PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War

Darksaviour69
November 17th, 2006, 15:56
I got my 360 about a month and a half ago, pre-owned at GAME for £250, and you could get a new game (with-in a list of 8) for £20 (instead of £50). So i got Just Cause.... its and ok game, but after you get over in the free falling view of the beuitfullisland, its clearlly a last gen game upgraded.

So i went down to xtra-vision last night for a friend who was trading in some games. I asked how much i would get for Just Cause, £22 cash, £32 trade...How much is Gears of War, £37 or £42 for collectors edition..

most shops are selling Gears for £50

So: £20 (just cause) + £5 = Gears of War... Sweet

only problem... i keep calling it "Clogs of War".... don't know why

beetroot bertie
November 23rd, 2006, 12:49
Last night I played Gears for the first time. It was the co-op mode round at a mates.

To be honest my first impressions weren't that great. Aside from the amazing graphics, I found the movement/controls/camera quite frustrating at times whereby my character would dive instead of hug the wall or hug the wall instead of diving etc. I was also annoyed that you have to crouch behind a bunch of sandbags before you can climb over them rather than just clamber over from standing position. The AI of your fellow soldiers is also a little suspect.

I have to admit that I only spent a couple of hours on it and a lot of my frustrations derived from my own ineptitude with the controls, but alas my first impressions weren't that great. I think I need to play it more to reflect more objectively but thought I'd post my initial response anyway to see if anyone else felt the same way.

Darksaviour69
November 23rd, 2006, 14:21
its great online, i played a few games with mate, not ranked games yet, want to finish the game first (on chapter 5 now, the last one)

I can see what you getting at, but once you get used to the controls, its lots of fun

beetroot bertie
November 23rd, 2006, 14:43
Yeah. A lot of my annoyances came from the controls. I'm sure that with a bit more play time and effort the quality of the game will shine. The guys at work love it and all the great reviews suggest that it is a cool game.

I think I would have liked the 'cover' and 'roll' to be mapped to different face buttons. A lot of the issues are due to me moving the stick whilst pressing 'a' and forcing the fella to do something I wasn't wanting him to do so I really need to practice more before I'll get anything out of it.

Based on time spent so far, I would say that I prefer the Lost Planet gameplay (based on the E6 demo on Xbox live) but I know that you need to play Gears in a particular way and that's something I'll need time to get used to.

I'm considering buying Gears, but am a little sceptical now after playing it last night. Is it worth 35 squid?