PDA

View Full Version : PSP: 2.71 SE-A/SE-B/SE-B'/SE-B'' VSH & Game Overclocking Module

kando
November 3rd, 2006, 19:43
BEFORE INSTALLING THIS I SUGGEST REMOVING ANY OTHER OC.PRX OR OVERCLOCKING MOD INSTALLED ALREADY ON YOUR PSP TO AVOID A PARTIAL BRICK

VSH AND GAME OVERCLOCKING MOD V0.6

It also allows for, get this, Online Play at 333mhz, and to get that to work, do the following:

If your going to host or join a game, turn the CPU down to 222mhz, and let the WiFi Connection be made, and then one a wifi connection is made, turn the CPU back up to 333mhz. This has been tested With VCS so far, and it works flawlessly, so dont shoot the messenger.

If the game goes funny with wifi when trying to connect at 222mhz, knock the CPU speed down to 133mhz and everything should be fine, and then clock back up to the desired speed.

IMPROVEMENTS
----------------------------

24-BIT Blitting - So much better than the last one, and will display the current clock for around 1 second, and pause the game whilst doing this.

Every CPU speed - we now have 333, 266, 222, 133 CPU speeds

START+SELECT to Change Speed - START+SELECT will cycle through the speeds it should go down the Speeds then when it hits 133mhz go back to 333mhz on the next cycle.

Known Issues:

Ari: "Splinter Cell and Ridge Racer won't boot up with this, at any clock speed. GTA still works fine, though. That's all I tested."
Nikolaos: "i have tried it myself and have found that socom does not work at all online using any cpu speed."

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Vega
November 3rd, 2006, 19:47
Nice, tho I was lead to believe that playing online with 333mhz can damage the WiFi card. I would be wary!
Yet... good release.

V3N0M
November 3rd, 2006, 19:52
Nice, tho I was lead to believe that playing online with 333mhz can damage the WiFi card. I would be wary!
Yet... good release.

Not damage. But it wont work with wifi at 333mhz. But you can overclock it at 300mhz and it will work with wifi. To clear things up its not even really overclocking, The psp was made to run at 333mhz it was actualy underclocked by sony to 222mhz to save power.

kando
November 3rd, 2006, 19:55
It also allows for, get this, Online Play at 333mhz, and to get that to work, do the following:

If your going to host or join a game, turn the CPU down to 222mhz, and let the WiFi Connection be made, and then one a wifi connection is made, turn the CPU back up to 333mhz. This has been tested With VCS so far, and it works flawlessly, so dont shoot the messenger.

If the game goes funny with wifi when trying to connect at 222mhz, knock the CPU speed down to 133mhz and everything should be fine, and then clock back up to the desired speed.

:P

Vega
November 3rd, 2006, 20:04
Yea Im currently clocking at 300mhz to play online. Well if I get enough convincing information that it wont damage the WiFi Card.. then I'll go for it.

BTW.. not saying your information isn't informative, JmanUmmKay, its just I'm a little bitch when it comes to anything threatening my PSP.

jak66
November 3rd, 2006, 20:15
it was actualy underclocked by sony to 222mhz to save power.

does that mean if sony left the clockspeed at 333mhz, wifi would work at 333mhz?

V3N0M
November 3rd, 2006, 21:02
does that mean if sony left the clockspeed at 333mhz, wifi would work at 333mhz?

No because the games right now run at 222mhz. There not meant to run at 333mhz and what I mean by that is the game developers purposely designed those games to run at 222mhz. So that’s why there were some issues with running them with wifi at 333mhz. But I guess someone has figured out a way to run them with wifi at 333mhz. I think once some bigger batteries had come out, Sony would start designing their games to run at 333mhz. But thanx to homebrew development we can unlock the PSP true potential.

Vega
November 3rd, 2006, 21:12
Could be a bold statement.... but maybe Sony are gonna' make us dip into our pockets again to buy a battery upgrade to allow PS3 - PSP connectivity.. thats why 333mhz is currently locked ligitimatly. Then again.. I could be talking complete balls.

scarph
November 4th, 2006, 00:29
thanks a bunch for this
my gta vcs is so slowwww
assuming this is the first in game OC app in 2.71 se-b i applaude you

I hated having to change clock speed out of game menu, reflashing every time

GOOOOOOD WORK

Defx6669
November 4th, 2006, 00:30
Does this only work while in a game? Or can i use this in the xmb while listenining to music to save up some power?

scarph
November 4th, 2006, 00:31
you can use either
works better out of game actually

kando
November 4th, 2006, 00:35
@Rbman: been workin fine for me...try uninstalling it and trying it again?

@Defx6669: the overclock module is loaded on XMB load, as well as while playing a game. each time tho, the clock speed will be defaulted to 222mhz, so if you set your xmb to 333 and start a game, it will be 222...just select+start it to 333 :)

333 in xmb makes photos load faster, flash (swf) apps/games/movies run faster, homebrew list loads faster, and *cough* gameboots used as icons actually sync with the sound :)

333 in game makes things run smoother, less delays, a bit faster loading...

however your battery will go faster either way. have fun :)

scarph
November 4th, 2006, 01:05
hey kando do you think it makes file transfer via usb faster?

kando
November 4th, 2006, 01:09
i have a built in memory stick reader in my laptop, so i have no reason to try :)

but if someone does, pls share your findings :D

the_eternal_dark
November 4th, 2006, 01:13
Finally, an oc method that is usable all the way around for 2.71SE B

Ari
November 4th, 2006, 01:16
Splinter Cell and Ridge Racer won't boot up with this, at any clock speed. GTA still works fine, though. That's all I tested. So I uninstalled... Splinter Cell works fine now. Hopefully SE-C will have a built in OC module, though.

kando
November 4th, 2006, 01:18
Splinter Cell and Ridge Racer won't boot up with this, at any clock speed. GTA still works fine, though. That's all I tested. So I uninstalled... Splinter Cell works fine now. Hopefully SE-C will have a built in OC module, though.

are those UMD's or....erm...backups? ~_^

Rbman
November 4th, 2006, 01:32
clocked at 333, gta vcs freezes up after a few minutes, and this is on my backup, ill try umd now

EDIT: just checked umd and it freezes at same spot

it was my first time playing it off the umd, god is it slow

it freezes during a mission, btw

Ari
November 4th, 2006, 03:02
are those UMD's or....erm...backups? ~_^they're UMDs. I don't pirate games.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
November 4th, 2006, 07:31
Ridge racer 2 hangs on loading screen too :( wont work removed the mod and its fine now :).MMM i can see this revission of the mod causing some problems.

ep0ch
November 4th, 2006, 11:57
This is cool. Is it possible to add an auto overclocking feature? I.e. when ac power is connected automatically run at 333mhz and when just running off battery run at 222mhz? would be the business if it could :)

Shrygue
November 4th, 2006, 14:48
I'll be trying out this new revision of the clock speed module right now.

Veskgar
November 4th, 2006, 15:57
This is definitely a step in the right direction. Being able to play games over WiFi at 266MHz & 300MHz would be a great feature of 2.71 SE firmware.

It is true that the PSP was designed for 333 MHz and SONY underclocked it. I bet a future firmware update & some major new game like Gran Turismo 4 Mobile will "officially" utilize 333 Mhz.

Vega
November 4th, 2006, 16:25
This is definitely a step in the right direction. Being able to play games over WiFi at 266MHz & 300MHz would be a great feature of 2.71 SE firmware.

It is true that the PSP was designed for 333 MHz and SONY underclocked it. I bet a future firmware update & some major new game like Gran Turismo 4 Mobile will "officially" utilize 333 Mhz.

Im almost sure that one of the past updates allowed 300hmz play with wifi on SE-B

Nikolaos
November 5th, 2006, 03:38
unfortunatly i find this mod very unstable so far, some games do not funcion via wifi using any cpu speed after mod is installed. and also i have heard of many bricks due to this. i have tried it myself and have found that socom does not work at all online using any cpu speed. keep up the work tho, always room for improvement.

kando
November 5th, 2006, 03:49
Splinter Cell and Ridge Racer won't boot up with this, at any clock speed. GTA still works fine, though. That's all I tested.

will be passing this along to the coder. TY ari!