PDA

View Full Version : A first look at Rainbow Islands Evolution

gunntims0103
November 18th, 2006, 14:47
new from taito

http://pspupdates.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/73269/8_qjgenth.jpg

After having learned that developer Rising Star has a Rainbow Islands Evolution in the works, we immediately wished they'd share with us details or any information about the game. Call us old, sentimental fools, or whatever, but this Taito classic owns a special place in our hearts and we are very much looking forward to it. To our surprise, like a mana dropped from heaven, today we came across the game's first images.

Compared to the last time we saw it, Rainbow Islands Evolution looks evolved indeed in these screenshots, with the game moving to a 2D-3D like environment. Although, we wonder if this is a good move for Rising Star. During its hay day, the arcade game gained popularity with sprites and many actually prefer it that way. Anyway, that's just us and at any rate, we are still very excited about this title. For the mean time, we'll just have to content ourselves with these screenshots.

andyrob_24_7
November 28th, 2006, 10:55
This does look alot better than the DS title of a similar name!
Here’s hoping that they do a better conversion than they did on the DS. That minor disastor at least inspired me to return to the original to remind myself what it was I enjoyed about it so much.
http://gamepeople.wordpress.com/2006/11/10/rainbow-racing/

GobboFett
November 28th, 2006, 13:07
This does look alot better than the DS title of a similar name!
Here’s hoping that they do a better conversion than they did on the DS. That minor disastor at least inspired me to return to the original to remind myself what it was I enjoyed about it so much.
http://gamepeople.wordpress.com/2006/11/10/rainbow-racing/

What the hell are you talking about? WHAT is that link for, Rainbow Racing? Yes, the original was great and hopefully this will be too. Still never be as good as Bubble Bobble though :D

splodger15
November 28th, 2006, 15:43
Not my type of game

MikeDX
November 28th, 2006, 17:29
The arcade version emulated running on my PSP is much nicer ;)

Baboon
November 28th, 2006, 17:40
The arcade version emulated running on my PSP is much nicer ;)

It's just a shame theres no sound with the game on mame4all. :(

MikeDX
November 28th, 2006, 20:51
There is in MAMEPSP at 333mhz.. sadly only gets up to about 24fps :(

Baboon
November 28th, 2006, 21:43
There is in MAMEPSP at 333mhz.. sadly only gets up to about 24fps :(

I've just downloaed MAMEPSP... Top emulator! ...and I've only just clocked who you are! ...doh! :D

I've got Ms Pac Man, Green Beret (one of my old fav games - which crashed every 30 seconds on mame4all), Mario etc running very nicely with sound! :thumbup:

Your post mentioned that theres sound in Rainbow Islands on this emu, is this on a private beta that youve got or should Rainbow Islands (and Bubble Bobble) be supported on the v0.01 public beta?

MikeDX
November 28th, 2006, 22:08
I have a seperate build that runs bubble bobble, rainbow islands and new zealand story but sadly none of them are fast enough to be put into the main release builds :(

Baboon
November 28th, 2006, 22:14
I have a seperate build that runs bubble bobble, rainbow islands and new zealand story but sadly none of them are fast enough to be put into the main release builds :(

Thats fookin amazing that you have got em running! ...its just a real shame though if they are a bit to slow to play. :( .

I see that you first posted the beta on this site on May 15th, are you still working on this emulator?

MikeDX
November 28th, 2006, 23:17
Yeah I even compiled a version earlier ;)

Baboon
November 29th, 2006, 08:41
Yeah I even compiled a version earlier ;)

Ideal, that’s fantastic news! ...You’ve just made my week (the only other cool news being that I’m going Amsterdam on the weekend). :thumbup:

Good luck on getting any boosts with speed on the above mentioned games, or even improving compatibility.

You cant beat a bit retro gaming, and the arcades were the place to be back in the 80's and early 90's. Reliving those times again now on the PSP is the ultimate! :)