PDA

View Full Version : How many controllers does the Wii support?

Zeon
November 20th, 2006, 02:09
I was wondering because some Turbo Grafx games were up to 5 players, like Dungeon Explorer and Bomberman '93. I really hope it lets you use five controllers, as that was one of the great things about the Turbo Grafx. I mean if they are going to offer these games in the VC (I believe Dungeon Explorer is already available) surely they would have to allow for this, otherwise you are not getting the full experience.

chemical
November 20th, 2006, 10:23
I would imagine it will be 4 or 8. Try checking new games to see if it says 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, etc. My guess is its only 4 player and it would just say that theres only 4 controllers plugged in on 5 player games :/

curt_grymala
November 25th, 2006, 05:43
It would appear as though it only supports up to 4 controllers. All of the screens that show the Wii-motes show 4 of them (the ones that are active are illuminated on the screen, and the rest of them are grayed out).

Knux896
November 26th, 2006, 17:42
I was wondering because some Turbo Grafx games were up to 5 players, like Dungeon Explorer and Bomberman '93. I really hope it lets you use five controllers, as that was one of the great things about the Turbo Grafx. I mean if they are going to offer these games in the VC (I believe Dungeon Explorer is already available) surely they would have to allow for this, otherwise you are not getting the full experience.

As far as virtual console games it should be able to go as high as 8. The only way to do this however would be by using 4 classic controllers and 4 gamecube controllers. There can only be 4 remotes connected at a time as of now.

curt_grymala
November 26th, 2006, 21:06
As far as virtual console games it should be able to go as high as 8. The only way to do this however would be by using 4 classic controllers and 4 gamecube controllers. There can only be 4 remotes connected at a time as of now.

I think I've seen some people in the Nintendo forums saying that that doesn't work. For some reason, it still only allows you to play 4-player. If a GC controller is plugged into one of the GC slots, it apparently attaches itself to one of the existing players, so you can control your player with either the Wii controller or the GC controller.

Knux896
November 26th, 2006, 21:20
I think I've seen some people in the Nintendo forums saying that that doesn't work. For some reason, it still only allows you to play 4-player. If a GC controller is plugged into one of the GC slots, it apparently attaches itself to one of the existing players, so you can control your player with either the Wii controller or the GC controller.

While it is possible that there is some problem that is keeping more than 4 people playing, the information I posted is what was posted within the Wii Shop Channel itself. If you go to the info page for Bomberman '93 it says that it supports 1-5 players, but it requires at least one gamecube controller for the 5th player.

As far as regular games are concerned however, 4 players seem to be the limit with any gamecube controllers being ignored in favor of the Wii remotes.

Zeon
November 27th, 2006, 03:29
Ok, thanks for all of the info. I can't wait to get my Wii for Christmas; replaying all of those old games is going to be awesome. Although I do still have all of my original systems and games from over the years, (in fact I busted out with some Dungeon Explorer, Tricky Kick, and Bomberman '93 just yesterday), it would be nice to put my Turbo Duo away and not worry about breaking it for some time as it's getting old and turbo/pc-engine stuff = not cheap nowadays...

My main concern is if will feel right or come close to being as fun as playing the original. Probably not, but it will probably beat playing those games on my PC. I just hope they eventually get all of my old favorites on the VC.

It would be awesome if someone made a TurboPad to USB or GameCube controller (where do the classic controllers plug into again?) It would be great even if someone just made a converter for Nes controllers, since basically TurboPad = Nes controller in terms of button layout, with the TurboPad looking cooler and feeling more comfortable imo. I really don't like the classic controllers from what I have seen so far, and GC controllers really wouldn't seem right for me...

Anyways, thanks again for the info Knux896, I'm really glad they kept it authentic and have support for 5-players.

Knux896
November 27th, 2006, 05:55
Your welcome. Also, the classic controllers plug into the bottom of the Wii remote.

Zeon
November 27th, 2006, 05:57
Your welcome. Also, the classic controllers plug into the bottom of the Wii remote.

That's right, I couldn't remember if it was the Wii remote or usb, I guess it makes more sense that way.