PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Homebrew Question

sonikku88
November 12th, 2006, 22:26
Hi. I'm unfamiliar with PS2 homebrew, which is the nice way of saying I'm a noob. :p

I was wondering if it is possible run PS2 homebrew using the Action Replay MAX for PS2.

Cloudentine
November 14th, 2006, 04:57
nope, i've tried can. You can only run PGen

sonikku88
November 14th, 2006, 10:54
nope, i've tried can. You can only run PGen

Is that the built-in Genesis emulator?

Tesseract
December 19th, 2006, 05:33
PGen is the Genesis Emulator that's packaged with the AR Max, yes.

The reason the AR Max is mentioned so often is not that it allows you to RUN homebrew. It DOES allow you to plant an exploit onto your PS2 memory card that can, in turn, allow your PS2 is freedom.

To create the exploit, you can use a 'PS2 Independence Exploit Builder' (which can be found on this site, I believe.) You'll need a genuine PSX game to set up the proper 'trigger'. Don't worry.... the builder is really simple to walk through.

The output is a file format that the AR Max can read as a crushed memory card save. Using a USB Flash Drive is the best way to transfer the file, though there are other ways to do so.

Before you fire up AR Max, make sure you delete the 'Your System Configuration' file from your PS2 memory card, or this might cause some problems.

start up AR Max and go through the motions of putting that save on your memory card using the Flash Drive plugged into your PS2. (Use 'Uncrush', not just 'Copy').

Once that's been done, shutdown your console and load the chosen PSX 'trigger disc' into the tray. The screen will flash white, and you'll be dumped into your chosen loader (what you told the Exploit builder to use as BOOT.ELF).

Your PS2 has now been opened up for your exploration!

Napalm-Death
December 24th, 2006, 17:36
Does this work with any version of AR Max, and do I need to go through this process every time? Thanks. >_>

Tesseract
December 26th, 2006, 07:03
Yeah... all EVO does is actually GIVE you a 16MB USB flash drive in the package. Not worth the extra $20.

Once you've got the save file put together, you can easily copy it to another card or back to your flash drive/Hard drive using the File Explorer on uLaunchELF.