konfliqt
November 2nd, 2006, 21:52
out tommorow !!for us uk folk any how :)

uneekracer
November 2nd, 2006, 23:46
not that much of a care to the game played it too many times

Adrenalin
November 3rd, 2006, 08:13
Yeah, GTA is old, overused and now boring!

Vega
November 3rd, 2006, 12:06
Im surprised no one has talked about the Land Development parts in this game. I think its great... and definitly a huge hint to whats to come in GTA IV. Although its as simple as picking what company and what size your building is in VCS.. I could see a full development side mission in GTA IV, where you contruct a good sized part of the city. Your own little empire! Mwahaha!
But yea.. very suprised it hasnt came up yet.

mnuhaily22
November 3rd, 2006, 12:11
I give it a 10/10 with the cheat device 2.0a going on.