PDA

View Full Version : Wii Gone Wrong!!!

Kramer
November 20th, 2006, 10:06
Here's evidence of what can go wrong when Nintendo's revolutionary controller becomes a projectile.

Nintendo's Wii prides itself on providing a radical new way to play games, but experiencing it properly may come at a hefty price for some.

After only 24 hours of release in the US, over-the-top motions have resulted in much pain for some gamers, with many reporting Wii-motes having hit ceiling fans, and other closeby objects. The worst case, though, comes from one unlucky consumer, whose Wii-mote was sent flying towards an expensive television, cracking the screen on impact.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6258/wiibreak1ut3.jpg
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9026/wiibreak4qv8.jpg

Be warned: Sweaty hands + faulty Wiimote wrist strap = broken ass TV.

Source: SomethingAwful (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2183346)

Martin
November 20th, 2006, 10:32
rofl, sturdier wrist wraps perhaps? :p

phoebus
November 20th, 2006, 11:24
DAMN!! That's wicked!! :o

Is there anything we can do to "re-inforce" the wrist strap? Would hate to have to worry that it might fly off while playing! :s Maybe buy a glove and wear it every time we play...? :s

bah
November 20th, 2006, 11:36
I told you kids, no playing wii sports in the dam house@@#!!

compoman386
November 20th, 2006, 11:43
Thats a nice story, but from the pic it really looks like the string was cut post incident.

I reckon the force needed for a wiimote to fly at a tv screen and actually crack it that badly means they probably threw the thing at the screen after sucking really bad at Wii-Tennis

C0R3F1GHT3R
November 20th, 2006, 11:51
its called GRIP! have it on ur remote while swinging it... and it does indeed look to be cut

karsten
November 20th, 2006, 12:52
even tought i'm not a wii enthusiast, i have tosay that the crack looks photoshopped and that cable looks cut down.

those kind os straps can resist to tractions OVER 50 kg.... how can you do such a traction while playing?

Darksaviour69
November 20th, 2006, 12:56
if you follow the link, you will find more pics of the cracked screen, and it does not looked photoshoped

karsten
November 20th, 2006, 13:02
if you follow the link, you will find more pics of the cracked screen, and it does not looked photoshoped

funny :D it seems he was playing without wrist strap :D

edited: it seems that the problem is widespread and even happened ti IGN reviewers (they didn't broke the screen tought :D)

Kramer
November 20th, 2006, 13:16
Yeah it's definitely real. I wouldnt post fake news unlike Djk.

mnuhaily22
November 20th, 2006, 13:19
Wii SUCKS!!!!(If this is real).

compoman386
November 20th, 2006, 13:24
The crack in the screen may be real but I reckon they cut the wrist strap afterwards so they could blame faulty design.
Those kinds of nylon strap are like what u get with a digi-camera, they are one piece of cord both ends of which are then secured in the plastic, for it to be broken like in the pic it would have to have snapped whilst playing and as someone mentioned already they are pretty strong.

Also it just really, really looks like they cut it cleanly and then fluffed the ends up a little bit.

Kramer
November 20th, 2006, 13:31
Wii SUCKS!!!!(If this is real).

lol STFU fanboy.:p

Anyway now that I think about it T.V. glass is like 20mm thick I think the wii remote would of broken before the glass but who knows:confused:

iniquitous_beast
November 20th, 2006, 13:53
too real, I'm afraid. I was showing my wii to a friend last night. He played aggressively, and next thing I knew, the wii-mote had crashed into my dreamcast. Wii-mote and DC still work fine, but the strap broke, just like the one in the photo. I can't wait until some third party comes up with an improved strap. My room has stuff that is much more fragile than a dreamcast.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the game we were playing was wii-sports: Tennis. Surprised?

Kramer
November 20th, 2006, 14:02
lol that sucks, but at least you have a Wii though I have to wait 16 day's.

Now im going to have to think about how I can reinforce it because we have a huge fish tank in the loundroom and I wouldnt wont a wiimote flying threw that:eek:

Ryupowerup
November 20th, 2006, 14:57
it says to use wrist strap now you know why

compoman386
November 20th, 2006, 15:05
Maybe people should try like, not letting go of it?

If I am playing tennis, and I let go of the racquet, and it hits somebody in the head, or breaks something, its hardly the racquets fault.........

iniquitous_beast
November 20th, 2006, 15:17
Those kinds of nylon strap are like what u get with a digi-camera, they are one piece of cord both ends of which are then secured in the plastic, for it to be broken like in the pic it would have to have snapped whilst playing and as someone mentioned already they are pretty strong.

Also it just really, really looks like they cut it cleanly and then fluffed the ends up a little bit.

After reading your comment, I found my digital camera to inspect its cord and to compare it to the wii wrist strap. I have determined that the nylon cords used for cameras seem to be very smooth and flexible, in addition to being quite strong. The wii wrist strap, on the other hand, is made of a rougher material, perhaps a mixture of cotton and nylon. It also seems a bit stiffer and dryer.

I would guess that the material surrounding the plastic core is not well-suited to sudden shocks, and will tear if tension increases on it too quickly, leaving nothing but the thin plastic core, which breaks cleanly under sudden strain. Thus you have the fluffy ends, from the fabric pulling itself apart, and the cleanly broken plastic core, from the sudden tension.

Still, this problem can be easily fixed by using a different strap (and by keeping a tight hold on your wii-mote). Remember, all consoles have their launch defects, and this one is very minor compared to those of other consoles, past and present.

finniruse
November 20th, 2006, 16:33
People will try anything to have a go at nintendo, how is that their fault, if you ask me any 1 who is being that aggressive with the pad is only asking for trouble... retards!

compoman386
November 20th, 2006, 16:40
People will try anything to have a go at nintendo, how is that their fault, if you ask me any 1 who is being that aggressive with the pad is only asking for trouble... retards!

I Agree, Its like tripping over the cables from an "old style" controller, landing on the console and breaking it and then saying it was the manufactures fault!

muffinman
November 20th, 2006, 17:27
unlucky for the guy whos tv broke though. Time to get out that unused psp wrist strap :) (yes sony is good for something)

TCLCloud
November 20th, 2006, 17:56
Ha, thats unlucky

bah
November 20th, 2006, 18:05
Anyway now that I think about it T.V. glass is like 20mm thick I think the wii remote would of broken before the glass but who knows:confused:

A CRT TV has glass, from that pic it looks like a rear projection screen. Those, lcds and plasmas all have thin outer screens that are relatively breakable compared to an old fashioned set.

Kramer
November 20th, 2006, 18:09
A CRT TV has glass, from that pic it looks like a rear projection screen. Those, lcds and plasmas all have thin outer screens that are relatively breakable compared to an old fashioned set.

oh ok I dont know much about all the new T.v's

BTW if you dont mind me asking WTF are you still awake for. it's 2am in the morning lol.

Dee-Lite
November 20th, 2006, 18:23
Oh man this thread has given me so much laughter!!! haha!

Anyways, so the strap you get with the mote, are we talking the same as the ones you get with the DS? If not then perhaps you could try that. I find the ds chord pretty strong although admitidly my ds strap is attached to another strap before connecting to the DS. I've never had any trouble so far, but then i've never tried making tennis swings with my DS either lol

Dee

iniquitous_beast
November 20th, 2006, 18:38

You can't be so hard on people. This is a new control setup. when the strap broke for me yesterday, my friends and I had barely 7 hours of experience with this new controller. It takes people a while to develop the reflexes and muscle control for a new control device. Besides, in wii tenis, I can only assume that a faster swing in real life will result in a faster swing in-game. Only time and experimentation will tell whether that is true or not, but when people get very excited while in a heated multiplayer match, they will surely swing fast and hard.

This wrist strap is like a seat belt in a car. Hopefully you will never need it, but you should always wear it. If a seat belt were to break, and you were to smash yourself on the steering column, you would be quite upset about the fragile seat belt. I hold that this is and will indeed be a problem for nintendo, and I foresee a new wrist strap design in nintendo's future.

Finally, this is not simply a matter of people "bashing" nintendo products. My projectile wii-mote still works fine. However, it is fair to warn the public that the wrist strap does not guarantee protection from flying wii-motes.

People will eventually get better at using the wii-mote, and they will eventually stop flailing wildly at their televisions. In the mean time, they should be cautious. They should not play near large glass windows (open or closed), and they should keep their fragile things away from their entertainment centers.

P.S. - this reminds me of my first fishing pole. When I was a child, I had a one-button type of child's pole. I threw it into the lake by accident too many times to remember. (Remember, release the button as you swing; do not release the pole as you swing. This especially applies to wii bowling.)

the_eternal_dark
November 20th, 2006, 21:44
Just don't let go of the remote when you are swinging it like a moron. I could see it breaking if you are swinging by the strap, but come on, it would be expected to snap under that kind of use. The nunchuk doesn't have a strap and I haven't seen anything about morons throwing their nunchuks and screwing up the connectors or throwing then into fans or anything else.

Common sense people, it's not going to hold itself in your hand.

woods05
November 21st, 2006, 05:41
that is the sign of a Wii-tard.

SnesR0X
November 21st, 2006, 08:34
too muc wii power

Video_freak
November 21st, 2006, 08:38
That's why you swing the Wii-mote with restraint. :rolleyes:

Dee-Lite
November 21st, 2006, 12:53
morons :D :D :D

Dee

pibs
November 21st, 2006, 14:01
Tape that shet to ur hands :) all i have to say

man do these people exagerate with their systems.

robocelot
November 21st, 2006, 18:36

You're right. Further to that, once you break a CRT screen you lose the partial vacuum in the tube so you would not see any picture. An electron beam will not go very far in air and not even come close to hitting the phosphors.

Video_freak
November 21st, 2006, 18:38
Tape that shet to ur hands :) all i have to say.
Um, what if they suddenly have to pee? :rofl:
I'd pay good money to see that. :D

robocelot
November 21st, 2006, 18:43
Maybe people should try like, not letting go of it?

If I am playing tennis, and I let go of the racquet, and it hits somebody in the head, or breaks something, its hardly the racquets fault.........

Let me play Devil's Advocate here -- someone who bowls a lot might have problems holding onto the Wiimote since they will subconsciously let go of the ball at the bottom the arc. Once you've learned the behavior it's hard to shake that habit.

So, I can see in this instance where Wii Bowling will be problems. In fact, the official Nintendo video of someone playing WiiSports Bowling has them running at the screen like they were really bowling in a lane -- something you don't actually have to do to play the game!

But if you keep letting go of your racket in Tennis there's no hope for you. Those people should probably stay away from any sport for their own and others health. :-)

TacticalBread
November 22nd, 2006, 02:09
lol STFU fanboy.:p

Apparently he says he has a 60 inch rear projection TV, which is what I have, and it has no glass. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's not glass. I don't know, but I think this guy is trying to make Wii look bad.

Junixx
November 22nd, 2006, 03:18
Ok, look at the crack, and then look at the TV in that picture.

I noticed that the crack is staring strait at you while the TV is at an angle, that is one magic crack.

(Or at least in my eyes in that picture is what im seeing)