PDA

View Full Version : [TIP] Save 260KB off of your Flash0 by disabling internet browser!

kando
November 14th, 2006, 05:22
hey all, ran across this because i was tired of backgrounds and gameboots not flashing, and i dont use my internet browser...

use PSPFiler to browse your flash0, and remove (or backup, as i did) htmlviewer.gim....when you try to go into the internet browser on ur xmb, it will simply do nothing :) and now u got tons of extra room to put your previously "just too big" gameboot or flash your backgrounds!

cheers!
-kando

splodger15
November 14th, 2006, 16:27
Not something i would do, anyway good find

kando
November 14th, 2006, 19:34
im hoping someone creates a "2.71 SE Lite" program, with options to remove/readd features like internet browser resource files, rss, location free, picture sharing...

anyone up for it? :)

mavsman4457
November 14th, 2006, 20:08
That's actually a really good idea that could make Sony's new firmwares good.

Anger
November 14th, 2006, 20:22
a very good idea and very implementable. however the vshell would still have all the entries (like say the browser icon would still be there etc.) because as yet we cant code a compatible vshell (to my knowledge).
i dont know what the technical limitations of creating a vshell are but it must be hard for noone to have released one yet. the ones who i think were closest were the 0x89 guys - i believe they had a working vshell interface.

splodger15
November 14th, 2006, 20:31
mavsman4457 i have some gran turismo tracks in my game

Tetris999
November 15th, 2006, 00:45
What type of proggy lets u flash files to your flash ???

kando
November 15th, 2006, 00:59
a very good idea and very implementable. however the vshell would still have all the entries (like say the browser icon would still be there etc.) because as yet we cant code a compatible vshell (to my knowledge).

aye, this is simply a removal of the files used...removal of the actual icons would be amazingly hard, although renaming them or simply rendering them un-usable like the network update disable option wouldn't be too hard, if someone could figure it out :)

btw you can remove all the html files in the vsh resource folder (except the plugin.rco its only 34 bytes :P), and if u dont use location free player, u can delete the LFTV resource files as well to save additional space :)

scarph
November 15th, 2006, 01:40
bricker for sure
like im sure it has a chance to partial brick
make sure you have recov mode

mavsman4457
November 16th, 2006, 00:21
mavsman4457 i have some gran turismo tracks in my game

YES!!! You are the best. Anything to give it a feel of the real Gran Turismo's is awesome. I still haven't even played your original Turismo game though because my PSP is being modded. I can't wait till I get that back so I can play some GT.

Edit: I just thought of a great idea splodger. You should have that annoying background music that plays in Gran Turismo when you're not actually racing, hahahaha. That would be awesome.

kando
November 16th, 2006, 00:23
bricker for sure
like im sure it has a chance to partial brick
make sure you have recov mode

any self respecting dcemu member knows your a kid, you give false information, and you are immature.

thus, nobody listens to you.

:)

mavsman4457
November 16th, 2006, 01:12
any self respecting dcemu member knows your a kid, you give false information, and you are immature.

thus, nobody listens to you.

:)

Hahaha, especially considering the fact that he puts his high school graduation year in his username.

S34MU5
November 16th, 2006, 09:25
I thought that would work. I would do that if i has 2,71se but i dont so ill just flash my 1.5

Tetris999
November 17th, 2006, 00:32
it wouldnt be something I WOULD do... and why would be that because theres always a crack in something removing the internet browser is one of em if it was removed there would be some major system crashes because the file could not be "found" unfortunately this would cause what we say a brick. we have seen this with flashing some fonts

i think the network update being removed it somethin to show that it is harmless but even i dont recommend that, seriously do you go into your windows file (OS: windows xp) and delete the stuff in there to save some space?besides what should we stuff more into the psp the mods are only like 2kbs to 100kb in size y'know and the psp has a 32mb NAND flash

kando
November 17th, 2006, 04:55
it wouldnt be something I WOULD do... and why would be that because theres always a crack in something removing the internet browser is one of em if it was removed there would be some major system crashes because the file could not be "found" unfortunately this would cause what we say a brick. we have seen this with flashing some fonts

i think the network update being removed it somethin to show that it is harmless but even i dont recommend that, seriously do you go into your windows file (OS: windows xp) and delete the stuff in there to save some space?besides what should we stuff more into the psp the mods are only like 2kbs to 100kb in size y'know and the psp has a 32mb NAND flash

aye but u only have like 800kb after 2.71 SE-B'' is installed...the beautiful thing about this is u can always restore anything u delete through psp filer.

but there is no major system crash. i have been playing w/ the psp w/ no internet browser, no rss resouces, no location free tv and no stock mp3 player and my psp functions normally on all other aspects.

but worse case, if it does screw up the system, it is just as easy to put the files back.

hell today i replace my topmenu_plugin w/ one from a 1.00 firmware and bricked through pspfiler. magically tho i unbricked by putting back the original :O

THIS IS NOT FOR USE FOR KIDS OR THOSE WITH LACK OF INSIGHT TO FIX THEIR OWN MISTAKES. IF YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO BACK UP WHAT U DELETE OR TO KEEP A DUMP ON YOUR COMPUTER DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR FLASH0.

S34MU5
November 17th, 2006, 11:37
Can someone link PSPfiler?
also how much is the psp flash memory,? 32mb?
this could be interesting. :)

kando
November 17th, 2006, 12:05
its not hard to find pspfiler...google it and ull probably find it on dl.qj.net

and yea i think its like 31.8 megs if im not mistaken...once u get into flash0, try to flash a huge file into flash0...however many bytes transfer is how much room u got left...idk if pspfiler will let u flash something too big, if so, use uflash to flash backgrounds, just make em huge, and whatever can be flashed will be...just check the amt and thats ur free space :)

of course go in and delete it and reflash the original :D

you should always have a dump on ur PC also just in case. helpful tip.

one more helpful tip: rename the pspfiler folder into /RECOVERY/ so u can run it from there :)

and last tip - if ur using pspfiler, best to use a 32mb card, so it doesnt take 5 minutes for it to read all the folders on ur homebrew stick :)

S34MU5
November 17th, 2006, 12:27
and yea i think its like 31.8 megs if im not mistaken...once u get into flash0, try to flash a huge file into flash0...however many bytes transfer is how much room u got left...idk if pspfiler will let u flash something too big, if so, use uflash to flash backgrounds, just make em huge, and whatever can be flashed will be
Im not a complete n00b :)
just lazy
but play with my flash alot.

jak66
November 17th, 2006, 14:03
and last tip - if ur using pspfiler, best to use a 32mb card, so it doesnt take 5 minutes for it to read all the folders on ur homebrew stick :)

Sounds to me like your using pspfiler 1.5, which reads every file on every drive each time you access it, well if you use latest version, which is 1.8, it only reads the files when you open the folder there in,saving you a lot of time

EDIT: Well slap me with a tuna and call me Jesus. it seems that version 1.8 isnt the latest version as 3 days ago version 1.9 was released,heres the website link (http://www.geocities.jp/mediumgauge/)and heres the translation (WARNING! google translation)
The filer version 1.9 for PSP is.
The file can be verified in ○ tree condition.
Attribute of the ○ file can be modified.
○ Japanese appears.
It can play back ○wav and mp3.
Contents of the ○ text file can be verified.
Contents of the ○ binary file can be verified.
The contents of ○BMP, JPEG and the PNG file can be verified.
You can verify & can compile also ○ flash memory.
Also it can modify ○ file name.

Last renewal past record (as for renewal past record of the time before this)

NoQuarter
November 17th, 2006, 14:08
That's awesome kando,are you knowledgeable about the chottoshot prx.If so would you care to share?

kando
November 17th, 2006, 20:13
jak66: TY i didnt see that :)

noquarter: im no coder, but i do like to figure out how the inner workings of the system work...unfortunatly, PRX's require C++ or C knowledge, and even tho i see a PRX i wanted to modify, i dont have the sdk library and i guess im not 100% confident that i know what im doin there :P

wish i could give more details on the chottoshot, but im clueless on that one :)

i dont recall seeing a chottoshot.prx in my 2.80 flash0, but if the chottoshot camera installs that prx, that may be one key to finding out flash0 read/write privledges in 2.80+...

*edit* well the cam prx is already in the firmware, but it still has to modify something, as does the sony updater....thats the key to finding a downgrader!

Tetris999
November 18th, 2006, 01:37
aye but u only have like 800kb after 2.71 SE-B'' is installed...the beautiful thing about this is u can always restore anything u delete through psp filer.

but there is no major system crash. i have been playing w/ the psp w/ no internet browser, no rss resouces, no location free tv and no stock mp3 player and my psp functions normally on all other aspects.

but worse case, if it does screw up the system, it is just as easy to put the files back.

hell today i replace my topmenu_plugin w/ one from a 1.00 firmware and bricked through pspfiler. magically tho i unbricked by putting back the original :O

THIS IS NOT FOR USE FOR KIDS OR THOSE WITH LACK OF INSIGHT TO FIX THEIR OWN MISTAKES. IF YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO BACK UP WHAT U DELETE OR TO KEEP A DUMP ON YOUR COMPUTER DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR FLASH0.

i agree with what you said but flashing is very very stressing and very dangerous plus recovery can only work through a type of downgrading which can also cause a brick the update to 2.71 se-b can cause a brick and the update to se-b" can cause a brick

im just saying thats this is totally not from someone with the faint of heart or, do not have 3 psps like you kando

kando
November 18th, 2006, 02:25
i agree with what you said but flashing is very very stressing and very dangerous plus recovery can only work through a type of downgrading which can also cause a brick the update to 2.71 se-b can cause a brick and the update to se-b" can cause a brick

wrong, you do not need to downgrade to recover.

this is not ment for young children to do on their psps :)

Destroyer699
November 18th, 2006, 03:21
Good job on finding this.

kando
November 18th, 2006, 03:27
thank u sir =)