PDA

View Full Version : DCaSTaway Beta-Two

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
[br]New beta release of Atari-ST emulator for Dreamcast.[br][br]- Patch keyboard/joystick interrupt (a lot of new games runs ok).[br]- Brightness correct.[br]- Mouse bug fixed.[br]- Optional vertical synch.[br]- 60/50 Hz selection (only PAL).[br]- Better sound.[br]- ST-Border render.[br]- Show/Hide virtual keyboard.[br]- X button map a ST-key under Virtual Keyboard.[br]- Filemanager show large file names.[br][br][br]Download at DCaSTaway Homepage (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/dcastaway.shtml) [br]

[Modified 11/20/04 22:06:53 by DCEmu_Newsposter]

wraggster
November 21st, 2004, 03:00
Excellent Release :)

qw3rty
November 21st, 2004, 04:30
Great news ! :D

I just tested the new version :

Mouse-emulation :
The mouse doesn't move off the screen anymore, but the "auto-fire-bug" is still present in the new version - maybe even worse.
The speed of the mouse is too fast for some games (e.g. I have a hard time hitting the items in "Oil Imperium")

VSync :
If V-Sync is activated, the emulation stutters every 5 seconds.
The emulation gets a little jerky without v-sync regularly too, but it's not as worse without v-sync.
V-sync on 60Hz refresh rate makes the ST run 17% faster (compare the music with vsync activated and without) - I don't know if this was the case on the real system...

I'll test the new emu some more - THANKS CHUI :D

wraggster
November 21st, 2004, 04:33
thanks for posting your bug reports ;)

pang1978
November 21st, 2004, 04:43
nice work :D

thanks chui

chui
November 21st, 2004, 08:19
Mouse-emulation :
The mouse doesn't move off the screen anymore, but the "auto-fire-bug" is still present in the new version - maybe even worse.
The speed of the mouse is too fast for some games (e.g. I have a hard time hitting the items in "Oil Imperium")

Auto-Fire? When? What game?
Keyboard/Joystick interrupt need a new patch for next release. Also mouse slow down.

VSync :
If V-Sync is activated, the emulation stutters every 5 seconds.
The emulation gets a little jerky without v-sync regularly too, but it's not as worse without v-sync.
V-sync on 60Hz refresh rate makes the ST run 17% faster (compare the music with vsync activated and without) - I don't know if this was the case on the real system...

It's difficult synchronize 50Hz ST games with 60Hz Dreamcast, need a little delay, i have to think a better method.
Music shutter sometimes because no threaded likes UAE4ALL, next release music emulation run a new thread.

fil
November 21st, 2004, 10:44
one thing could do with is a tos selector for more compatibility

:P

chokito
November 21st, 2004, 12:33
How does the virtual keyboard work in this release? It would be nice if "real" keyboard users could hide the on-screen one.

chui
November 21st, 2004, 12:43
if you not press L-Trigger, never show virtual keyboard.

Real DC-keyboard would work always.

oggy
November 21st, 2004, 15:17
Hi, first off good job :)

how did you map a st key with x button ?

chui
November 21st, 2004, 15:58
Yes, if you press X button under virtual keyboard, this ST-key is mapped with X button, so X-button = ST-key you want.
Also you can reset to default (joystick up for jumping) entering main menu.

oggy
November 21st, 2004, 16:15
hey that's a cool features ! why not map other button with this technique ? I mean something like this:
right trigger+ A,B,X,Y ( each button = a different key )

and left trigger = use/disable keyboard

qw3rty
November 22nd, 2004, 02:35
Auto-Fire? When? What game?
Keyboard/Joystick interrupt need a new patch for next release. Also mouse slow down.

It's difficult synchronize 50Hz ST games with 60Hz Dreamcast, need a little delay, i have to think a better method.
Music shutter sometimes because no threaded likes UAE4ALL, next release music emulation run a new thread.

The "Auto-Fire"-Bug is present in many games, but also in GEM (I noticed in GEM and "Oil Imperium")

with stuttering, I meant, that the whole emu stops for a short time - graphics & sound, not just the music

arqueiro
November 22nd, 2004, 06:10
chui, nice work ! i was waiting for this !

thanks !

fil
November 22nd, 2004, 09:59
problem i am having is where the controls stick, happens on treasure island dizzy, magic pockets, and a few other games ive tried so far

could also do with a 'force60hz and force50hz' option, as the current refresh rate and vsync settings arent solid, theres still stuttering no matter what settings are used

in file manager, doesnt remember position, for putting in say disk 2, you have to navigate all down the list again

and sometimes it doesnt put them in alphabetical order, some disks beginning with A, are scattered down and at the bottom

+ could do with been able to hold down fast scroll, rather than have to keep tapping right

sound samples also in games dont seem to be working, only the bleeping part of the sound chip is emulated?

otherwise a very nice usable release *;)

arqueiro
November 23rd, 2004, 04:58
just quoting a bug from dcemulation:

:cry: BYE, i have tested the beta 2 of this fantastic emulator, but i find a great bug, wich take great problem of playability in more games.

For example, in R-TYPE ,if i take always push the button of fire, active AUTOFIRE, but don't move the directional control.

And this problem in others games, the directional control don't work propertly.

:| excuse me for me poor english i'm italian ;) bye

DARKGATE
November 25th, 2004, 10:24
:-/ :'( CHUI, why don't make a BETA TWO ALPHA 1 for setting the bug of directional control with fire button?

I can't wait for more of one month for a new version :'( your emulator is fantastic, :) .
P.S. i'm new in this FORUM :D bye at all

Valky
November 26th, 2004, 06:29
Is it just me or has anyone else get Giana Sisters and Speedball 2 working with this new release? Other games seem to work.
I am usin sbi version.

fil
November 26th, 2004, 08:01
speedball 2 works fine for me

i dont use atari st for giana sisters, as it has flick screen scrolling, i use c64 emulator for dc, frodo, as giana sisters is much better on the c64

oggy
November 26th, 2004, 11:28
some games don't load if they are zipped and load fine unziped

DARKGATE
November 27th, 2004, 18:22
::) bye boys, i have tested a lot of games, with problems at the directional control or problem of autofire.

R-TYPE (problem to move)
DRAGON BREED (problem to move)
DRAGONS OF FLAME (problem to move, and CRASH if you select menu system when play)
CYBERNOID II ( don't shoot)
PACLAND (THE FIRE BUTTON, when push, pac man jump always)
SAVAGE (don't shoot)
BARBARIAN 2 (PALACE) (problem to fire button, and move)
LAST NINJA 3 (don't work)
NINJAWARRIORS (afther wich you put the 3° disk the game don't start)
SUPER HANG ON (when you play, the game crash)
ENDURO RACER (problem to move)
SPACE HARRIER (freeze game at the game title)
AFTER BURNER (freeze)
METAL MUTANT (crash the emulator)
------------------------------------------------------------
at the moment i have see this problems, but i update for next days :)

chui
November 28th, 2004, 15:15
thanks, i will test these games for patching interruput control.

fil
November 29th, 2004, 16:33
chui, dont forget treasure island dizzy & magic pockets too

as i posted on page one

chui
December 1st, 2004, 10:49
Ok! Thanks a lot!

ron
December 1st, 2004, 11:42
Anyway most of games runs OK . Try to use original Dreamcast mouse & keyboard and many problems are solved in a fine way. :D

guyTHP
December 2nd, 2004, 16:45
I need to get a mouse to test games like shuffle puck cafe, captain blood & vroom properly ;)

I think this version is great! a lot of the st / msa images I have work (not great, but then I remember the days of getting a rainbow TOS ST and finding programs didn't work on that.. I won't mention my upgrade to an *STE *:P).

Brilliant work, man!

Now I'm gonna burna disc with some ST demos on to see what works... dark side of the spoon? *:D

oggy
December 18th, 2004, 03:48
here's my finding :

atomic robot kid : works fine
lemmings : freeze on title menu > get back to dcastway menu
altered beast : freeze during game + control problem
buggy boy : ok
last duel : ok
dragon ninja : works but major slowdown
thunderhawk : don't load
darkman : control problem
pirate : reset to desktop
James bond : spy who loved : ok
Zak mc cracken : reset to desktop
lotus esprit challenge : ok
monty python's .. : works without sound
turrican 2 : works but some control pb and sound glitches

DARKGATE
December 18th, 2004, 07:17
;) other games problems
MISSION ELEVATOR (problem to control movements)
BLACK TIGER (problem to control pad)
DELIVERANCE (Dont' work fire button)
DOMINATOR (PROBLEM TO CONTROL THE SPACESHIP, go always to left)
X-OUT (problem to control pad)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THAT' S ALL for now :)
p.s. more games work fine in beta ONE and don't have those problems to control
for example :DELIVERANCE, BLACK TIGER, MISSION ELEVATOR, work fine in BETA ONE.
P.S.. the sound DIGITALIZED dont' work, GAUNTLET 1 AND 2 are all mute.

DARKGATE
December 18th, 2004, 07:24
;D I have push the button post, first of end :P.
I prey for a XMAS version, with problems control resolve :| .

p.p.s :( i think wich for xmas we had nothing (no genesis plus, no pc engine, no nes, no neo geo cd, neo geo pocket emulators) :'( :'( :'( :'(.

sigh!!! (excuse me for me poor english boys, i am a man of sicily) :D.

chui
December 19th, 2004, 05:38
For xmas, neo4all first alpha release and fenix pack2

ron
January 8th, 2005, 04:20
Try with Tos 1.4 UK

Valky
January 9th, 2005, 11:29
I think the issues with some games not working in B2 that worked fine in B1, might have something to do with joystick port 2.

I have noticed that some two player games that we played fine with beta 1 are now unplayable.

These are Nitro
(works great if you play alone, but with two players the cars go just completely crazy when game starts),

Super Cars 2
(same as Nitro, in two player mode cars go crazy as soon as the game starts),

Speedball 2
(worked fine with B1, but it actually doesn't go further from intro screen anymore and I guess it's related to the fact that you had to push joystick port 2 in this screen to get the game start)

law56ker
January 15th, 2005, 13:39
chui may i ask when we can anticipate another update?

obelisk
January 25th, 2005, 20:42
i'm fooling a bit w/ this emu, quite nice, so far, just have to figure out how to make disk imgs better.

DARKGATE
February 5th, 2005, 14:24
??? :'( but chui is diseappear?

News? Chui back to home :D here in forum.

scrabbus
March 16th, 2005, 23:16
OK...May I direct you all to NEW DCASTAWAY, I too have found that some games do not respond and the mouse is a little fiddley

scrabbus
March 17th, 2005, 16:34
Ok, I had a little play around with Beta two, its ok but the autofire IS still there, some games no longer work, as the abovepost stated speedball 2 just will not work, has anyone else found this? Also I was wondering if there was ANY way possible to save games, because many of my favourite games rewuire you to save at one point or another and this irked me slightly in beta 1 as you cant save at all, Other than that though this is a VERY, VERY fine piece of coding so hats off to ron and chui