PDA

View Full Version : Clean re-install

Miles_OBrien
November 8th, 2006, 15:45
Hi

I have just bought a used Japanese import
original 1.5 PSP (not downgraded).

I am struggling with all the information
on the web abt 2.71SE-B, firmware, kernel etc.

I just want to enjoy my PSP and find out more about it.

Much appreciated if someone can help in the following:
What is?
a) Homebrew
b) DevHook
c) Firmware
d) Kernel
e) Bricked
f) 2.71SE-B3

How do I find out (apart from the System Information icon)?
a) What is installed on my PSP (Homebrew/devhook etc)

How do I do a CLEAN-INSTALL?
a) How to re-install original system files on PSP
b) How to install Homebrew and/or devhook
c) Where to obtain latest homebrew/devhook
d) Do I need both homebrew/devhook?
e) Do I need 2.71SE-B3
f) How do I install 2.71SE-B3

I have a IMAC, would there be problems installing the above?

It would be great, if (like a car mechanic restoring a classic),
I can say for myself, yep, I built this PSP baby all myself from scratch!
- So to speak in terms of the software side anyway!

Thks All!

Miles_OBrien
November 8th, 2006, 15:46
Hi

What is?
a) Homebrew
b) DevHook
c) Firmware
d) Kernel
e) Bricked
f) 2.71SE-B3

e) Do I need 2.71SE-B3

Thks All!

steve-b
November 8th, 2006, 15:55
homebrew is home made software. not commercially made.
devhook is a homebrew application that emulates different psp firmwares.
firmware is the psp software. the menu for loading games, looking at pictures, etc. consider that the firmware.
kernal is the inner workings of the firmware.
bricked means your firmware has become corrupted somehow and the psp no longer runs the main menu or anything else.
2.71 se is a homebrew firmware that has all the good parts of firmware 1.50 (homebrew loading from the main menu) and also all the extra features that come with firmware 2.71.

splodger15
November 8th, 2006, 16:10
If you bought a psp at a 1.5 it doesnt need at clean install

S34MU5
November 8th, 2006, 16:52
Jeepers!

What is?
a) Homebrew: applications made by people like homebrew games and apps.
b) DevHook: a program that emulates higher firmwware than 1,5 up to 2.71
c) Firmware: what version your psp is sony release new firmware to ruin your PSP's homebrew compabilies. DONT updte firmware
d) Kernel: not quite sure
e) Bricked: your psp is Fcuked all it dose is like the power light flashes. Its only use is a brick. for building house. or throwing.
f) 2.71SE-B:firmware 2.71 with homebrew compatabilies, its okay not as good as 1.5

How do I find out (apart from the System Information icon)?: goto Game on your psp then memory stick. or put it on usb and goto PSP/GAME
it may not have any

a) How to re-install original system files on PSP:downgrade to 1.0 and upgrade to 1.5 for firmware. (you wont need to though) to delete stuff off your mem stick go to format mem stick
b) How to install Homebrew and/or devhook. download it and put the 2 folders 1 with a % at the end and one without, into PSP/GAME
c) Where to obtain latest homebrew/devhook:here or PSP-hacks.com for devhooko
d) Do I need both homebrew/devhook? depends what you wana do, but probably, you dont need them but there all good:)
e) Do I need 2.71SE-B: NO
f) How do I install 2.71SE-B3: dunno. if your quite new, stay at 1.5

I dont know, doubt it

There ya Go! S34MU5

the_eternal_dark
November 8th, 2006, 18:18
Hi

What is?
a) Homebrew
b) DevHook
c) Firmware
d) Kernel
e) Bricked
f) 2.71SE-B3

e) Do I need 2.71SE-B3

Thks All!

A. Homebrew is the best thing about the PSP. User created games and applications that make the PSP fun/better.
B. Devhook is an awsome firmware emulation tool that can emulate every firmware up to 2.71. If you made a mistake and updated to 2.71, the have a devhook capable of emulating 1.5 so you can still play your homebrew if you aren't comfortable with downgrading.
C. Firmware is basically the OS of you PSP. Without it (or if it is corrupted) you would have a dud (brick).
D. Kernels are system files associated with firmware that homebrew programs/games use to take advantage of the PSP hardware and software. 1.5 and 2.71SE-B3 have the most kernel access of any firmware (aside from 1.0, but not many people use it).
E. Bricked is a term used to describe the functionality of a PSP after a botched update/downgrade. It is when the firmware files are written incorrectly, thus the PSP can't technically make sense of the files and won't run properly, if at all.
F. 2.71SE-B3 is one of the best firmwares available. It runs all games up to 2.71 firmware requirements as well as a few 2.8 games. It has the capability to run basically every kind of homebrew for every firmware 2.71 to 1.5. It also has a recovery option incase you don't like it or mess up something in a firmware mod (you have to thank dark_alex for this). psp-hacks.com has an installer for first time users who have no idea what they are doing. It is in the downloads section.

A. To reinstall you system files, you can do a few things: 1. Upgrade to a downgradeable firmware, such as 2.0 or 2.71, then run a downgrader to get to 1.5, thus installing a "clean" firmware, which in your case would result in your system files returning to normal.
B. For 1.5, you really only need to download your homebrew (inluding devhook) and copy the folders (example - homebrew and homebrew%) straight to your memorystick under psp in the game directory (you'll see this when it is connected to your computer). Very rarely you'll have to use kxploit (this creates the folders needed for 1.5, if it doesn't have a % folder).
C. You can get homebrew from here www.psp-news.dcemu.co.uk and just scroll down until you see the list of PSP games and apps on the left hand side of the page. Psp-hacks.com has the newest devhook.
D. You don't need either, but they make the experience more fun. Devhook is only used if you want to play the newer games without updating. Homebrew is the only reason to have 1.5fw.
E. You don't need it, but it sure beats using devhook to surf the net with your PSP, plus it has some cool features, such as web browser, 1.5 capability, and something you can't talk about here. F. There is an installer available at psp-hacks.com that will load your memory stick so the only thing you have to do is run the update, from then on its straight forward. Then you will need to run the SE-B3 patcher (it patches some compatability issues with newer games (2.8 games)) after installing. It is offered at psp-hacks.com as well, you just copy the folder SE-B3 to your memory stick under PSP->GAME150 and then run the patcher by pushing X on the psp.

As with any program, there may be some compatability issues with programs developed for Windows XP that may not run in OSX. But I can dump the contents of my memorystick (the actual installer and patches) and send it to you if you'd like to ease the install process. I'll write up a quick readme along with the stuff I send so that you can run your own update and "build" your own PSP.

Just email me if you need anything, and I'll send it as soon as I can when I get home from work tonight. The files I'll be sending will work regardless the operating system of your computer. My email address is [email protected].

Miles_OBrien
November 9th, 2006, 08:04
Thks Steve-b.

This is where I get lost - is devhook same as 2.71se?
If so, which is best to install or can u install both?

Miles_OBrien
November 9th, 2006, 08:24
Thks guys for the detail answers!

I have emailed u The_External_Dark, cheers!

steve-b
November 9th, 2006, 08:49
no, devhook is an application that lets you run regular 2.71 without replacing 1.50 firmware.

2.71se would replace the 1.50 firmware.

I run the 1.50 with devhook to let me play newer games.

I'm just used to 1.50. I guess for a beginner, 2.71se would be the best since it does everything 1.50 does plus a little bit more.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
November 9th, 2006, 18:04
u should install 2.71 se, and you wont have to worry about devhook or all that stuff. DO NOT GET CONFUSED WITH REGULAR 2.71! homebrew games are games that you can put on your memory stick, they are free. sony doesnt like them, so they block access to homebrew with newer firmwares (thats why you will come to know and hate sony)

the_eternal_dark
November 9th, 2006, 18:49
Thks guys for the detail answers!

I have emailed u The_External_Dark, cheers!

K, I'll have you set up when I get off work today.

Zion
November 9th, 2006, 18:56
Locked, dont start two threads asking the same thing please