PDA

View Full Version : amiga emulator for the nintendo DS

busta121
November 14th, 2006, 17:54
hi all is any one working on a amiga emulator for the ds or is there one out already?

Shane R. Monroe
November 14th, 2006, 20:15
As much as I love my DS, I don't ever expect to see an Amiga emulator. The hardware just isn't powerful enough for emulation.

I would suggest a GP2x for that sort of emulation.

xcom
March 21st, 2007, 07:15
That's crap, If you can emulate an Atari ST at nearly full speed with the first (Beta) build on the DS you can definitely emulate an Amiga system.

The DS is only about 5 or 10 times more powerful than the original Amiga system, so It really boils down to how good the person doing the programming is.

I hope someone is working on an Amiga emulator the DS can definitely handle it if it's coded the right way.

morpheux
April 26th, 2008, 23:44
Can you emulate a newer amiga system too?
Because I Will run Dos box amiGA on a normal amiga emu then I will run windows setup on DosBox
it is a great idea

axel000
May 13th, 2008, 02:00
That's crap, If you can emulate an Atari ST at nearly full speed with the first (Beta) build on the DS you can definitely emulate an Amiga system.

The DS is only about 5 or 10 times more powerful than the original Amiga system, so It really boils down to how good the person doing the programming is.

I hope someone is working on an Amiga emulator the DS can definitely handle it if it's coded the right way.

I would think that the Amiga's custom chipset is much harder to emulate than the ST, which is a far simpler design internally. Atari originally tried to buy Amiga but when that fell through they made their own less powerful machine, the ST.

Dragonic
May 13th, 2008, 17:08
An Amiga has 4 processors and the DS just 2. It would be hard to put all 4 on only two, not too powerful, processors. I really want an Amiga emulator, but I thinks it's really hard to fix. Well, let's see if someone succed. If so, I would be really happy :)

*EDIT* Another thing about the processors. They ar running on some Mhz each, so the machine is quite more powerful than the DS, I think. And that makes the thing even harder.

stefcep
May 18th, 2008, 02:03
to emulate convincingly the slowest Amiga the A500 on the PC you need at least a pentium 500 with a fast video card. It can't be done on 67 mhz DS.

Danief
May 20th, 2008, 22:00
what good games are there for amiga anyway? beside lemmings. (which has already been ported)

jesus 666
July 9th, 2008, 15:46
to emulate convincingly the slowest Amiga the A500 on the PC you need at least a pentium 500 with a fast video card. It can't be done on 67 mhz DS.I don't understand why not, I mean, the DS can emulate the Megadrive really well, which seems to me to have faster games that had better graphics and sound than the 500 ever did. Is the design so much more complicated for the Amiga :confused:

cYb0n
July 9th, 2008, 23:56
what good games are there for amiga anyway? beside lemmings. (which has already been ported)

There are LOTS of. IK+, ManiacMansion, Lotus 2, SWIV, Ghost'n'Goblins and more.... many more...
And if you say that all these games have been ported or are also released for AtariST oder some ohter console, then I can only reply: The Amiga-Version was always better than every other version of a game, isn't it so? :D

Amiga, I love you! :thumbup:

freddix
August 18th, 2008, 15:25
Hi,

@Jesus 666 : Heh !! You probably know Amiga 500 too few ... Technically Amiga 500 is more powerful than Sega Megadrive ... It can handle 64 colors EHB ( 32 + 32 Half Brite ) Special 4096 Colors HAM Mode, handle resolution up to 640x512 ( PAL, 640x480 NTSC) in 16 colors ... Far more than the Sega Megadrive can ;) More to this, Amiga 500 own 4 separate audio channel and games like Turrican II uses 7 simulated audio channel with the same quality than full 4 channels ... Amiga 500 is really more powerful than Megadrive ... Also take in consideration games that exist on both platform ... take a look at "Shadow of the beast" for example ... Amiga 500 version is 100.000 times more beautiful than Megadrive one .. it's due to another Amiga 500 specialty ... The "Raster" that allow it to use in fact 64 colors EHB per raster lines .... That mean that technically, if you games run in 320x192 pixels that Amiga 500 can display 192 * 32 colors ( *2 using EHB modes, in fact, it display 32 colors per line ) ... Can Megadrive do that ? .... no !

In fact the main problem emulating Amiga on the Nintendo DS will probably be these points :
- Amiga is builded like a game console, CPU 68000 7Mhz, Co-pro for Audio, Co-pro for blitting memory and graphics, Co-pro for displaying sprites, co-pro for color/bitmaps and raster .... That mean that Amiga 500 is not only a 7mhz CPU ... but a more complex "machine" to emulate ;)
- Many old amiga 500 games are not system friendly. That mean that these games directly uses internal register modifying instead of calling OS functions .. that makes emulation more difficult. You can see for examples games like Shadow of the beast that in the copper list (small program that control the display) call registers that are not officially defined by Commodore on the Amiga SDKs...
However, it can maybe be possible but I doubt that games will run on full speed on Nintendo DS ...

jesus 666
December 4th, 2008, 23:43
Hi,

@Jesus 666 : Heh !! You probably know Amiga 500 too few ... Technically Amiga 500 is more powerful than Sega Megadrive

Also take in consideration games that exist on both platform ... take a look at "Shadow of the beast" for example ... Amiga 500 version is 100.000 times more beautiful than Megadrive one .Yeah, but....Shadow of the Beast.... has awful graphics on both systems, it looks like a joke in comparison to Sonic 3, Gunstar Heroes, Ranger X, Alien Soldier, Dynamite Heady, Thunder Force 4, heck I could list hundreds of games on the Mega Drive that look better than Shadow of the Beast.

Also when looking at multi-format games what about Golden Axe? that was worse on the Amiga, Mercs?, Ghouls N' Ghosts? Strider?

I'm sure I heard somewhere that Turrican 3 and The Lion King both had to be downgraded from the Mega Drive to fit on the Amiga too.

crookedmouth
December 20th, 2008, 23:50
There have been a lot of arguments like this especially since the NeoGeo emulator was released. Many people have said "well if this can be emulated why not this 'weaker' system", but it just isn't that cut and dry with things like custom chips and more samples in audio and what not.

I have been wondering though about the possibility of the Sharp X68000, but I think it is more close to the Atari ST. I wonder if anyone has been looking into it?