PDA

View Full Version : Is there an EASY-TO-USE program to make DREAMCAST discs?

DracIsBack
March 13th, 2005, 20:04
Good afternoon,

For a while, I've been lurking on some of the DREAMCAST Homebrew forums. There's a lot of really exciting stuff being made for the Dreamcast and I'd love to be running it on my own Dreamcast.

I'll cut to the chase in that I'm not a programmer or coder. I don't like to mess around with my computer to optimize it. I just want to click a few buttons and get playing.

When I come to this site, I start seeing things like "If you get stack errors" or "DiskJuggler Format" or "SelfBoot Inducing" etc and it's greek to me! And I suspect, amongst the millions of DC owners who want to try out these great new games and utilities on their Dreamcast, I'm probably in the majority.

So let me ask this question! For people like me that don't know what a "stack error" is or even want to know, is there an easy program that let's people like me stick in a blank CD, click a few buttons and create a DREAMCAST disc?

Ideally, I'd love to literally have a workflow like this:

1. Download the Dreamcast file to a folder on my hard drive.
2. Add the folder to a list of files for my CD.
3. Click BURN.
4. Put it in my Dreamcast and play.

The KISS principle -- really simple for people like me!

I made a little fake mockup, which I've attached? Does something like this exist on Windows or Macintosh?

fackue
March 13th, 2005, 20:22
Not exactly. There's a little more brain work to do than what you're hoping for.

BootDreams (http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/prj_bootdreams.shtml) will be the easiest you can get, IMO.

All you have to do it exact your program to a folder, make sure the disc structure looks right (the main bin file in the root, and any extra files maybe ROMs or videos).

You can use this to burn selfbooting CDs.

You may want to check out Selfboot Inducer. Very easy to use and you can put more than one program on a disc, saving you more discs.

http://dcevolution.net/DCHelp/Sbindv4_Tut.shtml

There's a simple tutoral for you to follow along with.

Here's how BootDreams looks like with a simple burning tool.

curt_grymala
March 14th, 2005, 00:14
Also, if you're more comfortable with Macintosh, IMWeasel put together MacDreamTool, which is essentially the same thing as SBInducer, but made for Mac. There is a Mac section at DCHelp if you want to check it out.

BootDreams, SBInducer and MDT are the three programs I highly recommend.

xtremebass2k
March 18th, 2005, 20:36
I dont know if this is what your lookin for but, I've been using Alchohol 120% (free trial ended) and I'll point it to the iso i want. Click ISO Burner and then set some options and then 2-3 three mins later its playable. Hope its Helped!

_AI_
March 18th, 2005, 21:11
You know, one of the best sites for starting out is www.dcemulation.com This is the place that got me started in working on my dreamcast. Plenty of helpful info here.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
March 26th, 2005, 23:22
If you could make that mockup image in whatever program you used to make it, you should definitely be able to use Selfboot Inducer. Get it and the game/emulator/demo files it uses at www.sbiffy.com

...word is bondage...